Police stopping cyclists in London

IsledeBlanc
IsledeBlanc Posts: 90
edited July 2007 in Commuting chat
Maybe just coincidence, but I've seen three cyclists stopped by the police in the last two weeks alone. The last one on Monday, going west on Chelsea Embankment (just after Chelsea Bridge Road) was caught by a determined motorbike copper who took some big risks in the traffic to catch the bemused cyclist.

Haven't witnessed any obvious cycling offences yet, just the aftermath, so can't comment whether the police action was justified. I'm just interested to find out if the police have decided that it's time to clamp down on law breaking cyclists.

Has anyone else noticed this? Or, if you've been stopped recently, what was the reason?

Comments

• Joscp
    Joscp Posts: 2
    Yep. It's that time of year again when cyclists get "very strong words of advice" or a ticket if you're unlucky.
    It will be over in a couple of weeks though. They just do this every now and again.
  • BentMikey
    BentMikey Posts: 4,895
    Nothing wrong with catching law breaking cyclists. I just wish they would also take action on the cars and buses that RLJ so much, because they are a hell of a lot more dangerous to everyone.

<font size="1">My bikes
    My skates</font id="size1">

If I had a baby elephant, I'd teach it to skate.
  • Massimo
    Massimo Posts: 318
    I had a lecture from two policemen on bicycles about 'respect for other road users'. They were riding two abreast on the pavement as I went past and cheerily shouted 'Get on the road you girls!' They had clearly had a sense of humour bypass that morning and at the next set of lights asked me to pull over and explain myself... :wink:
    Crash 'n Burn, Peel 'n Chew
    FCN: 2
  • ...what did you expect. The police do not like to be policed.
  • Big Red S
    Big Red S Posts: 26,890
    Every so often they spend a couple of weeks 'clamping down' on it, then they get back to ignoring all, rather than just the majority of, traffic offenses.
  • ScottDougall
    ScottDougall Posts: 912
    I had this too, I passed a police car stopped in a box junction and shouted at them as I went past - they then stuck their lights and siren on and chased me down the road for a bit - I didnt think that they were chasing me !! - he then got out the HWC and started to quote me the passage about box junctions - at which point I called him a tw@t and wondered if the people who drive their 4x4's at me read the HWC too - so we end up shouting at each other about attitudes to cyclists - in the end they gave up - told me I was likely to be killed and drove off...

twats

interesting anti swearing thingy at large on the site...
    ...its the legs that count !
  • cupofteacp
    cupofteacp Posts: 578
    Unfortunately the police are useless, how can less that 1% police the rest.

The idea is that through a highly visible presence they deter law breaking.

However I feel through their petty attitude to cyclists they do exactly the opposite. A bit like prohibition. Your not going to stop it and it just makes it more exciting; in addition it doesn’t sort out the original problem.

Cyclists who are dumb enough to RLJ will get themselves hurt, the possibility of others being hurt is minimal. OK I know about Ped crossing but Peds do enough to kill themselves without cyclists.

The one group that really kills is the motorist and yet still this problem in cities is not being addressed.
    15 * 2 * 5
    * 46 = Happiness
  • BentMikey
    Getting attitude and shoutyness towards policemen is not the most sensible thing to be doing for a quiet life, IMO.
  • Fat Head
    Fat Head Posts: 765
    Policemen and women have the personality of a marrowfat pea. Now then now then, dibble. Monosylabic and all that. Under pressure and stressed out cos no-one really likes them, so a joke gets treated like criminality!
  • Black Keith
    Black Keith Posts: 224
    wonderfully ignorant stereotype there.
  • Black Keith
    Black Keith Posts: 224
    heh.
    I doubt the cops would want me in the force

<font size="1">My bikes
    My skates</font id="size1">

If I had a baby elephant, I'd teach it to skate.

What about those twats using mobile phones when they drive bloody half wits.

Wish the cops would clamp down on that hard.
  • BentMikey
    Yeah, that too. On Sunday I came up next to a woman on the phone, she had been driving like a loon in Peckham. All the drivers stuck in traffic around us were laughing approvingly when I told her loudly to put the phone down.
  • schmako
    schmako Posts: 1,982
    I would complain, but I've been to Amsterdam. If you complain about our roads, wait until you see theirs. Try walking (or anything) across a road there: with vehicles, trams and cyclists (the majority on mobiles!) all ignoring you. An eye-opening experience.