Heart Rate Monitor

wolvesandy
wolvesandy Posts: 63
edited June 2007 in Road beginners
Ive been looking at getting a heart rate monitor, does anyone have any recommendations? im quite tempted by the polar cs200 cad but i already have a cateye bike comp and was wondering if anyone had one of these cs200's and were worth paying the bit more cash for than just getting the heart rate monitor?

Comments

• I've got a CS200CAD. Only fault i can find is that it can be a little confusing to see what its recording ie what all the figures mean in relation to each other, but thats possibly me being daft [:)]

piece of cake to fit

Mleh Mleh Mleh
  • Go to your local Polar stockist and have them explain the features of the monitor you like.

If they can't explain it go to another bike shop and ask the staff what they use.

Me I use Mavic's Windtech with cadence feature. Simple clear and idiot proof.

Steve maybe if you'd spoken to the staff about it it would not be confusin - or did you get your advice from forums and online?
    Racing is life - everything else is just waiting
  • Stop trolling the forum DTR with your worthless advice

its a forum meant for discussion. You don't seem to want to discuss anything. just trot out your 'visit a shop' line which is of very little use when opinions are sought.
    i visited my local shop for advice btw and he tried to sell me a computer with no cadence (which i wanted) and wired (which i didn't want). so all in all a waste of time.

Where is this 'excellent local bike shop' of yours that you keep suggesting we all got to for advice?

Mleh Mleh Mleh
  • The cs200cad is a great bit of kit does just about everything I would ever need it for, also the screen is very clear and can display a lot of data at once (I generally have it displaying speed, cadence, heart rate and distance).

I find it so much more useful that my cateye astrale and is a doddle to set up.

If you get one it is worth spending some time getting used to the computer tools you can get to customise the screen to show exactly what you want it to.

By the way if anyone else knows here if the average speed is based on the riding time or total exercise time? I know I could work it out but I'm feeling lazy :)
  • I already have a cat eye comp on mine (uses a rear wheel sensor so i can use it on a trainer), and it has all the info i need, so when i decided to get a HRM I bought a Polar F4.
    It does everything I need, it can be hard to see if it's on your wrist, but you get round that by either using it with the "beeps" turned on, or you can mount it on the bar.
  • fluff.
    fluff. Posts: 771
    Have the Polar CS100, without the cadence but still applies I guess; the maximum distance from the pickup thingy on the fork to unit seems to be quite short, I had to fiddle about with it for quite some time to get it to work conistently. The ownzone thing just confuses me, but that's my fault :) Oh, and the cheeky thing keeps pausing if im twiddling up some steep hill at <5mph.

----
    The summer bike | The fixie | The sensible one
  • " Stop trolling the forum DTR with your worthless advice" will have to bow to a man with the time for over 1500 posts.

"Where is this 'excellent local bike shop' of yours that you keep suggesting we all got to for advice?"

If we knew where you were located I could suggest a few.
    Racing is life - everything else is just waiting
  • fuzzy29
    fuzzy29 Posts: 320
    <font face="Tahoma"></font id="Tahoma">I have the CS200 and it is excellent. Easy to use and so much better than a standard computer. I'm no racer and thought the idea of a HRM was a bit OTT. But now I'm used to it, I find it is a great tool. If you ride by your HR rather than speed, it is a lot easier to judge how well you're going and how to pace yourself. Also, whilst it's always good fun to see you max MPH after a downhill, the max HR on the uphills is just as interesting.

<hr noshade size="1">If I had a baby elephant, I'd ask Banksy to paint it....
    <hr noshade size="1">If I had a baby elephant, I\'d ask Banksy to paint it....
  • Jonathan Mcp
    Jonathan Mcp Posts: 2,472
    Ciclosport HAC4 Plus - clear display, relatively easy to use computer software, and user replaceable batteries in monitor 7 chest strap.

Only downside is that the cadence is wired, and wired with a cable that the national grid might use........

<font size="1">It isn't growing up that stops us playing, it is stopping playing that makes us grow up.

Go and see my bikes</font id="size1">
  • If you live anywhere near a Decathlon store go and have a look at their stuff. The pricing is really competetive. I have one of their watch like HRMs and it does loads of stuff. HR, In/ out of zone alarms, calorie use, time spent in zones, programmable to height age weight etc etc
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    i have one of these
    http://www.oregonscientific.co.uk/product.asp?p=292
    as i already have a pretty decent cycle computer (no bike though...) its simple and effective but doesn't cost the earth. Comes with a handlebar mount as well if you dont want to wear it on your wrist

http://img501.imageshack.us/my.php?image=bikeim9.jpg
  • sloxam
    sloxam Posts: 861
    I've got a CS200CAD too. i like it but sometimes it pauses when i don't expect it to. a common fault i hear.

winning is everything
    the reason i breathe
    a mans best friend
    legend
    roubaix

couldn't think of a stupid elephant gag
    i hate hills (cos i'm fat)

www.justgiving.com/steven-loxam/