Cycling tattoo's - advice/ideas?

2»

Comments

• what sort of price are these more eleborate tattoos?

he who rides behind car gets exhausted
  • BigBren
    BigBren Posts: 145
    In my experience, that type of work is completed over several sittings and is charged by the hour; the hourly charge can vary wildly, depending on the skill and experience of the artist and consequently, how in demand they are.

Bren
  • Why not have one of a penis extending two inches below your shorts?

Nobody ever got laid because they were using Shimano
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    It depends on the tattooist.
    The large ones on my legs were done in one sitting, 7 hours!! these were a special deal the tattoist does during the winter for œ200. It would be 4 times that usually.
    If you want one, only go to a reputable and registerred tatooist and look at their work first and try to go to one with recommendations. There are many bad tattooists around and if you have one, it is for life!!

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Chandler Bing</i>

what sort of price are these more eleborate tattoos?

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Feel free to browse and donate:
    http://www.justgiving.com/davidbethanmills
    My winter and summer bike pics

http://oldwelshman.myphotoalbum.com
  • oldwelshman
    It depends on the tattooist.
    The large ones on my legs were done in one sitting, 7 hours!! these were a special deal the tattoist does during the winter for œ200. It would be 4 times that usually.
    If you want one, only go to a reputable and registerred tatooist and look at their work first and try to go to one with recommendations. There are many bad tattooists around and if you have one, it is for life!!

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Chandler Bing</i>

what sort of price are these more eleborate tattoos?

• AndyGates
    AndyGates Posts: 8,467
    There's some lovely work on that Flickr album.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/93537824@N00/403542691/ Yum. Velocity deep V's, brakeless, septum ring, much in. Bet she swears like a trooper too. [:)]

Ahem. Back ontopic..!

<font size="1">
    <b>No longer looking for a pennyfarthing as I've got some powerbocks instead. Casualty here I come!</b>
    It is by will alone I set my ride in motion.</font id="size1">
    Wanted: Penny farthing. Please PM me!
    Advice for kilted riders: top-tubes are cold.
  • n.welshy
    n.welshy Posts: 61
    Many fine ideas folks

Very nearly went for the Queen lyric 'I want to ride my bicycle, I want to ride my bike' in olde english / gothic script, but settled upon two wavy lines to represent aquarius birth sign.

The Queen lyric might have to go somewhere else!
    Neil
  • Jaded
    Jaded Posts: 6,663
    If you are prone to keloid scarring you should take two steps back and think hard before going ahead.

--
    <font size="1">[Warning] This post may contain a baby elephant or traces of one</font id="size1">
  • dakidcp
    dakidcp Posts: 744
    So, where's the photo, <b>n.welshy</b>? [:)]

<hr noshade size="1">"Get a bicycle. You will not regret it, if you live."
    <i>Mark Twain</i>
    <i>Mark Twain</i>
  • n.welshy
    Shall attempt to add photo asap.

How do I do it though?
    Neil
  • dakidcp
    Not quite sure the best way of doing it. I'd just upload it to my own website by FTP, but I think easiest thing for a non-techy to do is to upload to something like flickr or photobucket?? Others on here can advise, I'm sure.

<i>Mark Twain</i>
    <i>Mark Twain</i>
  • How about the 'HD' Henri Desgrange logo that appears on the TdF jerseys ?

Subtle, but instantly recognisable to most racing cyclists...

Do you know the five lamps ?
  • AndyGates
    AndyGates Posts: 8,467
    (Easiest way to share photos quickly is to get a photobucket account. Free, brainless, and each photo comes with the link code for sharing)

My back - which isn't bike-related - was four sessions about a month apart, œ60 per session.

<font size="1">
    <b>No longer looking for a pennyfarthing as I've got some powerbocks instead. Casualty here I come!</b>
    It is by will alone I set my ride in motion.</font id="size1">
    Wanted: Penny farthing. Please PM me!
    Advice for kilted riders: top-tubes are cold.
  • heavymental
    heavymental Posts: 2,076
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by n.welshy</i>

Many fine ideas folks

Very nearly went for the Queen lyric 'I want to ride my bicycle, I want to ride my bike' in olde english / gothic script, but settled upon two wavy lines to represent aquarius birth sign.

The Queen lyric might have to go somewhere else!

Two wavy lines?! Anyone else feel a bit let down?[;)]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    If a man is considered guilty for what goes on in his mind...give me the electric chair for all my future crimes...
  • knucklehead
    knucklehead Posts: 243
    Yes.

Pity I have to wait another year before I'm old enough.

Just as well, can't afford a decent one anyway.
  • n.welshy
    Thanks for the comments guys

Not quite 2 wavy lines, and not yet completed (booked in for 2 hours but studio was 90 minutes behind schedule and I had to be somewhere!)

Obviously quite defensive!

Will look pretty good under the new Assos F1 Equipes on offer at Ribble for œ79 at moment.

Further photo to be provided when complete (with shorts?!)

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa18 ... GP1453.jpg
    Neil
  • dakidcp
    Looks pretty cool. Can see you wear the hairy shorts in the summer though [:D]

<i>Mark Twain</i>
    <i>Mark Twain</i>
  • n.welshy
    When you're so hairy, where do you stop? If I went higher up it would then look like a hair shirt. My wife thinks I look like something from Chronicles of Narnia as it is!
    Neil
  • oldwelshman
    Hairy legs spoil the tatts [:D]
    Mine look better now I shave my legs for cycling [:D]
    can just make some out in my races folder below.

• jackelder
    jackelder Posts: 7
    BlackbirdSF has one of the best cycling-themed tattoos that I've ever seen. I'm quite tempted to get a chainwheel on my right forearm now.

Ideal location for a cyclist's tattoo has to be the outer calf - shows off well in shorts. Thighs are also good, but you have to be careful that it's not going to get too covered if you get slightly longer shorts. I've got a nicely sized (about the size of your hand) blackwork spiral on my right calf, and I reckon it's pretty stylee.

Annoyingly, my tattoo habit has been put on hold - I can't afford to get tats and buy new bike kit (young family, not much spare cash). Next plan is to get full sleeves - kirituhi on my left arm, abstract black/red work on my right. Of course, I'd have to work out how to work the chainwheel into the abstract work... ;)

Of course, YMMV, and some people are anti-tattoos. If you don't like the look or the subject matter, fair enough (there's a lot of cheesy stuff out there). If you get it done right by a decent tattooist (not your mate on their kitchen table), it should last nicely. And to people who say that it'll look ropey when you're 80 - it's not like the rest of your skin's going to be a baby's bottom at that point, is it? If the most I have to worry about at 80 is how my tats look I'll be doing quite nicely I reckon.
  • Massimo
    Massimo Posts: 318
    Use the best cycling quote ever....

"Cycling's like church, many attend, but very few really understand" :wink:
    Crash 'n Burn, Peel 'n Chew
    FCN: 2
  • priory
    priory Posts: 743
    I know a bloke with a 1foot high tattoo of what I took to be a michelin man across his back. Actually he thinks it is Buster Bloodvessel, but you may prefer the former.
    Whether it does anything to increase his social standing I do not know, but it is eye-catching.

TerryJ
    Raleigh Eclipse, , Dahon Jetstream XP, Raleigh Banana, Dawes super galaxy, Raleigh Clubman

http://s189.photobucket.com/albums/z122 ... =slideshow
  • mcdonji1
    mcdonji1 Posts: 121
    This would be as close as I would get to a tatoo.......http://www.probikekit.com/display.php?code=C9777

Jim
    Kind words butter no parsnips.