Bike sizing/choice

rookieme
rookieme Posts: 6
edited June 2007 in Road beginners
Hi
NEWBIE- Looking for help!!!!!!!!!

I recently decided to get back into cycling after many years and am interested in a Focus Variado(Wiggle œ595)-seems a nice bit of kit at price. PROBLEM= I am getting 2 differnt frame sizes e.g My inside leg indicates a Med/56cm frame and my height indicates a Sml/52cm frame(using their size guide). I emailed them the measurements and they tell me i need a small.
QUESTION: The Sml/52cm frame fits a 28/30" inside leg--my inside leg is 31"(med), would this bike still be okay???<b></b>.
I ask because they are currently out of the med frame-Are they just trying to flog what they have left??

Also have an eye on the Giant SCR1 at winstanleybikes for œ599.(any1 have one?)

I would be very happy if someone out there could help me before i lose the idea and go back to the sofa......Thank you[?]

Comments

• Rich Hcp
    Rich Hcp Posts: 1,355
    This is what I was told

If the frame is too big it'll never work.

If it is smaller you can raise the saddle and maybe change the stem or shims

Sounds like good advice

Richard

Best thing I ever bought for a bike?
    Padded shorts![:D]
    Richard

Giving it Large
  • rookieme
    Thanks for reply rich h

Excuse my ignorance---What are the shims????
    Would i really have to change the seatpost because my inside leg is an extra inch above the guide?

I dunno if i'm being fussy-its just ¶œ600 is a lot of cash for me.
    Thanx
  • Rich Hcp
    Rich Hcp Posts: 1,355
    Shim is a large washer a few mm thick that can go under the stem to raise the height of the bars.

The seatpost will be fine.

There is always an overlap in sizes[:D]

Richard

Best thing I ever bought for a bike?
    Padded shorts![:D]
    Richard

Giving it Large
  • RufusA
    RufusA Posts: 500
    Conventional wisdom is that for a road bike, frame size (centre of crank to top of tube) should be 0.67 * inseam. The inseam is usually a couple of inches longer than your inside leg as it is measured from your crutch to the floor. Find a thickish hardback book. Stand over it, pressing it to where a saddle would go, with your bare feet on the floor. Measure from the top of the book to the ground.

Height can be a useful guide, but as it takes in to account head and neck length it shouldn't be relied on.

You probably already know this, but if you are unsure about bike size the best thing to do would be to visit a good LBS, select a model, and try the different sizes for a fit. A good LBS should be able to advise on fit. Whilst there is some adjustment in seat position etc. riding on too small a frame with too long a seat post may adversely affect bike responsiveness.

Wiggle do have a "try it for a week" on their Focus bikes, so if you *must* buy online then at least you can return it if you can't ride comfortably on it.

Finally now is a tricky time of year to buy bikes as many manufacturers are gearing up for the "2008" bike launch, so effectively we just have the less popular sizes of most of the big name bikes left in the UK.

HTH - Rufus.
  • pw1brown
    pw1brown Posts: 243
    As RufusA says, you'd be well advised to try the bikes for size before you commit yourself.
  • Steve I
    Steve I Posts: 428
    When you say small/52 I presume you mean small/54 the 52 is the extra small. I bought the Univega Via Laser from them a few months ago, the size chart indicated a medium/56 for me but I e-mailed Wiggle and they recommended a small/54. I went with their recommendation and it was spot on, I'm well happy with the fit of my bike. If it helps, I'm 5' 9 1/2" with a 33" crotch to floor measurement (not the same as inside leg).
  • scm
    scm Posts: 5,505
    The most important dimension to get right is the reach (top tube length) - you can get nice long seat pins if your legs are proportionately long for your body, but you can't do much to adjust the reach if it's not right.
    --
    It is better to have loved a short person, than never to have loved a tall.
  • 2191flint
    2191flint Posts: 803
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by scm</i>

The most important dimension to get right is the reach (top tube length) - you can get nice long seat pins if your legs are proportionately long for your body, but you can't do much to adjust the reach if it's not right.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Well you could try a longer stem? But best advice is ,if you are at all uncertain, don't buy on line, unless you have sat on the same brand/size in a shop, and know that it will be OK.

Get along to your nearest LBS and have a look at their range of bikes, then make a decision based firstly on size and fit, then if you find that there are a couple of bikes, that you like, go with your heart and buy the one your heart tells you to get.

A turkey is just for Christmas, not for life.

Me and my bike- http://aolpictures.aol.co.uk/galleries/flintosaur9/
    Signature free - with immediate effect.

Me and my bike- http://aolpictures.aol.co.uk/galleries/flintosaur9/
  • rookieme
    Thanks for replys everyone

Steve I - You say you have a " 33" crotch to floor measurement (not the same as inside leg"
    I am confused (I thought crotch to floor running down along the inside leg is the 'inside leg' measurement????
    Yes- the sml is a 54..
    I might just bite the bullet and get the sml-I just don't want to think they are selling the sml as they have no med left..

AGAIN-Thanks everyone.Its good to know there are people out there to help newbies..
  • Steve I
    Steve I Posts: 428
    It's just that some people will refer to the size they buy trousers as their inseam measurement. As long as you know the difference you'll be ok.