Insurance Black List - E&L (Evans)

rjl6789
rjl6789 Posts: 31
edited June 2007 in Workshop
I had insured my bike with the policy offered by Evans (œ750). This is underwritten by a company called E&L. Under no circumstances should you consider using them. My bike was locked to a secure anchor in my shed which is in my back yard and also locked. Theives climbed over the 8ft high walls surrounding the yard, broke into the shed and then broke the lock before making off with the bike.

Not only did E&L take over a month to decide on the claim but they've decided to turn it down. Short of storing the bike inside (not possible given space restrictions) I don't see that I could have done to make the bike any more secure.

My advice would not to touch Evans / E&L insurance. If anyone has any advice on how to proceed with making a complaint - other than writing a nasty letter to the company / checking fine print of policy then that would be appreciated.

Comments

• jonathan r
    jonathan r Posts: 88
    What were their grounds for declining your claim?
  • rjl6789
    That it wasn't stored in a Brick / Concrete building - i.e. my shed surprisingly enough is wooden!
  • lateralus
    lateralus Posts: 309
    check the policy wording. does it specifically say the building must be brick/concrete?
  • monty_dogcp
    monty_dogcp Posts: 382
    Kind useless requirement if the door is made of wood anyway! Of course they never tell you of these 'terms and conditions' when you take out the policy
  • "a Brick / Concrete building"

Pretty standard condition I suspect. Just as with m'cycles.

d.j.
    "The Angels have my 'phone box."
    "Better than The Angels have got your Harley."
  • rjl6789
    As they say "assumption is the mother of all fcuk ups" and indeed I "stupidly" assumed that as long as the bike was on my property locked up everything would be ok - I'm guessing the general concensus is that they've covered their ass with some ridiculous requirement. Anyone know of insurance policy that definately doesn't require you to keep bike indoors and where a shed is ok?
  • Pirahna
    Pirahna Posts: 1,315
    Check with your house contents insurer, they should be able to help you out and probably for less money than Evans.
  • pzycoman
    pzycoman Posts: 285
    Heh when I was gunna take out an insurance policy, the fact that my bike would be in my bedroom, inside my house, wasnt enogh for them, they wanted it locked to an immovable object...

Thieves, the lot of them.
    Professional Kitten Huffer
  • JJDLD
    JJDLD Posts: 75
    Firstly, sorry to hear about your sad loss...

Not sure if the following is of any help, but what would have happened if your bike had been locked up to a lamp-post outside a cafe (during a Sunday ride, for instance)? Would they have paid out then? If so, it seems unfair that they require a higher standard of protection "in the home" than they do when out and about.

Being a bit of a pedant, I try to always read the small print and policy documents for insurance, but I know that that doesn't help you now.

JJ.
  • rjl6789
    JJLD - your correct. If it was nicked whilst being locked up outside a cafe then it would have been covered. I've had a look around and the clause I've fallen foul of seems to be fairly standard. It would appear that the best course of action if your bike does get nicked from your house is to lie and say it was stolen whilst locked up during the day elsewhere. Which is very irritating as I like to be honest!
  • Mr P
    Mr P Posts: 548
    Another vote here for putting on your house contents insurance; costs me about œ30pa for two bikes valued œ1000 and œ750. (Under œ500 are free)
    Paid out when I crashed one in a rta (my fault) no questions asked other than lbs to confirm it was written off.
    And no restrictions on types of padlock...