Brighton to London

Im on a 09.30 start so looking for transport back around 4ish, ultimaate destination Ipswich, getting back to London would be a start though. Myself a mate and two bikes. Does anyone have space in a car/van etc? We will pay fuel money of course. Does anyone ride back ? Ive done about 60-70 miles in one hit before but would struggle without a group, do many people turn around and cycle straight back??

Thanks

<font size="1">Bike</font id="size1">

Comments

• il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    I'm thinking of riding back but never attempted it before and not sure of the best route! I'm starting at 9 but with a slow bunch so will prob be leaving Brighton by 4 I hope.

My Best Bike
  • oily sailor
    oily sailor Posts: 235
    Which bike you using? Are you going to risk the Mortirolo among the crowds of wobblers?

I'm cycling back on Monday I think - make a day of it.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    I'm risking the Wilier, lending the Focus to a friend. If someone wobbles into it then we'll be having words... I'm not charitable when it comes to my bikes!

My Best Bike
  • oily sailor
    oily sailor Posts: 235
    Most of my carbon is staying at home for the day... I'm starting at 8.30 with some plodders. I'll keep an eye out for you.
  • We're resolved to cycling back now , fancy the challange to be honest.
    The plan is to get to the start early and see if we can change start time, has anyone managed to do this before? got any tips?

I hadnt really thought much about the return route, will it need to be different than the brighton leg? better take a map.

<font size="1">Bike</font id="size1">
  • cross-bow
    cross-bow Posts: 10
    A nice route back is going over Devil's Dyke and then north along the route of the Capital to Coast bike ride but in the opposite direction.

Also has a few nice pubs along the route.
  • Do you know what chance there is of an early start, we are booked on 09.30, the plan is to turn up early and beg. Are we wasting our time?

<font size="1">Work</font id="size1">
    <font size="1">Play</font id="size1">
  • BentMikey
    BentMikey Posts: 4,895
    Hope to see some of you there, we're planning to skate it on speedskates. Give us a shout if you see our group! 07.30 departure is our plan.

<font size="1">My bikes
    My skates</font id="size1">

If I had a baby elephant, I'd teach it to skate.
  • You speed skaters should get two medals, a few passed me going up the big hill!!!. Must have a good chemist[:D]
    I didnt have to cycle back in the end the buses/HGV's were running till 8pm just cost œ20 and a few dings to the frame.

Overall nice day out, not much cycling though, mostly keeping out of the way of wobblers!! [:D]

<font size="1">Work</font id="size1">
    <font size="1">Play</font id="size1">
  • BentMikey
    Hehehe, going uphill is a little bit easier for us than for cyclists. My custom carbon fibre skates only weigh 2kg, that's a lot less to take uphill than anyone's bike!

There were a few times on the skate that I wished I'd taken my recumbent, even with last year's experience I'd forgotten how hard some bits were. Mostly the rough roads, though the wet was pretty exciting too (we lose massive traction compared with rubber tyres, so we can't put much power down, and it gets incredibly slippery).

<font size="1">My bikes

• BentMikey
    Oh, and going to the train station and taking the train back home was good too! [:P]

<font size="1">My bikes

• overmars
    overmars Posts: 430
    Were you the one with the sign saying something like "I'm taking the train home"[?]

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by BentMikey</i>

I'm planning to be there, on speedskates though, not a bike. I'll have LondonSkaters Speed Team team kit on (blue/white) with LSMike on the back. Blue/silver skates with large green wheels, so shout out if you see us. We're leaving at 07.30 if it's dry.
    <font size="1">My bikes

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Oh it wasn't you. This guy had an A-Z jersey on.

Did all of you guys have a nice ride to and from Brighton???[;)][8D]

http://s190.photobucket.com/albums/z241 ... campag.jpg
  • BentMikey
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by overmars</i>

Oh it wasn't you. This guy had an A-Z jersey on.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Oh, that was my mate SteveH, one of the skaters who did it last year too. There were nearly 50 of us this year, the others heard what a good time we had last year. I'm still a bit shocked with myself for being the instigator last year, and having 6 mates come along. What's more, 6 of the 7 did it again this year!

<font size="1">My bikes

• overmars
    "So you're taking the train back?" I asked.
    "Either that or an ambulance!" He replied.
    "You'll be fine." I said.

[:)]

Ah yes, here you go:

http://img520.imageshack.us/img520/8223/dscf0669cc8.jpg

<font size="1">My bikes

• firsthippy
    firsthippy Posts: 639
    I rode back to London after L2B. It was a fun day on the bike!
    Bored?, Ride Report: http://thehippy.net/nucleus/index.php?itemid=872

hippy 1029 4312
  • overmars
    Nice report firsthippy!

And yes... those that are walking should stick to the left. Mainly for safety.

Evans cycles hostile? Say it ain't so Joe![}:)]

I didn't ride back and I'm feeling a little envious of those that did (did it last year).
    However I did finish a night shift at 5am and returned to work at 5pm (the work shower never felt so good!).