cheers people

walkercp
walkercp Posts: 1,012
edited June 2007 in Commuting chat
On my way home last night was going through Deptford, passed a series of cars only for someone turning right, straight accross me to knock me off. Now I know there was at least 4 cyclist behind me as I'd passed them all, do you think any of them stopped to ask if I was ok? not a single fr!ggin one of them. So if your in South east London, North Kent way and you've had a fellow cyclist ask if your ok because your on foot, Thats me, I'm not stopping for Ar$ehole$ no more. [:(!]

Rhino's are the new Elephant
Baby Elephants - free from artificial flavourings, colourings and preservatives

Comments

• Mister Paul
    Mister Paul Posts: 719
    Did any of the drivers stop?

• domtyler
    domtyler Posts: 2,648
    edited February 2011
    Welcome to the UK.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Porridge not Petrol
    ________
    Oregon Dispensaries
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Porridge not Petrol
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    when i had my accident the opposite happened, about 6 people stopped to help (no cyclists as none went past)

http://img501.imageshack.us/my.php?image=bikeim9.jpg
  • walkercp
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Mister Paul</i>

Did any of the drivers stop?

The driver stopped, but only the passenger got out.

• walkercp
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by domtyler</i>

Welcome to the UK.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Porridge not Petrol
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I've not lived anywhere else

• el_presidente
    el_presidente Posts: 1,963
    Sorry to the bloke with the mechanical on Regents Park last night by the business school, I really wanted to stop to help but I was super late for an appointment.

When I got there the appointment had been cancelled though so that shows me.
    <a>road</a>
  • mazcp
    mazcp Posts: 953
    @walker - "you passed them all"...hmmm, was this a commuter race? No wonder they didn't stop for you.

Hope you're OK (I would've stopped, honest).
  • walkercp
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by maz</i>

@walker - "you passed them all"...hmmm, was this a commuter race? No wonder they didn't stop for you.

Hope you're OK (I would've stopped, honest).

I wasn't racing against them, But they might of against me

• comsense
    comsense Posts: 245
    Years ago, I was commuting to work.I was hit by a stolen car driving at speed along the hard margin. What sticks in my mind was the traffic just driving merrily along and the faces looking out the car windows at me and the smashed bike on the roadside. I was angrier at them than I was at the scum that knocked me down.
  • I got knocked down on Old Street roundabout many years back. The car carried on up City Road leaving me sprawled on the deck, blood running down my arm. The following car hooted at me. Nobody stopped.
  • BlackandBlue
    BlackandBlue Posts: 1,467
    I once came a cropper on my way to work. Three cyclists stopped and a lady got out of her car in the rain holding up traffic behind her. All because I had hit a pothole obscured by a dirty puddle (into which I landed and inadvertently drank from).

I have also been knocked off on a roundabout and had cars steer round me as I lay spreadeagled on the ground.

Maybe people stop more readily if there's no-one else involved?
  • firsthippy
    firsthippy Posts: 639
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by BlackandBlue</i>
    I have also been knocked off on a roundabout and had cars steer round me as I lay spreadeagled on the ground.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

You should be thankful they drove around you.. :)

hippy 1029 4312
  • dsoutar
    dsoutar Posts: 1,746
    I hope they all get squished by a skip lorry. I can't imagine cycling past someone who'd got punted off. Not even an RLJ. Unfortunately it's a very sad indictment of the state of society (or at least society in London).

"Get a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live." ~ Mark Twain, "Taming the Bicycle"
  • Roastie
    Roastie Posts: 1,968
    That's kak walker.

1) The other day I got a puncture about 200m from home. I decided to rather just carry it home on my shoulder than fix it on the pavement. About 6 guys rode past, not one even slowed to ask if I needed help.

2) About 2 months back I was in a hurry and I whizzed past a dude with a mechanical. I didn't stop because I was in a hurry to get to the station to get my train. 100m later I got a puncture - the same dude rode past me and offered help. I felt so small and stupid. Karma is a b@stard.

I should just add that usually I do stop to offer help, and if someone had come off, I'd stop, irrespective.
  • ColinJ
    ColinJ Posts: 2,218
    Unfortunately, it's not just London... This heart-warming story in my local paper last year really made me feel proud to be part of modern Britain [:(!]!

A Miss is as good as a mile, especially if she cycles...
  • walkercp
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by ColinJ</i>

Unfortunately, it's not just London... This heart-warming story in my local paper last year really made me feel proud to be part of modern Britain [:(!]!

A Miss is as good as a mile, especially if she cycles...

thats really sad, [:(]

• chewa
    chewa Posts: 164
    I came off my bike on ice. Landed in the middle of the road and couldn't easily get up (clipped in and trapped ). No-one stopped to help. Cars stopped, but just to wait for a clear bit to go past me.

However, to counter that, when I got whacked by a Transit when on my motorbike, as I came round from the morphine induced unconsciousness (while they tried to straighten my leg so they could get me on a stretcher)there were six other motorbikes parked up at the side of the road - all of the riders enquiring after my health.

Gave me a warm fuzzy feeling (but that could have been the morphine [:)])

plus je vois les hommes, plus j'admire les chiens
    plus je vois les hommes, plus j'admire les chiens

Black 531c tourer
    FCN 7
    While dahn saff Dahon Speed 6 FCN 11!!!
    Also 1964 Flying Scot Continental
    1995 Cinelli Supercorsa (columbus slx)
    BTwin Rockrider 8.1
    Unicycle
    Couple of others!
  • thedoctor
    thedoctor Posts: 529
    There's been a shedload of research done on this - google 'bystander intervention'. Basically, if there's only a few people around one of them will help. If there's lots of people everyone will assume someone else will help, so no-one actually ends up helping.
    I can report from bitter experience that if you dislocate your shoulder upstairs, and your partner is downstairs watching Cybermen and Daleks having a barney, you won't be heard however loudly you yell!