cervelo and frame pump

soloistcp
soloistcp Posts: 10
edited June 2007 in Workshop
bit of a specific question this so i don't know what sort of response I will get:

what frame pump (i.e. ones that fit a frame not the mini ones!) will fit on to a cervelo soloist - if any? will any old frame pump fit? just surfing on-line shops now, but worried that what i buy may not fit

i'm sick of carrying a mini pump in my jersey pocket!

thanks

Comments

• You can buy a bracket for the Blackburn air stick that fits behind the bottle cage. In fact I think quite a few pumps have this option. I've got this set up on my bike(s) and it works a treat.
  • monty_dogcp
    monty_dogcp Posts: 382
    The Topeak Road warrior will probably fit - the rubber ends means it grips well and doesn't damage the paint. Suggest you take your bike to a stockist to try the right one for size because things like cable routing can get in the way, particularly under the top tube.
  • pbiggs
    pbiggs Posts: 9,232
    You could make a Zefal/Truflo HPX fit under the top tube one way or another, but a bike like that deserves something lighter. Get yourself an Axiom Sprint Air or Innovations Road Air and put it besides the bottle cage. It's long and narrow enough to get the tyres up to good pressure.

<i>~Pete</i>
    <i>~Pete</i>
  • simmocp
    simmocp Posts: 203
    Buy a Topeak pocket rocket (carbon if you like) and keep it in your pocket. There's nothing more naff than a pump on your frame especially if it's a nice bike (IMO[:)])

simmo
    simmo
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by simmo</i>

Buy a Topeak pocket rocket (carbon if you like) and keep it in your pocket. There's nothing more naff than a pump on your frame especially if it's a nice bike (IMO[:)])

simmo
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Spot on.

If it doesn't fit, force it
    Topeak Pocket rocket - about the most insanely useless piece of carbon bike junk I've ever seen - a guy came out with one on our groups rides and flatted - we let him struggle with this 'ornament' for about 10 minutes before we started getting cold and then someone lent him a 'real' pump. By all means if you want to carry carbon trinkets with you and your vanity prevents you from carrying something less aesthetic but functional, but I presume the reason that Soloist asked the question was the fact that he actually wants to put some air in his tyres at a decent pressure in a reasonable amount of time!
  • derosa
    derosa Posts: 2,819
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Monty Dog</i>

Topeak Pocket rocket - about the most insanely useless piece of carbon bike junk I've ever seen - a guy came out with one on our groups rides and flatted - we let him struggle with this 'ornament' for about 10 minutes before we started getting cold and then someone lent him a 'real' pump. By all means if you want to carry carbon trinkets with you and your vanity prevents you from carrying something less aesthetic but functional, but I presume the reason that Soloist asked the question was the fact that he actually wants to put some air in his tyres at a decent pressure in a reasonable amount of time!

Well said Monty [^]

Big H

Those who risk nothing, do nothing, acheive nothing, become nothing.

Big H

May the road rise up to meet you.
    May the wind always be at your back.
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    I carry a blackburn air stick on my carbon bike - but to be honest if there was a way of fitting a decent pump without damaging the finish I'd do it.

Warning about well known bike shop removed at request of moderators.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • simmocp
    Keep your hair on Monty!![;)]
    Actually I flatted first time out with the Topeak and for sure it's not the worlds best pump, but it did the job and I went on to finish the second half of a 135kms race without problem.
    Look, you buy a Soloist because it looks nice and is supposedly aero. Strap a mini pump to the side of your bottle cage and negate both of the above. He'll be putting a saddle bag on next![:D]

simmo
    simmo
  • domtyler
    domtyler Posts: 2,648
    edited February 2011
    What have people got against CO2?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Porridge not Petrol
    ________
    Free Joomla Themes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Porridge not Petrol
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by domtyler</i>

What have people got against CO2?
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Nothing. But the op asked about pumps. [;)]
  • monty_dogcp
    monty_dogcp Posts: 382
    The reason I get p*ssed is when some bike tart turns up on a training ride with some barely adequate mini-pump, one spare tube and then proceeds to ponce around for 10-15 minutes trying to get some air in his tyres whilst we're standing around freezing our nuts off. Invariably they flat again and need to borrow another tube because summer race tyres aren't very good in winter. What you carry on your own is fine, but when you mess-up somebody else's ride purely because of vanity, that's another thing.
  • simmocp
    Monty...........did I touch a nerve?
    I don't think I'd ride the Soloist in winter, but that's another story.

simmo
    simmo
  • soloistcp
    soloistcp Posts: 10
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by simmo</i>

Keep your hair on Monty!![;)]
    Actually I flatted first time out with the Topeak and for sure it's not the worlds best pump, but it did the job and I went on to finish the second half of a 135kms race without problem.
    Look, <b>you buy a Soloist because it looks nice and is supposedly aero. Strap a mini pump to the side of your bottle cage and negate both of the above. He'll be putting a saddle bag on next![:D]</b>
    simmo

rest assured there will be no saddle bags on my soloist!! [:D]however, i'm not concerned about having frame pump on it. i obviously race without a pump on it - but have no concerns about loss of aero advantage when training!! i can live with the loss of aesthetics on a training ride if it means tyres can be pumped quickly to 120psi!

thanks for all of the info so far peeps
  • Hugh A
    Hugh A Posts: 1,189
    I would recommend the 'Wese' mini-pump made by sks - in the longer size which fits onto a bottle cage mount and also usually comes with little rubber straps for fitting elsewhere.

It's the only smaller pump I've found which makes it fairly easy to get the tyres up to 100psi or so. Like Monty I often lend it to other people so we don't have to wait so long to get going again.

I'm sure I had one of those here somewhere
    I\'m sure I had one of those here somewhere
  • Brian B
    Brian B Posts: 2,071
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Monty Dog</i>

I have the carbon pocket rocket and mines works a treat. Better than most that I have owned. Perhaps it was the owner?

Brian B.
    Brian B.
  • nick hanson
    nick hanson Posts: 1,655
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Brian B</i>

I have the carbon pocket rocket and mines works a treat. Better than most that I have owned. Perhaps it was the owner?

Brian B.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Oh,err light the blue touch paper!

so many cols,so little time!
    so many cols,so little time!
  • Tall Jon
    Tall Jon Posts: 168
    Another pump worth a try is the topeak road morph. Easily gets up to 120 psi cos it works like a mini track pump. It's not a true frame pump but has a bracket that can be fitted on bottle cages of using releasble zip ties.