Oi mate! Nice ass!

Jacomus-rides-Gen
Jacomus-rides-Gen Posts: 453
edited June 2007 in Commuting chat
This morning was definitely an odd journey in, handlebar problems persist, and my left cleat won't bl**dy well stay where I put it, on the other hand it is sunny, I had zen-powerlegs and a fine selection of green lights.

Bizzare Incident #1 happend going round Parliament Square as a yoof hung out of his car window filming me on his phone as his mate drove. I've never been filmed before, the nly downside is that I know they weren't doing it because they thought I looked cool [:(]

Bizzare Incident #2 happened coming away from Westminster down the hill something suddenly felt horribly wrong with my rear wheel, like I'd suddenly lost the tension in the spokes. I carefully slowed down and pulled off the road and onto the pavement to inspect the damage. Almost as soon as I was off the road a truck screeched to a stop over the line at the traffic lights where I would have been waiting (No rlj arguments please!). Almost the whole truck was over the line, I would not have like to be there. I went back to checking my bike - absolutely nothing was wrong. I got back on and rode gingerly for a bit, but she was absolutely fine.

Bizzare Incident #3 was about 5 mins later when there suddenly wasn't any traffic around me at all. I've had it happen before once, and it was just as wierd. The road was completely empty for about 4 minutes until I got off at Blackfriars.

Bizzare Incident #4 was when a skip driver and mate in the cab shouted "OI MATE! Nice bum!"

So strange as I usually don't really encounter anything much!

What wierd incident have other people had on their commutes?

Comments

• el_presidente
    el_presidente Posts: 1,963
    I saw about 100 horses being led around the Regents Park outer circle by the Army.
    <a>road</a>
  • ChrisLS
    ChrisLS Posts: 2,749
    ...not a commute, but once when I was riding the route of a Romann road on my mountain bike, and miles from anywhere, I came across a group of people, male and female, all dressed very smartly, suits, posh frocks, standing in a field...
    ...all the way...'til the wheels fall off and burn...
  • ChrisLS
    ChrisLS Posts: 2,749
    ...by the way Jacomus that was one hell of a wierd ride to work...the back wheel thing sounds like a power greater than us was at work!
    ...all the way...'til the wheels fall off and burn...
  • domtyler
    domtyler Posts: 2,648
    edited February 2011
    Weirdest feeling I can remember lately was back in the Winter when we had that really windy spell and one day cycling home when there were gusts of 90mph +. I got to a nice straight stretch of road with the wind behind me and suddenly all the traffic noise kind of faded away, then all the other street noise and I realised I was absolutely flying along but with hardly any effort, sailing past cars going at the 30 limit all in this kind of bubble of silence. Was a very peaceful and serene feeling which only lasted for 30 seconds max, but I can still remember it clearly now. Maybe I was in the eye of the storm?

Most scary was last summer on my own out in lanes of Essex/Herts somwhere, heard this crackling kind of noise and other commotion coming from the field I was cycling past. Then through a gap in the hedge realised that they were shooting pheasants and firing in my direction. I shat myself and just got down as low as poss and hammered it until I was through.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Porridge not Petrol
    ________
    Smoke Kills
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Porridge not Petrol
  • peejay78
    peejay78 Posts: 3,378
    i see those horses - they are led up oxford street and marylebone high street every morning at around 7.20. it's quite a sight.

winter: http://tinyurl.com/2xkbbs
    summer: http://tinyurl.com/2hsagv
  • dubnobass
    dubnobass Posts: 337
    I think they come from all directions Peej - I've been behind them a few times when they've gone en masse down Charing Cross Road, through Trafalger Square and then up the Mall.

<font size="1">If I had a baby elephant, I'd re-enact THAT scene from Blue Peter, with John Noakes, on a daily basis. Wouldn't you? <i>"Ooh, gerroff me foot!"</i></font id="size1">
    Only so many songs can be sung with two lips two lungs and one tongue
  • As far as strange things go, I saw ducks and geese hiding from the rain this morning. Unlucky for me, I was far away from home and even further away from the office...
  • BentMikey
    BentMikey Posts: 4,895
    Talking about horses, I once picked up a gold Royal Horse Guards button in the park, I was well chuffed!

<font size="1">My bikes
    My skates</font id="size1">

If I had a baby elephant, I'd teach it to skate.
  • Hackbike 6
    Hackbike 6 Posts: 3,116
    Bloody trainspotters.[xx(]

<font color="green"><font size="1">Hackbike 8 Commuting Debut 09/09/2006</font id="green"></font id="size1"><font size="1"><font color="blue">Dawes Audax 2006</font id="blue"></font id="size1"><font size="1"><font color="green"> New 20/09/2006</font id="green"><font color="red"> </font id="red"></font id="size1">
    <font color="blue">
    <font size="1"><font color="red"> Cycle Commuting since 1981 </font id="red"></font id="blue"></font id="size1">
    <font color="blue">
    <font size="1">Cycling Proficiency Test 24 May 1977</font id="blue"><font color="red"><font size="1"> (30 years ago)</font id="size1"></font id="red"></font id="size1">

<font size="1"><font color="red"> Ride to work part 1 of 8 http://tinyurl.com/ypjapc</font id="size1"></font id="red">
    <font color="red"><font size="1">Ride to work part 2 of 8 </font id="size1"></font id="red"><font size="1">http://tinyurl.com/2jfagu</font id="size1">
    <font color="red"><font size="1">Ride to work part 3 of 8</font id="red"></font id="size1"><font size="1"> http://tinyurl.com/2jcldv </font id="size1">

How not to lock a bike. http://i14.tinypic.com/52355zr.jpg
  • Norvcp
    Norvcp Posts: 1,485
    I got to shout, "Oi knobcheese, what the **** are you doing?!" at a white van man yesterday when he pulled out in front of me (forcing me to do an emergency stop) on a roundabout in Clifton. [:)]
    That's about as exciting as it gets riding around Bristol.

"Prejudice burns brighter when it's all we have to burn"

"Prejudice burns brighter when it\'s all we have to burn"
  • Buggi
    Buggi Posts: 674
    i pulled up at a set of traffic lights while riding home with a friend and encountered the most weird sight. on the other side of the lights was what i can only describe as a "waterfall". Bright sunshine on our side of the lights and rain so heavy on the other side it looked like a wall of water, you could draw a line in the road where it started. i've never seen anything like it, it was especially weird because of the intensity of the rain, it's not like it was spitting and then 50 yards in raining hard, it looked like niagra falls.

we both looked at each other and grinned and when the lights changed raced into it. best soaking i've ever had. [:D]

To infinity... and beyond!
    my epic adventure: www.action.org.uk/~Antonia

• Black Keith
    Black Keith Posts: 224
    I once saw an inebriated couple having a fight in the street one morning..

the "lady" was punching the **** out of her bloke, as he cowered he shouted "Jaaysoos Chroist! what sorta woman are ye?!"

he really took some quite full-on whacks.

I'd say they were definitely married.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Buggi</i>

i pulled up at a set of traffic lights while riding home with a friend and encountered the most weird sight. on the other side of the lights was what i can only describe as a "waterfall". Bright sunshine on our side of the lights and rain so heavy on the other side it looked like a wall of water, you could draw a line in the road where it started. i've never seen anything like it, it was especially weird because of the intensity of the rain, it's not like it was spitting and then 50 yards in raining hard, it looked like niagra falls.[:D]

Once rode 40 miles from Oxford to Leamington in the rain with bright sunshine up to about 100yds ahead. We caught up with aformentioned sunshine after massive effort, doing bit and bit, when the road turned about 45 degrees and we re-entered the rain.

Arrived home seriously tee'd off

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Organising the Bradford Kids Saturday Bike Club at the Richard Dunn Sports Centre since 1998
    Organising the Bradford Kids Saturday Bike Club at the Richard Dunn Sports Centre since 1998
    http://www.facebook.com/groups/eastbradfordcyclingclub/
    http://www.facebook.com/groups/eastbradfordcyclingclub/
  • Cunobelin
    Cunobelin Posts: 11,792
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">trainspotters<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Surely - Locomotive and rolling stock recognition executive

Please keep up with the times!

<b><i>He that buys land buys many stones.
    He that buys flesh buys many bones.
    He that buys eggs buys many shells,
    But he that buys good beer buys nothing else.</b></i>
    (Unattributed Trad.)
    <b><i>He that buys land buys many stones.
    He that buys flesh buys many bones.
    He that buys eggs buys many shells,
    But he that buys good beer buys nothing else.</b></i>
    (Unattributed Trad.)
  • Tynancp
    Tynancp Posts: 160
    no real bother today other than stacks of traffic, loads of bikes

London to Brighton yesterday, no end of excitement and incident
  • dondare
    dondare Posts: 2,113
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Jacomus-rides-Gen</i>

Bizzare Incident #4 was when a skip driver and mate in the cab shouted "OI MATE! Nice bum!"

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Was he correct?

This sig is under construction.
    This post contains traces of nuts.
  • Ant Evans
    Ant Evans Posts: 344
    Weirdest moment was probably rounding a corner on the River Taff in the dark with big lights, and coming face to face with a long row of foxy orange luminescent eyes. It was like being on a game drive in darkest Africa.

Calm is an arm.

Calm is an arm.
  • dondare - I like to think so! I am the proud owner of a very pert cycling bum.