David Duffield Needs To Retire

Sarah22
Sarah22 Posts: 56
edited June 2007 in Pro race
With respect, and I have a lot for the man...he has been around and seen more than most of us will ever, however, now he is drowning and it is embarassing, not only for him...but for those of us that respect his past and his attempt to continue.

I don't blame Mr D, I blame those that make the decisions to keep pushing him to Anchor a major event like today.

He has the unique ability to be able to create a headache within 5 mins when my (normally agile adaptable mind) tries to keep up with his ramblings.

He is now so obtuse and sporadic it is sad.

Keep him on as a cheese and wine intervention now and again during stages, but pleeeeease give us a rest from him now.

Comments

• nick hanson
    nick hanson Posts: 1,655
    Seemed ok today,to me.Maybe my mind's getting old & confused? [:D]

so many cols,so little time!
  • nick hanson
    Ps,he's a damn sight more natural than some of the smarmy presenters they wheel out on the grand tours

• How many Davis Duffield threads do we need ? Couldn't you have just posted this in the existing ones ?

http://www.eastyorkshireclassic.co.uk/n ... index.aspx
  • Sarah22
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Squaggles</i>

How many Davis Duffield threads do we need ? Couldn't you have just posted this in the existing ones ?

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Who are you like? Some sort of forum knobhead?
  • Who are you like? Some sort of forum knobhead?

BRAVO![:D]

nil satis nisi optimum
    nil satis nisi optimum
  • brad68
    brad68 Posts: 883
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Sarah22</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Squaggles</i>

How many Davis Duffield threads do we need ? Couldn't you have just posted this in the existing ones ?

Who are you like? Some sort of forum knobhead?

Spot on Sarah! funniest post on here.............

Bc
    Bc
  • Totally agree - today was just awful. there was Moreau breaking away to take the win and Duffield is rambling on about some grapevines or something. He needs a second person there with him to keep him in check or just slap him occasionally.
    Sejours Triathlon et Velo dans les Pyrenees
    www.pyreneesmultisport.com
  • That doesn't work. He had Sean Kelly with him for Paris-Roubaix and Duffers would tell him to shut up and let the audience savour the atmosphere as the riders went over the pave.....while he kept interrupting with short bursts of sentences of what was going on.
  • Birillo
    Birillo Posts: 417
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Who are you like? Some sort of forum knobhead?

Spot on Sarah! funniest post on here.............

Bc<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Two burning intellects . . .
  • vermootencp
    vermootencp Posts: 1,298
    Today he didn't know how to pronounce "Szmyd" until someone had told him later on. I have to say though that towards the end of the stage - once he got the boring stuff about grapevines and how things worked back in his day - he did get into his stride.

There was one race this year (Paris-Roubaix?) when he started taking the p*ss out of Sean Kelly for making notes. Stupid senile old c*<b></b>nt.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    <font size="1">"I'll do what I can to help y'all. But the game's out there, and it's play or get played. That simple."
    </font id="size1">
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    <font>"I\'ll do what I can to help y\'all. But the game\'s out there, and it\'s play or get played. That simple."
    </font>
  • He was awful today. He was wittering about something when Vinokourov cracked and it took him a good couple of minutes to mention it. When Moureau attacked towards the end he was so deep into some 'profound' nonsense that he didn't even mention it had happened.

I also lost count of the times he told us about Tom Simpson, July 13th and the 13th stage of the Tour. DOn't get me wrong, I think Simpson's death is of huge significance to British cycling and its nature has great pertinence today but the story did not need retelling (badly) ad infinitum. He was like a broken record.
  • Birillo
    Birillo Posts: 417
    Vermooten, that was out of order.
  • Noodley
    Noodley Posts: 1,725
    Can't you lot work it out for yourselves? Moving pictures of people on bikes, they cross the line in order. Fairly simple. [;)]
  • Seen that button on your remote with the little up & down arrows - why not use that..??

Ok yeah sometimes he does go wittering on about the sheep he met in 1954 whilst looking for some wine, but Ive actually got some respect for the guy, does anyone here think they can do a better job, talking about one subject for up to 6 hours a day week in week out...??

Its ok sitting at home with your 47'' plasma high def shouting how can you not tell who that is, half the time theyre looknig at a 6inch b&w screen with interference...

And the alternatives, on the few occasions they have other people in the box most of their 'commentary' consist of yes/no answers in reply to something duffers has asked. Or would you like sean kelly for 20 hours a week....[:D]
  • freshtrax
    freshtrax Posts: 79
    I couldn't actually bear to listen to him last night, I found it much better without the sound. I do think the struggles on his own but generally he doen't bother me if Sean Kelly's with him.

"It's about the bike"
    "It\'s about the bike"
  • WooHoo
    WooHoo Posts: 7
    What about Harmon going on about effing motorbikes any time the race is near Monza or Le Mans or somewhere?

Or about how fantastic the CTC are? And how he used to work for them and and and ...

Duffers is great. One of the last great Brtish eccentrics.
    He is the Dan Maskell,Henry Blofeld and Brian Johnston of cycling commentators.

Pure and simple.
  • vermootencp
    woohoo = troll

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    <font size="1">"I'll do what I can to help y'all. But the game's out there, and it's play or get played. That simple."
    </font id="size1">
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    <font>"I\'ll do what I can to help y\'all. But the game\'s out there, and it\'s play or get played. That simple."
    </font>
  • dsoutar
    dsoutar Posts: 1,746
    He's the Patrick Moore of cycling

"Get a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live." ~ Mark Twain, "Taming the Bicycle"
  • PutneyJoe
    PutneyJoe Posts: 242
    commentry on cycling.tv was great yesterday afternoon. BrianS very funny.
    I suggest you give the audio a go at work, if you can't blantantly sit and watch it.
  • nickwill
    nickwill Posts: 2,735
    If he left some thinking and recovery space between sentences he might be able to see what is happening. The object seems to be to avoid silence at all costs. His worst new habit seems to be explaining aspects of cycle racing for new viewers (which is fine), and then apologising to everyone else for twice as long. The muddled diatribe on Australian grape harvesting whilst the riders were on the lower slopes of Ventoux nearly led to a remote control/plama screen interface situation.
    I'm sure he's a nice old chap, and I think he's quite good when confined to a studio bound pundit's role, but I think its time to retire.

You never have the wind with you - either it is against you or you're having a good day. ~Daniel Behrman, The Man Who Loved Bicycles
  • top_bhoy
    top_bhoy Posts: 1,424
    I'll reiterate what I said on the other thread - I don't think some of the comments made towards DD need to be so barbed and nasty. Sadly some people on here seem to thrive and get their jollies by textually abusing the man!

This is my bike:
    http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p66/ ... ure001.jpg
    http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p66/ ... ure002.jpg
    http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p66/ ... ure003.jpg
  • Sarah22
    Bumshocked by some of the comments he just said!?! BUMSHOCKED!!!
  • pat1cp
    pat1cp Posts: 766
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Sarah22</i>

Bumshocked by some of the comments he just said!?! BUMSHOCKED!!!
    I heard that. Just chill and laugh, it becomes bearable.

http://tinyurl.com/332edp
    http://tinyurl.com/2nu7r3
  • Sarah22
    I am giggling at him today..."Riders putting sunglasses on to keep the flies from flying into their mouths" and Soixante Neuf..."that's a significant number"

You couldn't make it up!
  • Ste_S
    Ste_S Posts: 1,173
    At least he's inspired my sig [;)]

Danger ! Men at work
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    Irritating though he is, he is not as bad as Laurel and Hardy on ITV, Sherwin and Liggett that is.

Now those two are welllllll tedious!

SIZE IS EVERYTHING! or at least that's what my LBS tells me.
  • What? "Monster Gear", "Big Diesel Engine", "Suitcase of Courage"

Liggett's alright. Sherwen sucks balls.

TdG
  • vermootencp
    Sorry to go against the tide, but he was kind of ok today. I didn't shout at the telly once even though he made a few strange remarks like the bizarre "soixante neuf" comment which has left a mental image in my mind that's going to take years of therapy to eradicate.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    </font id="size1">
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    </font>
  • WooHoo
    WooHoo Posts: 7
    woohoo = troll?!?!?

And you work that one on what basis exactly?

I have as much right to post a comment here as anyone else and I resent this completely unjustified insult.

You supposedly have 1200 posts I have 6. You have posted more than me so that means that you can insult newcomers to the forum? Is this your mindset?

Have a word with yourself you sad little man.
  • nick hanson
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by WooHoo</i>

woohoo = troll?!?!?

And you work that one on what basis exactly?

I have as much right to post a comment here as anyone else and I resent this completely unjustified insult.

You supposedly have 1200 posts I have 6. You have posted more than me so that means that you can insult newcomers to the forum? Is this your mindset?

Have a word with yourself you sad little man.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Dont worry,I thought the same about the troll comment