Sgt Pepper 40th and the BBC

Sheddy
Sheddy Posts: 942
edited December 1969 in Campaign
Can't believe the BBC are still milking this.
Agreed that in 1967 it was a jolly good album but today I'm not fussed if I never hear it again.
Too much of anything is too much for me

Comments

• redcogs
    redcogs Posts: 3,232
    Satan.

<font size="1">please look up to the stars.. </font id="size1"><font size="6"><font color="red">***</font id="red"></font id="size6">
    <font size="1">please look up to the stars.. </font id="size1"><font size="6"><font color="red">***</font id="red"></font id="size6">
  • Tone deaf Satan.

Nobody ever got laid because they were using Shimano
  • redcogs
    Tone deaf uncultured foolish satan.

• ChrisLS
    ChrisLS Posts: 2,749
    ...still don't rate it as their best album...but, hey I hope the beeb release the recordings on CD...
    ...all the way...'til the wheels fall off and burn...
  • 1967 saw the release of some great albums, but sadly Sgt. Pepper was not one of them
  • SATANcp
    SATANcp Posts: 46
    OI! WATCH YOUR LANGUAGE.[}:)]

Please allow me to introduce myself...
    Please allow me to introduce myself...
  • ChrisLS
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by skut</i>

1967 saw the release of some great albums, but sadly Sgt. Pepper was not one of them
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

[?]

...so what were they skut?
  • mangaman
    mangaman Posts: 704
    How about "The Banana album" by the Velvets and Nico

<font size="5"><b><font color="blue">|</font id="blue"><font color="red">|</font id="red"><font color="black">|</font id="black"><font color="yellow">|</font id="yellow"><font color="green">|</font id="green"></b></font id="size5">
  • Melvil
    Melvil Posts: 2,219
    Is it a bad thing to say that I've never really liked the beatles - and furthermore that I think they were one of the earliest examples of how hype and peer-pressure can transform fairly dull music?

******************************************************************************
    See Baby Elephants and more at: http://www.flickr.com/photos/47331519@N00/
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    I never want to hear it in the first place thanks

SIZE IS EVERYTHING! or at least that's what my LBS tells me.
  • Uncle Mort
    Uncle Mort Posts: 1,124
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Melvil</i>

Is it a bad thing to say that I've never really liked the beatles - and furthermore that I think they were one of the earliest examples of how hype and peer-pressure can transform fairly dull music?

Of course it's not a bad thing - although liking the Beatles is probably one of the new "nationality" tests [:)]. I'd rate "Are You Experienced" by Jimi Hendrix (also from '67) above Sgt. Peppers any day of the week. I like some Beatles stuff but I'd only rate a Day in the Life from that album.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by mangaman</i>

How about "The Banana album" by the Velvets and Nico<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Never heard of them [|)]
  • mangaman
    You ought to give it a try

I still listen to Venus in Furs / Sunday morning / I'll be your mirror even though I've had the album about 15 years

I quite like Sgt Peppers but I haven't listened to any of it for years

<font size="5"><b><font color="blue">|</font id="blue"><font color="red">|</font id="red"><font color="black">|</font id="black"><font color="yellow">|</font id="yellow"><font color="green">|</font id="green"></b></font id="size5">
  • Davs1
    Davs1 Posts: 97
    You really must hear it. It is actually just called The Velvet Underground and Nico. You will get it at any decent CD/Record shop. It is undoubtedly the best debut album ever released and certainly in the top 10 albums of all time.

Virtually every "new, exciting" rock band of the last 30 years or more has basically nicked one, two or more aspects of the Velvets sound. Having said that, if it was released tomorrow it would still sound groundbreaking.

If it ain't fixed, it's broken
    If it ain\'t fixed, it\'s broken
  • papercorn2000
    papercorn2000 Posts: 4,517
    Wasn't Pet Sounds released about the same time?
    Pretty good year for memorable albums.

The VU + Nico album is WAAAAY ahead of its time. Despite the fact that the German bint couldn't find a tune in an overstocked cough-sweetie shop.

God told me to skin you alive.
    http://www.ekroadclub.co.uk/
    God told me to skin you alive.
    http://www.ekroadclub.co.uk/
  • Alan H
    Alan H Posts: 159
    So, which artist sold the most records in the Summer of Love that was 1967? Entries on the back of an email please.
  • Such as.....

The Velvet Underground and nico
    Captain Beefheart - Safe as Milk
    Absolutely Free - Frank Zappa
    piper at the gates of dawn - Pink Floyd
    a rainbow in curved air - terry riley
    axis: bold as love - hendrix
    Moby Grape
    Godz 2

Seriously, some of the tracks on Sgt. Pepper are truly lame. "Within you, without you" anyone? When I'm 64?
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Alan H</i>

So, which artist sold the most records in the Summer of Love that was 1967? Entries on the back of an email please.

Cliff Richard?
  • Alan H
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by skut</i>
    Cliff Richard?

At this very moment singing Summer Holiday on Ireland's Radio Clare, but not the right answer.
  • mangaman
    Was it Engelbert Humperdink?

• redcogs
    Most comments above are interesting, but don't take enough into account the historical context of the release of Sgt Pepper.

As an example Harrison's song 'Within you Without you' can be read today as a load of embarrassing and judgemental drivel coming from the pen of a total hypocrite. But at the time, it cut with an anti materialist, anti racist (indian influences), plea for love and human understanding grain that was on the ascendant..

All too sadly, the optimistic possibilities of that heady time wavered and we all either lost our way or chose different less inclusive 'philosophies'.

Pepper stands up because it is full of insights and expresses them in an accessible nostalgic way, offering some pointers and criticisms of our ills, and not a few encouragements to the better side of our humanity.

Lame today? Maybe. Then, in 1967, it was electrifying. i still listen to it periodically.

• Alan H
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by mangaman</i>

Was it Engelbert Humperdink?

Strange but true. Mangaman, you have won a copy of the great man's Greatest Hits
  • mangaman
    Thanks Alan - great prize! In a fit of generosity I'll let you keep it though

I agree redcogs - for me it's impossible to listen to any Beatles songs dispassionately as I've heard them so many times

I still think the Velvet Underground album must have been even more of a mind-blower in 1967 (imagine hearing heroin for the first time) but I suppose the difference is it hardly sold any copies at the time

• ChrisLS
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by redcogs</i>

Most comments above are interesting, but don't take enough into account the historical context of the release of Sgt Pepper.

As an example Harrison's song 'Within you Without you' can be read today as a load of embarrassing and judgemental drivel coming from the pen of a total hypocrite. But at the time, it cut with an anti materialist, anti racist (indian influences), plea for love and human understanding grain that was on the ascendant..

All too sadly, the optimistic possibilities of that heady time wavered and we all either lost our way or chose different less inclusive 'philosophies'.

Pepper stands up because it is full of insights and expresses them in an accessible nostalgic way, offering some pointers and criticisms of our ills, and not a few encouragements to the better side of our humanity.

Lame today? Maybe. Then, in 1967, it was electrifying. i still listen to it periodically.

...yes you are so right Redcogs.

I don't think St Peppers was their masterpiece, maybe Revolver or The White Album...

Skut, don't dispute your list of albums, there was some great music being made, but even Hendrix could appreciate the acheivement of St. Peppers.

I think Revolver was released after, and as a result of, Pet Sounds, as Lennon and McCartney were always out to try and better the Beach Boys(Brian Wilson).

Also don't forget what Dylan had been doing, his music had been pushing back frontiers, and also, he was the person who introduced the Beatles to drugs...
  • jackhunt
    jackhunt Posts: 49
    Listen to it as most people would have done in 67 - in Mono. A totally different listening experience - far harder rocking and not fay an whimsical as the stereo version
  • Alan H
    And don't forget that Pepper - the first concept album - introduced a raft of techniques and studio wizzardry that soon became standard practice, not to mention, apparently, gatefold sleeves and printed lyrics.
  • Flying_Monkey
    Flying_Monkey Posts: 8,708
    1967 was a fantastic year for music - 'Surrealistic Pillow' AND 'After Bathing at Baxters' by Jefferson Airplane, Velvets Hendrix and Zappa (already mentioned), two Buffalo Springfield albums, 'Mr Fantasy' by Traffic, the Stones' Their Satanic Majesties Request, 'Something Else' by the Kinks (very underrated and one of the best UK albums of the late 60s IMHO)...

and...

... 'Forever Changes' by Love, which kicks 7 shades of everything out of any other album released that year... RIP Arthur Lee.

Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety

Now I guess I'll have to tell 'em
    That I got no cerebellum
  • redcogs
    We might all agree that '67 represents a bit of a 'golden age' for music in general 'Monkey, but why so non committal on the OP?

• Flying_Monkey
    Flying_Monkey Posts: 8,708
    I think I am pretty clear which is my favourite album of that year - 'Forever Changes' - and by some distance, and I even prefer the Velvets and the Kinks' albums to Sgt Peppers... it isn't even my favourite Beatles album, although I rate 'A Day in the Life' very highly. Had Strawberry Fields Forever (from the same sessions) been on it, I might have been a little more persuaded...

But I wasn't alive at the time so have so personal recollection of its immediate impact, but then immediate impact isn't everything... incidentally I'm very odd anyway, in that my favourite Beatles songs are (chosing one from each of the three main songwriters: 'Dear Prudence', 'Hey Bulldog' and 'Its All Too Much' - what an awesome piece of utterly powerful laid-back over-the-top feedbacked, shockwaved, multitracked psychedelia that is...)

Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety

Now I guess I'll have to tell 'em
    That I got no cerebellum
  • Have given it many chances but can never quite seem to get along with Forever Changes by Love.....

..... 's better than Sgt. Pepper though [8D]