TV Mountain

Jaded
Jaded Posts: 6,663
edited June 2007 in Campaign
TVs 'dumped after digital switch'

Is this scaremongering, or another example of the government not looking closely enough at one of its money making activities?

--
<font size="1">[Warning] This post may contain a baby elephant or traces of one</font id="size1">

Comments

• Mosschops2
    Mosschops2 Posts: 1,774
    I'd say scaremongering. I'd dump my video today for all the good it does - don't remember the last time I either watched a video or recorded anything!

Also does the digital mainly (or only) apply to aerial transmissions? I've got Sky (for my sins), and therefore this might not affect me??

Also also I'd have thought that there will have been a dip in sales leading up to switch on of "normal" TVs, if people are anticipating the change (which they may not be!)

Really it's not that different than a new technology coming along and obsceleting the old ones. Although a TV is one of the larger household items, I don't recall any furore about the zillions of walkman player to be scrapped when CDs came out (I binned mine over the weekend!), etc etc

<font size="1">There's no TV! Have you seen a TV, Mike? I haven't seen a TV. Do you know what it means when there's no TV? - No MTV! </font id="size1">
    baby elephants? Any baby elephants here?? Helloo-ooo
  • thedoctor
    thedoctor Posts: 529
    Partly scaremongering, largely a desire to get a whacking great plasma beasty, I suspect.
    My video still works fine to record stuff on the digital channels. Freeview box -> video -> TV. Job done.
  • speshcp
    speshcp Posts: 3,746
    It's sloppy reporting - it's not the TVs and VCRs that are the problem, it's the fact that the set-top boxes are mostly built with only the one receiver, unlike a VCR, which has two.

Under the analogue regime, the VCR can record off one channel whilst you watch another channel on the TV.

With a single-receiver digibox upstream of the TV and recording equipment, you are stuck with whichever channel you have set the digibox to receive. So, if you are recording a long program on say, BBC4, you can't watch a program on another channel that's on partway through the transmission you are recording, because when you play back the video, you'll find you have recorded the program you were watching, thus rendering your planned recording as useless.

Lack of forethought, or deliberate obsolescence?

<hr noshade size="1"><font size="1">"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." (Albert Einstein)
    </font id="size1">
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." (Albert Einstein)
  • Jaded
    Jaded Posts: 6,663
    Videos will still record, as I understand it, but you'll need two Freeview boxes if you want to watch a different programme at the same time? That's how I read it - the tuner in the video will become obsolete.

--
    <font size="1">[Warning] This post may contain a baby elephant or traces of one</font id="size1">
  • speshcp
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Jaded</i>

Videos will still record, as I understand it, but you'll need two Freeview boxes if you want to watch a different programme at the same time?<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Hmmm... you'd need a coaxial splitter upstream of the two digiboxes, VCR downstream of digibox 2 and then another splitter/combiner before the TV coaxial socket. Gets a bit messy, but it ought to work...

Buy shares in all-in-one remote control and SCART switch-box manufacturers.[:D]

Unless of course, you've bought a HDTV widescreen beastie with twin digital receivers... [;)]

<hr noshade size="1"><font size="1">"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." (Albert Einstein)
    </font id="size1">
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." (Albert Einstein)
  • marinyork
    marinyork Posts: 271
    Yawn. If you guys are really that bothered about watching one channel whilst watching another... get a PVR [:)].

As for switchover problems the biggest problem by far will be distrubution to secondary sets as many people have become far too reliant on indoor aerials for secondary sets. This is easily overcome in various ways but whether those that do not already have DTT will overcome them is another matter entirely.

As for VCRs, I suspect a few will get dragged out of retirement. My girlfriend's parents have two tvs. Many elderly people have tvs that don't have SCART on and most of the budget freeview STBs don't have RF modulators on. What we did for them was to use the VCR to plug in freeview through RF. If people have sense many people will do the same thing.

I suspect there will be a big pile of tvs but it'd be quite hard whether to say whether it's more the switch to flat screens or DTT. Probably more the former but there will be people who'll use it as an excuse to replace tvs.
  • Mr Celine
    Mr Celine Posts: 170
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Jaded</i>

TVs 'dumped after digital switch'

Is this scaremongering, or another example of the government not looking closely enough at one of its money making activities?

--
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Having read the article I'm more concerned with where people are going to swim. And do we have enough swimming pools to dump them all in?[:)]

<i>What is grey and comes in pints?</i>
  • The Mechanic
    The Mechanic Posts: 1,277
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">set-top boxes are mostly built with only the one receiver, unlike a VCR, which has two.

Which brand of VCR has two tuners then[?]. I think you will find that you are recording one channel using the VCR tuner and watching the other on the TV tuner.

Don't worry the man said, things could be worse. And sure enough, they got worse
    I have only two things to say to that; Bo***cks
  • Simon L2
    Simon L2 Posts: 2,908
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by spesh</i>
    Hmmm... you'd need a coaxial splitter upstream of the two digiboxes, VCR downstream of digibox 2 and then another splitter/combiner before the TV coaxial socket. Gets a bit messy, but it ought to work...
    Spesh, matey, you've just blown the party invite that was heading your way!

Unless, of course, you can be persuaded to put on the uniform and tell us that 'the engines canna take it, Cap'n'.
  • speshcp
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Simon L2</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by spesh</i>
    Hmmm... you'd need a coaxial splitter upstream of the two digiboxes, VCR downstream of digibox 2 and then another splitter/combiner before the TV coaxial socket. Gets a bit messy, but it ought to work...
    Spesh, matey, you've just blown the party invite that was heading your way!

Unless, of course, you can be persuaded to put on the uniform and tell us that 'the engines canna take it, Cap'n'.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Aye, an' ye need a flux capacitor anna Jefferies tube...

Cap'n. [:D][;)]

</font id="size1">
  • simoncp
    simoncp Posts: 3,260
    Video recorders with twin Freeview tuners are becoming available. It's a shame that I'll have to ditch my JVC TV in 2 years time though. It's a 1987 model with no scart socket, and no scart means no Freeview.
  • marinyork
    No it doesn't, unless there's some other technical reason like you don't have a VCR with a scart and even then there are still a small number of boxes that have rf modulators in. I've plugged freeview into a hitachi tv older than that via a vcr [:)].

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by simoncp</i>

Video recorders with twin Freeview tuners are becoming available. It's a shame that I'll have to ditch my JVC TV in 2 years time though. It's a 1987 model with no scart socket, and no scart means no Freeview.
  • simoncp
    simoncp Posts: 3,260
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by marinyork</i>

No it doesn't, unless there's some other technical reason like you don't have a VCR with a scart and even then there are still a small number of boxes that have rf modulators in. I've plugged freeview into a hitachi tv older than that via a vcr [:)].

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by simoncp</i>

So are you saying that a normal, non rf modulator Freeview box can be used with a non-scart TV? Or do I have to get a box witha rf modulator? I knew about this route, but the boxes I found were expensive and made the whole project pointless.
  • marinyork
    Yes a non rf modulated freeview box can be used with a non-scart tv, provided you have a vcr (or a dvd recorder with a rf modulator -some do) or an rf modulator in its own right. So there are a few options.

1. Plug crapola inc freeview box into the vcr via scart, connect vcr to tv with rf.
    2. Buy an rf modulator, I've seen these for between œ12 and œ30.
    3. Plug it into a DVD recorder with an rf modulated freeview box (not all have rf modulators).
    4. Buy a freeview box with a modulator in. This is the most expensive option. New freeview boxes that have them in are quite a lot e.g. Humax F2FOX is about œ60.
    5. Buy an old ondigital/itvdigital box second hand. These use to retail for quite a lot more than the œ20-50 of todays freeview boxes so a lot of them rf modulators built in as for the price you might as well.

Of course these options may not be applicable to you at all but they maybe to other people that want to hang onto their old CRTs and have no reason to go mad and spend hundreds of pounds on LCD tvs or a fair bit on a second hand CRT.
  • Mr Celine
    Mr Celine Posts: 170
    I have a 1982 Ferguson TX which has no scart socket but works fine on freeview with an ON digial box aquired free from my sister when ITV digital went bust. This has an RF out, but is connected, as other posters have suggested, via scart to a VCR which is connected to the TV. The sound output from the digibox is also connected to the hifi, giving stereo sound as well.

• graham56
    graham56 Posts: 634
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Mr Celine</i>

Would it happen to be an Elephant?[:)]

It`s a state of mind.
  • i'll stick with my old tv and plug my PS2 into it and watch DVD's, play random games and hang out with friends

I cant be bothered with tv, the only thing i watch is Doctor who anyway.

and to be honest, i cant help thinking that lack of Tv would make the country generally more healthy!
  • papercorn2000
    papercorn2000 Posts: 4,517

Whoah, same scenario this weekend. Wife bought a cheap set-top box, tv has no scart socket, man in shop says "have a scart to AV cable" (for the same cost as the box - and that was with a tenner off!). Does it work? Not a peep. Returned to Currys for full refund.

Back to square one.

God told me to skin you alive.
    http://www.ekroadclub.co.uk/
    God told me to skin you alive.
    http://www.ekroadclub.co.uk/
  • 515mm
    515mm Posts: 72
    Typical Curry's level of service. If that SCART to AV cable had 'worked' it would have required a massive reduction in picture quality, bringing it down to worse than analogue.

...the enemy is anybody who is going to get you killed, no matter which side you're on...
    Si homini ignem das, unem diem ardebit; si hominem incendis, reliquem vitam ardebit.
  • 515mm
    515mm Posts: 72
    @papercorn2000

Talk to a local aerial installation company. Tell them what you've got and what you want to achieve. They're bound to know (and hopefully be able to sell you) the model of set top box that you need (one with an RF modulator). Avoid Comet/Curry's like the plague unless you want to buy a toaster. They do not have the knowledge or expertise they claim in their frankly misleading, ads.

...the enemy is anybody who is going to get you killed, no matter which side you're on...
    Si homini ignem das, unem diem ardebit; si hominem incendis, reliquem vitam ardebit.
  • marinyork
    Aerial installers knowing about STBs?. What I do agree is avoid comet/currys/dixons/PC World.

There aren't that many STBs that have RF Modulators now. There used to be when the margins on STBs were radically different. Some PVRs don't even have RF modulators in (mine doesn't). VCRs do and some DVD recorders.