Helmet-free day...

mazcp
mazcp Posts: 953
edited June 2007 in Commuting chat
The combination of sweat and rain last night made my helmet unwearable this morning. The stench made me wretch (I think it's the straps that hold all the cacky water)...it was almost as bad as my shoes, but they're a lot further away from my nose.

Rode to work without it. If you normally wear a helmet, try it sometime. It's very liberating!

Comments

• Mister Paul
    Mister Paul Posts: 719
    Can't you take the pads out and wash them?

• domtyler
    domtyler Posts: 2,648
    edited February 2011
    Just throw it away and buy a nice peaked cap instead, I bought two new ones yesterday from Condor so I now have one to match every one of my Jerseys [:)]. One is even Assos!! [:o]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Porridge not Petrol
    ________
    Smoke kills
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Porridge not Petrol
  • what DT said, chuck it. you know you want to

Jonny
    FGG #2545 & #2983
    Jonny

FGG 2545, 2983
  • mazcp
    I AM gonna chuck it, deffo...but what's a peaked cap? Is it like a baseball cap for cycling?
  • much smaller peak, baseball cap peaks can flap about a bit in the wind.
    I like the Rapha ones, although someone will no doubt tell me I'm a deluded fakenger with too much disposable.....
  • snakehips
    snakehips Posts: 2,272
    Since the arrival of the warmer weather I have left my helmet in the airing cupboard overnight.
    For the first few days I had a problem remembering where it was in the morning but I'm through that phase now.

Snake
    'Follow Me' the wise man said, but he walked behind!
  • mazcp
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by snakehips</i>

Since the arrival of the warmer weather I have left my helmet in the airing cupboard overnight.
    For the first few days I had a problem remembering where it was in the morning but I'm through that phase now.

Snake
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
    Problem now is you don't know where the airing cupboard is. By next week you won't even remember where you live.
  • graham_g
    graham_g Posts: 652
    Stopped using mine a week or two ago - so much better, just need to get myself a second cap for colour matching [:D]
  • richteacp
    richteacp Posts: 1,137
    I ordered one of these the other day but can't quite bring myself to wear it now. [:I]

<font size="1">--
    esta elefante del beb‚ me molesta</font id="size1">
    <font size="1">--
  • mazcp
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by richtea</i>

I ordered one of these the other day but can't quite bring myself to wear it now. [:I]
    Sooo, is that a peaked cap, then? I see what you mean, richtea. No offence, it looks like something from a byegone age. Deffo not my cuppa tea.
    Each to his own, I suppose.
  • richteacp
    richteacp Posts: 1,137
    It is a peaked cap. Yes, I think I'd look a bit silly. And I'm not from Brooklyn.

<font size="1">--
    <font size="1">--
  • domtyler
    domtyler Posts: 2,648
    edited February 2011
    This is the one I got. If you prefer a funny plastic mushroom hat..., well each to his own I suppose.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Porridge not Petrol
    ________
    LAOS RECIPES
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Porridge not Petrol
  • mazcp
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by domtyler</i>

This is the one I got. If you prefer a funny plastic mushroom hat..., well each to his own I suppose.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Porridge not Petrol
    Gimme a plastic mushroom any day.
    Do they do those caps in Burberry?
  • Brock_71
    Brock_71 Posts: 775
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by maz</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by richtea</i>

Sooo, is that a peaked cap, then? I see what you mean, richtea. No offence, it looks like something from a byegone age. Deffo not my cuppa tea.
    Each to his own, I suppose.

<font size="2">How about a buff maz? You'll probably end up looking like a pirate or some kind of bronx hoolibum but they're undeniably comfortable, cool, warm, sweat wicking etc.</font id="size2">

<hr noshade size="1"><font size="1">A bicycle is for life, not just for Christmas.</font id="size1">
    <hr noshade size="1"><font size="1">A bicycle is for life, not just for Christmas.</font id="size1">
  • Hairy Jock
    Hairy Jock Posts: 558
    I make every day a Helmet-free day, it so much more comfortable...

A hirsute Scotsman.

Best advice I ever got was "better get a bike then"
    Cycle commuting since 1994. Blog with cycle bits.
    Best advice I ever got was "better get a bike then"
    Cycle commuting since 1994. Blog with cycle bits.
    Also with the old C+ crowd at Cycle Chat.
  • mazcp
    @Brock71...I like it. Kinda funky, versatile, lightweight, washable etc etc. I'm gonna get one.
    Have you seen their 'ways to wear' videos? They're as slick as snot, no kidding.
    Cheers.
  • Brock_71
    Brock_71 Posts: 775
    Heh yeah I've watched the videos, I ordered one for my girl originally and it came with a dvd full of those 'how to wear' videos, and about an hour of footage of super adventurers kayaking, mountaineering etc all wearing buffs and accompanied by funky music.
    I liked the feel of hers so much I bought myself one of the summer ones with extra UV protection, since I generally shave my head, and I've found it invaluable on bicycle tours and commuting.

• b@kes
    b@kes Posts: 9
    I feel very exposed without a helmet on.

You could get a spare pair of pads and use them in rotation.