FSA chainset, campag shifters+Front Mech

Ken Night
Ken Night Posts: 2,005
edited June 2007 in Workshop
I changed my Campag 50/36 compact for the FSA Pro Elite chainset a few weeks ago-to try out 50/34, save weight, and so I could put the Campag one on my second bike

Initially, shifting was OK-not great, using the original (standard, not compact) Record front mech, and very old Campag chain

I changed to a KMC chain, and generally fiddled about and have had problems dropping the chain on both sides, so much so that I've changed the FSA big ring for the Campag one-the shifting is slightly better and doesn't drop the chain so much

This is doing my head in, and I'm wondering if I should have bought the FSA chainset in the first place. (looking at the ring, it doesn't have so many pins with which to pick up the chain, as the Campag one does)

I'd be grateful for help

(I have BTW ordered a Campag Compact front mech, but don't have confidence in the FSA chainset any longer)

<font size="1">"I once prayed to God for a bike, but quickly found out he didnt work that way...so I stole a bike and prayed for his forgiveness"
</font id="size1">
“It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best..." Ernest Hemingway

Comments

• Both my road bikes have FSA chainsets and 10 sp Campag gears/shifters. #1 being SLK Compcat (50/34), Mega Exo jobbie with Record, #2 being Carbon Pro Team Issue (50/38), with Record shifters and Centaur rear, Veloce front. Both front mechs are standard models not compact. Both bikes use KMC chains.

Shifting on both is perfect, never had any problem whatsoever with either. Not much help, sorry.

I think I'd stick the Campag chainset back on and see if that cures it. If it does, you have an answer. But I'd be surprised.

I've been Thamed !!
  • maddog_2cp
    maddog_2cp Posts: 73
    I've run FSA comapcts in the past without any problems. Sounds like a setup issue. Your limit screws should stop any dropping off the rings.

I run a Campag compact mech which is an improvement over a standard mech, IME.

<font size="1"><font color="purple">
    Drop bars are a historical accident...... discuss</font id="purple"></font id="size1">
    Drop bars are a historical accident...... discuss
  • monty_dogcp
    monty_dogcp Posts: 382
    I've been having problems with a Campag Record std front mech dropping the chain on upshifts with a Chorus CT chainset - set-up is far more critical - I think that if the chainring pins don't pick up the chain properly, it gets dropped further and doesn't tend to land on the inner ring - the slightly deeper cage and kink on the inside of the CT front mech probably helps to get the upshift going correctly. I think the front mech is more critical than the chainset.
  • Ken Night
    Ken Night Posts: 2,005
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by proto</i>

<b>Both front mechs are standard models not compact</b>. Both bikes use KMC chains.

Shifting on both is perfect, never had any problem whatsoever with either. Not much help, sorry.

I think I'd stick the Campag chainset back on and see if that cures it. If it does, you have an answer. But I'd be surprised.

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
    Interested to see you get away with standard FM-as I did, until I changed the chain

Thanks-how many pins have your FSA outer rings got-mine has 5 relatively recessed ones, compared to the Campag's 9-which stand quite proud?

The pick up on the Campag chainring is very poor (was perfect before from the 36), and often takes a revolution or so of clacking, and then throws it off-as if the angle was too much-which of course it isn't-as the 34t ring is further away than was the 36

<font size="1">"I once prayed to God for a bike, but quickly found out he didnt work that way...so I stole a bike and prayed for his forgiveness"
    </font id="size1">
    “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best..." Ernest Hemingway