Sportives

I'm relatively new to the sportive scene but am amazed at the number of people on the rides that i have been on have either:

1) sat on and not done any work (in some cases for 30-40 miles)( actually that was me last sunday at highclere Sorry hevipedal!)
2) stopped in the middle of the road with no warning
3) started at a stupid pace only to fall off the pace after 20 miles or so
4) got off to walk on the first major climb
5) yo-yoing up and down the road all the time rather than concentrating on maintaining a constant pace.

how does one educate politely?

Jocksyboy

Comments

• Pirahna
    Pirahna Posts: 1,315
    A lot of the people I see on sportivs are solo riders and have no idea about riding in a group. If you want somebody else to do some work just move over and ask them to come through.

We all know groups ride faster, some people will not have travelled at group speeds before and will tag on to see what happens.

Some people will be their at limit already and won't be able to add anything. You'll see them drop off after a few miles.

Some people know exactly what they're doing but are just bone idle.
  • big_phil
    big_phil Posts: 18
    This is my biggest concern when riding sportives - the lack of experience about things like group riding, sharing work on the front etc. I am riding the Dragon in a couple of weeks and they are starting riders in groups of about 100. Should make for some interesting riding for first few miles ....
  • I only ride a few sportives in the UK each year but I'm always surprised at the lack of group riding. In Europe you can always pick up a decent group where most people collaborate to share the work.

Here it rarely happens. At the Highclere Castle sportive I passed four of five riders on the long stretch after the climb from the stop at Steep. They all tagged on to me but only one of them would work, the rest just sat on and wouldn't come through when encouraged.
  • Blonde
    Blonde Posts: 3,188
    Heh! Sound just like an audax to me! I just do a few kms on t'front as i think it only fair and polite then signal and pull to the right/middle of the road/white line and let the line come through so I can go to the back. Then it's usually a 'go slow competition' until someone else finally gives up and just gets on the front and does some work!
  • I'm entering the British Cyclosportive and am a total sportive virgin - and apart from sharing the work with my riding partner have no experience of riding in a group.

Having said that I'm more than willing to share the load in a group but can anybody advise on what is an acceptable time/distance period to spend at the front?
  • Norvcp
    Norvcp Posts: 1,485
    What's the difference between an Audax and a Sportive?

"Prejudice burns brighter when it's all we have to burn"

"Prejudice burns brighter when it\'s all we have to burn"
  • Blonde
    Blonde Posts: 3,188
    People on Audaxes pretend they aren't racing. People on Sportives pretend they are.
  • AcademicX
    AcademicX Posts: 152
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Blonde</i>

People on Audaxes pretend they aren't racing. People on Sportives pretend they are.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Spot on. [:)]
  • [:D][:D][:D]

Jocksyboy
  • Norvcp
    Norvcp Posts: 1,485
    He he, I think I get the idea.

"Prejudice burns brighter when it's all we have to burn"

"Prejudice burns brighter when it\'s all we have to burn"
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Blonde</i>

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">[:)] Exactly right.

The other difference is that in Audaxes you're responsible for finding the route whereas is Sportives usually the route is sign posted. The Highclere Castle sportive last week was very good in this regard.
  • dsoutar
    dsoutar Posts: 1,746
    The other thing that urineed me off last weekend was people coming through and then sitting up. Me and my mate got so annoyed we eventaully put the hammer down for a couple of km just to get away from this particular boy and girl combo. I'm no racer, far from it, but I expect people with top-end bikes and shaved legs to have an idea about how to ride, especially if you don't like the pace that people in front are doing. My mantra is I ride as good as my body tells me. I'm crap on hills so I just grind up them but I can get up to a pretty reasonable pace on the flat. Again, last week I went over 5km with about 6 people quite happily tucked in behind me. Maybe I'm just naive, but as stated above, when you pull over all that happens is that the pace drops.

"Get a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live." ~ Mark Twain, "Taming the Bicycle"
  • Pirahna
    Pirahna Posts: 1,315
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Blonde</i>

I always say their like an audax with feed stops but I like your one better.
  • markh_mcsd
    markh_mcsd Posts: 116
    The UK Sportive Phenomenon - http://www.cyclosport.co.uk/article.aspx?id=356

<font size="1">Half Armstrong</font id="size1">
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    The idea of a sportive is to ride at the pace you wish. It is not a race after all.
    Some riders probably feel comfortable enough to ride in a bunch but not fit enough to go through on the front. Just ask them if it worries you that much. You cannot expect them to slow down and leave a gap!!
    If your really worried about it put in an effort for a couple of miles and ride them off your wheel. If they are taking the wee and still on your wheel, sit up and drop behind them [:D]

I suppose it depends what you want out of the ride, you can always ride it alone yourself ?

You can also try to "educate" some riders, [:D] some do not know to keep to left when being passed or when to stop and when to lok around, thats the point of these rides, everyone can learn and enjoy ride.

Feel free to browse and donate:
    http://www.justgiving.com/davidbethanmills
    My winter and summer bike pics

http://oldwelshman.myphotoalbum.com
  • dsoutar
    dsoutar Posts: 1,746
    Fair point OWM as I only learnt these things myself on sportives (and probably by being an @rse myself to start with)

"Get a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live." ~ Mark Twain, "Taming the Bicycle"
  • If they wont ride with you. Its simple burn them off. :P

"People setting the pace too fast on the front are abused to slow down. Riders that do not share the work are abused. Riders that need abuse get abused and the abuse is done in every language so they get the message"
  • Wogan
    Wogan Posts: 203
    Right then. I'm a newbie, first sportive coming up on 1st July.

I've never ridden in a group before. I have no clue about etiquette. Tell me, o wise ones: what should I be doing to avoid your wrath? This is your chance to educate at least one noob rider, so school me.
    <font>Hemingway Soapbags</font>
  • oldwelshman
    First of all its not a race but a challenging cycle ride with varying distances which enable novices to have the opportunity to ride with or without a group as hard or easy as they like within timescales and to get the chance to experience riding with more experienced riders and in groups.
    I suppose you could be unfortunate to ride behind an over sensative ex racing cyclist who may get upset if you stay close behind his wheel to shelter [:D]
    Basically ride within your limits and if you can, try to join a group to experience riding at a higher pace in a group.
    Have a chat with them and introduce yourself also because then they will know your new and will be far more tollerant than if you draft behind them silently [:D]
    If you feel strong enough you may want to voulunteer to have a go on the front for a minute or two [:D]
    Do not turn up on an old mountain bike with flat tyres and go past them and wave as this will be bad for their ego [:D]
    Be alert on the ride and be aware that there will be riders coming from behind you so no sudden pulling out to the right without checking behind first.
    It may be worth while looking at the start for a group to join and ride along with, I am sure the riders would not mind, they are not all that bad honestly so no need to panic !!

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Wogan</i>

I've never ridden in a group before. I have no clue about etiquette. Tell me, o wise ones: what should I be doing to avoid your wrath? This is your chance to educate at least one noob rider, so school me.

• ColinJ
    ColinJ Posts: 2,218
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Wogan</i>

I could suggest a few things so you could avoid doing what some people have done to me...

Don't do anything unexpected! I was riding round a roundabout in Spain in March. Our group had done the same road nearly every day for a week, but one guy still decided to ride straight on instead of following the group! He forced me off down the road ahead, as we leaned into each other to stay upright.

Be gentle on your brakes.

Don't suddenly stand up without warning on a hill because the person behind is likely to catch up with your back wheel rather quickly.

If you see a hazard ahead, let the people behind you know about it. I once nearly hit a big pothole because the fool in front of me thought that swerving round it at the last moment was the thing to do. He was at the front of the group so he had plenty of time to spot it. I managed to bunny hop it, but it was too late to warn the guy behind me who punctured his front wheel and nearly crashed as a result.

If you have bad wind, release it at the back of the group!

If you are going to pee on the bike, do it at the back of the group! A woman once did it in the middle of our group in Spain and it got sprayed off her rear wheel into the faces of the riders behind [:(]. I assume that it was either an 'accident', or she really didn't like them...

A Miss is as good as a mile, especially if she cycles...
  • oldwelshman
    You sure she was weeing? You may have excited her
    [:o)]
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by ColinJ</i>

I could suggest a few things so you could avoid doing what some people have done to me...

Don't do anything unexpected! I was riding round a roundabout in Spain in March. Our group had done the same road nearly every day for a week, but one guy still decided to ride straight on instead of following the group! He forced me off down the road ahead, as we leaned into each other to stay upright.

Be gentle on your brakes.

Don't suddenly stand up without warning on a hill because the person behind is likely to catch up with your back wheel rather quickly.

If you see a hazard ahead, let the people behind you know about it. I once nearly hit a big pothole because the fool in front of me thought that swerving round it at the last moment was the thing to do. He was at the front of the group so he had plenty of time to spot it. I managed to bunny hop it, but it was too late to warn the guy behind me who punctured his front wheel and nearly crashed as a result.

If you have bad wind, release it at the back of the group!

If you are going to pee on the bike, do it at the back of the group! A woman once did it in the middle of our group in Spain and it got sprayed off her rear wheel into the faces of the riders behind [:(]. I assume that it was either an 'accident', or she really didn't like them...

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">[:I]

• ColinJ
    ColinJ Posts: 2,218
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by oldwelshman</i>

You sure she was weeing? You may have excited her
    [:o)]
    I was in the slow dry group, but word gets around about that kind of thing!

<b>PS</b> Ah, I said <i>our group</i> - I meant <i>one of our groups</i>...

• JWSurrey
    JWSurrey Posts: 1,173
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by oldwelshman</i>

The idea of a sportive is to....<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
    Hear hear, OWM - words well spoken - Surely sportives are about participation and encouragement - for instance, to learn to ride in groups at a higher pace.

I suppose if one ends up stuck at the front, going for a number 1 is one way to drop/refresh the drafters [:D]

So, as a complete novice at this, how does one know when the signal has come to ride through?
    (I feel a "riding etiquette" thread coming on).
  • Timeless
    Timeless Posts: 1,117
    it is not really that much of mystery, and some tips when riding in a group I would make are as follows:

be predictable at all times - maintain your line and don't weave all over the place, maintain a steady speed and don't drop off the wheel in front only to speed up and make up the gap suddenly and then brake to be at the same speed as the guy you have just caught - change your pace slowly so that you close a gap smoothly and modulate your speed according to those around you. only brake suddenly if you have to to avoid something.

as said before, if riding close together up a steep hill, be aware that when standing up there is a natural tendency to push the bike backwards (and into the wheel of the guy behind)

talk to the people around you

in a large group, it is difficult to share the load evenly, and no-one gets offended if you sit in a large group, but don't get into a small group (6 or less)and just take a ride. Give it a go on the front but when you've had enough either pull over to the right to let the others past on the inside, or flick your elbow and they will know to come past you. It doesn't matter if it is 30 seconds or 15 minutes - you decide when you have had enough. The work does not need to be evenly spread as the riders are unlikely to be of equal fitness, but any amount of effort will be appreciated and you will feel like part of a well-oiled machine, rather than a spare part.

watch the hand signals that others give - pointing out potholes, warning of cars parked on the left, etc - and pass the signals back through the group.

if you are not confident drinking/eating while maintaining your line and speed, drop to the back of the group to do this.
    <font size="1">baby elephants are just so 2006... </font id="size1">
  • Wogan
    Wogan Posts: 203
    Thanks for the tips all - looks like common sense to me. It may seem like common knowledge to you veterans but newbies fret about how long we should spend at the front or how we get there/move aside. Don't be too harsh on us - it's not laziness, it's fear of screwing up! I'll be sure to follow the crowd on the day and take my turn.

Not sure about the p*ssing on the move though. Bleuch.
    <font>Hemingway Soapbags</font>
  • bunnyman
    bunnyman Posts: 62
    Guess it's a case of "first learn stand.Then learn fly"...

Why is the last mile always the hardest mile ? - The Smiths
    Why is the last mile always the hardest mile ? - The Smiths
  • hevipedal
    hevipedal Posts: 2,475
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Jocksyboy</i>

I'm relatively new to the sportive scene but am amazed at the number of people on the rides that i have been on have either:

1) sat on and not done any work (in some cases for 30-40 miles)( <u>actually that was me last sunday at highclere Sorry hevipedal!</u>)
    2) stopped in the middle of the road with no warning
    3) started at a stupid pace only to fall off the pace after 20 miles or so
    4) got off to walk on the first major climb
    5) yo-yoing up and down the road all the time rather than concentrating on maintaining a constant pace.

how does one educate politely?

Jocksyboy

Not a problem, glad to have company, and I did ride off at the end and leave you. I thought I could beat the 8 hrs. I crossed the line and accordining to my watch had made it with a minute to spare.
    But the official timing said I was a minute over the 8. Oh well better luck next time.
    I did sprint at the end though.

<b><font color="red"> Hevipedal </font id="red"></b>
    Phrase of the week - <font color="red"><font size="3"><b> I've got a bike. You can ride it if you like.
    It's got a basket, a bell that rings and
    Things to make it look good.
    I'd give it to you if I could, but I borrowed it.
    </font id="red"> </font id="size3"> </b>

51yrs old and Proud of it - Made it to 87kg 2 more to go for the target.
    Pedal to Paris Sept 2007
    Hevipedal
    It's not only people that are irrational; 1.4142135623730950488016887242096980785696718753769480731766797379907324784621
  • sonicred007
    sonicred007 Posts: 1,091
    As a newbie hoping to do first cyclosportive later this year, isn't what's happening right now about the growth in cycling in the UK... can't we be embraced? We don't mean not know the rules

You start off commuting, you cycle a bit further and then you're entering comps. And not necessarily with any experience of riding with anyone, nevermind groups.

Although in my particular case I'll be glad to just get on a bike after being knocked by a car 6 weeks ago, nevermind riding with a group and taking my turn at the front[;)]
  • some good points and some v. amusing ones.

Wasn't meant as a dig to newbies just a request for advice [8D]

Often the problem I have found is with cycling you are either a beginner or a really experienced rider where are all the intermediates like me!!!![;)]

Jocksyboy
  • Booboocp
    Booboocp Posts: 1,156
    We had many 'newbies' riding the WRC on Sunday.

I had said we would sweep up this year to stop us having to wait for the really, really late arrivals (last year we worked a 16 hour day!).

However when Matt told me there were 'newbie' riders still making their way around the course we hung on (till 8:30 p.m.) for them to finish - they had been on the road over 12.5 hours!

OK you could say they bit off more than they should, but I had nothing but respect for them and would not have wanted to spoil what I'm sure was an epic day by removing their timing chips.

<b>Event Website:</b> http://www.whiteroseclassic.co.uk
    <b>Event Website:</b> http://www.whiteroseclassic.co.uk