Flooding

graeme_s-2
graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
edited June 2007 in Commuting chat
I got turned back by campus security this morning while trying to get into work. Apparently sections of the campus were flooded and they were turning everyone around. Throw in people suddenly u-turning out of queues of traffic and a couple of broken down cars, and it was total chaos!

For people who know the campus, the traffic on the Kenilworth Road is backed up almost to the A45 in one direction, and apparently into Kenilworth in the other direction!

I managed to just back track a short distance and then get onto campus on one of the cycle paths that was clear. Made me quite late for work, but I was still one of the first people in. Plenty of people still not here (ten past nine).

This is what it's like outside my office (this is the road I was turned back from). Apparently there's 4 feet of water between here and where I was turned back. The police have just closed the road (with a sign) just outside the office, but people are still going through, and then shortly afterwards coming back as they can't go through 4 feet of standing water further up the road!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/graemes/551052770/

Comments

• domtyler
    domtyler Posts: 2,648
    edited March 2011
    Wow, what is the source of the water? Is it raining heavily there in Warwick? It is blue sky and about 22 degrees here in London.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Porridge not Petrol
    ________
    New mexico dispensaries
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Porridge not Petrol
  • graeme_s-2
    I was woken up this morning before 5am by the rain. It was absolutely hammering it down, and it went on for hours. It's actually quite pleasant out now, but there's loads of standing water about.

I was just commenting last night that Coventry (Univ. of Warwick is on the outskirts of Coventry, not in Warwick) seems to have really bad drainage, and as soon as you get a decent amount of rain you get flash flooding on the roads all over the place. That bit in the picture floods (not quite as badly as that) as soon as you get 30 minutes of heavy rain. It's never been so bad that they've closed roads before though.
  • el_presidente
    el_presidente Posts: 1,963
    Another portent of the end times
    <a>road</a>
  • There's an old bloke up here ushering pairs of animals into an old wooden boat. Schools are closing and old people being plucked from tops of sideboards as they paddle around their front rooms.

Thank the gods it's sunny in London so we won't have to watch film of the suffering on the BBC.
    No chain, no gain
  • Asterixcp
    Asterixcp Posts: 6,251
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by john richardson</i>

There's an old bloke up here ushering pairs of animals into an old wooden boat. Schools are closing and old people being plucked from tops of sideboards as they paddle around their front rooms.

<b>Thank the gods it's sunny in London so we won't have to watch film of the suffering on the BBC.</b><hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

We might: I think the Germans call it <i>Schadenfreude</i>, and then they'll send blankets.

Pour vivre heureux, vivons le v‚lo..
    Pour vivre heureux, vivons le v‚lo..
  • I like how the Frontera driver is approaching the standing water at a responsible speed and not just going "f**k it, I'm in a SUV I'll drive as fast as I like."... NOT

• graeme_s-2
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Jacomus-rides-Gen</i>

I like how the Frontera driver is approaching the standing water at a responsible speed and not just going "f**k it, I'm in a SUV I'll drive as fast as I like."... NOT
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
    There was a police man stood down there on the pavement for quite a while. I'm sure most drivers were just itching to floor it past him and soak him. Must have been very frustrating for the poor darlings!
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Jacomus-rides-Gen</i>

I like how the Frontera driver is approaching the standing water at a responsible speed and not just going "f**k it, I'm in a SUV I'll drive as fast as I like."... NOT

Oh come on now - he was over-excited because he has finally got to do something that his car was built for and not just ferry the kids half a mile up the road to school and then off to the office!

**All I'm trying to do is get to work**
    **All I\'m trying to do is get to work**
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Graeme_S</i>

I got turned back by campus security this morning while trying to get into work. Apparently sections of the campus were flooded and they were turning everyone around. Throw in people suddenly u-turning out of queues of traffic and a couple of broken down cars, and it was total chaos!

For people who know the campus, the traffic on the Kenilworth Road is backed up almost to the A45 in one direction, and apparently into Kenilworth in the other direction!

I managed to just back track a short distance and then get onto campus on one of the cycle paths that was clear. Made me quite late for work, but I was still one of the first people in. Plenty of people still not here (ten past nine).

This is what it's like outside my office (this is the road I was turned back from). Apparently there's 4 feet of water between here and where I was turned back. The police have just closed the road (with a sign) just outside the office, but people are still going through, and then shortly afterwards coming back as they can't go through 4 feet of standing water further up the road!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/graemes/551052770/

ah, i wondered what that was about,

arrogrent muppets in cars wouldnt let me turn right accross them to get onto the cycle path after i'd crossed the A45 on the kennelworth road.

later, i went and sat a mini bus in the middle of the kennelworth road / stoneliegh junction without realising, so much water on the ground that i couldnt see the stop line!
  • Archcp
    Archcp Posts: 8,987
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by john richardson</i>

There's an old bloke up here ushering pairs of animals into an old wooden boat. Schools are closing and old people being plucked from tops of sideboards as they paddle around their front rooms.

[:D]LOL!

Apparently, Dave Dee, proprietor of a big local removals/house clearance/second hand shop firm often steps in to help rescue old folk from the Skeldergate area!

That bit in the pic looks like some bits of York do on a fairly regular basis over winter (and probably, now!). Roundabout under 4 feet of water though? Is it a very sunken roundabout? 4 feet is an awful lot!

If I had a baby elephant, it could help me clean the car. If I had a car.
    If I had a baby elephant, it could help me clean the car. If I had a car.
  • graeme_s-2
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Arch</i>

That bit in the pic looks like some bits of York do on a fairly regular basis over winter (and probably, now!). Roundabout under 4 feet of water though? Is it a very sunken roundabout? 4 feet is an awful lot!
    4 feet is what I heard, I didn't see it so I've no idea whether it was more like 4 inches, or more like 4 metres!

I think it was probably the road just before the roundabout, someone mentioned something about a lake bursting its banks. I've never noticed the lake, but you can see it in this map.
  • Buggi
    Buggi Posts: 674
    same in Solihull. tree down in Blossomfield road (thank god it didn't hit anyone, would have killed them outright) and road flooded. 6am, no others around, so i thought i should tell someone and phoned the fire brigade.

the woman goes, "so why are your phoning us?"

Er... so you can pump the water away and move the tree?... coz it just happens to be a major road that within i would say 1 hour will be causing traffic chaos??? Jeez, who did she expect me to phone?

my dad said i should have said "coz there's a cat stuck in the tree" ha ha

To infinity... and beyond!
    my epic adventure: www.action.org.uk/~Antonia

To infinity... and beyond!
    my epic adventure: www.action.org.uk/~Antonia
  • mikehfcp
    mikehfcp Posts: 1
    At the hospital in Coventry two of the staff car parks were under water today as well, must admit I enjoyed cycling past all the cars desperately looking for a space this morning.[:D]

Look after your heart
    Look after your heart
  • ed_m
    ed_m Posts: 131
    oooh... a local thread.

i cycled from cov to loughborough yesterday and had to pass through two completely flooded roads, on one i slipstreamed the car in front and hid in it's wake which made life much easier.

sadly my wheels are now full of water and make a funny noise when i spin them [|)]

<center><font color="blue"><font size="1">____________________
    www.ultrarunner.co.uk
    </font id="size1"></font id="blue"></center>
    www.ultrarunner.co.uk
  • mmmm saw the floods at walsgrave hospital in coventry myself, and the joy of seeing all these drivers having to move their cars. Got wet on the way back - cycled through a few flooded roads, but soon after crossing the A5 and going through the mysterious place called claybroke parva (where the weather always seems to change) - then the roads were dry! Just hope my cycling shoes dry out by monday.......
  • shmo
    shmo Posts: 321
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Jacomus-rides-Gen</i>

Really hate it when people do that. The village where my parents live in Herefordshire gets flooded occasionally. I remember standing out on the street watching cars absolutely fly through the water causing it to splash first floor windows and send ripples into the houses. Would have been funny if their engines cut out and they got set upon by a horde of angry farm workers with pitch forks.
  • ed_m
    ed_m Posts: 131
    yay... had a dry ride today!

was even sunny.

and i was even pleased about the p*******.

and the sausie sarnie at wellesbourne airfield was good too.

www.ultrarunner.co.uk
    www.ultrarunner.co.uk
  • dondare
    dondare Posts: 2,113
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Shmo</i>

Really hate it when people do that. The village where my parents live in Herefordshire gets flooded occasionally. I remember standing out on the street watching cars absolutely fly through the water causing it to splash first floor windows and send ripples into the houses. Would have been funny if their engines cut out and they got set upon by a horde of angry farm workers with pitch forks.
    Upton?

This sig is under construction.
    This post contains traces of nuts.