East London to Cambridge

Is there an accepted route for this?

I've had a scour round on the internet but these sorts of routes seem to be big secrets!

Thanks

Comments

• nmcgann
    nmcgann Posts: 1,780
    A quick look at the London-Cambridge Charity ride website and some guessing suggests: Epping-Roydon-Hunsdon-Widford-Much Hadham-Little Hadham-Stocking Pelham-Brent Pelham-Langley-Elmdon-Ickleton-Duxford-Whittlesford-Little Shelford-Great Shelford and into cambridge via either the A1301 or A1307.

I presume you'd know the best way to epping. The bit from the Pelhams onward is pretty lane-y, so an OS map would be wise.

There could be a similar route the other side of the M11 via North Weald, Takely, Saffron Walden etc.

Neil
    --
    "Because the cycling is pain. The cycling is soul crushing pain."
  • Thanks Neil
  • zimzum42
    zimzum42 Posts: 8,294
    I know a nice route, but it's marked on my map at home, not in my head

[:D] www.addiscombe.org [8D] [8D] www.darhotwire.com [8D] [8D] www.muzikmedia.com [:D]
    My Bikes My Commute
  • Greenbank
    Greenbank Posts: 731
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by zimzum42</i>

M11?
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Big road thing that goes from Wanstead up past the outskirts of Cambridge.
    One of them blue things on the map that isn't a river.
    Bicycles not allowed.
    Either full of numpties in estate cars clogging it up and making it a nightmare.
    Or roadworks.

--
    If I had a baby elephant signature, I'd use that.
    --
    If I had a baby elephant signature, I\'d use that.
  • Shame you can't use it as the part of East London I live in is Wanstead
  • Greenbank
    Greenbank Posts: 731
    In that case I'd follow nmcgann's route from Epping.

(The London To Cambrdige starts from Waltham Abbey but it tallies with Neil's route from Roydon).

It did take an odd route at Ickleton in that, bearing in mind most people doing the ride would be quite tired at this 40 mile mark, it took you most of the way into Cambridge on the A1301 which is quite a busy road.

I grew up in the Cambridge area and personally I'd choose to go the back road route from Ickleton through Duxford, Whittlesford, Little then Great Shelford and into Cambridge via Babraham Road.

--
    If I had a baby elephant signature, I'd use that.
    --
    If I had a baby elephant signature, I\'d use that.
  • Really, I just want a nice ride that I could get to and then turn around and come home as my first experience of spending all day on a bike. I reckon cambridge and back plus a bit of a lunch stop would be a good tester as, if necessary, I could be rescued by someone zooming up the M11 quite quickly.