Projected Boston (Lincs) to London Ride.....

Katherine
Katherine Posts: 25
edited February 2008 in Tour & expedition
Has anyone got any route suggestions for a ride I am hoping to do between Boston in Lincolnshire to London? Any areas to avoid, or any places that are particularly scenic that I could incorporate into my route?

Comments

• vernonlevy
    vernonlevy Posts: 969
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Katherine</i>

Has anyone got any route suggestions for a ride I am hoping to do between Boston in Lincolnshire to London? Any areas to avoid, or any places that are particularly scenic that I could incorporate into my route?
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
    Try using the bike option on viamichelin, www.viamichelin.com - it normally selcts the quieter roads for cycles.
  • please forgive my being flippant but If i were you I would totally avoid LONDON[:D]
    Gravity sucks
  • Cathryn
    Cathryn Posts: 176
    Not very encouraging, are we tonight!!

Katherine, it sounds great!! If it were me, I'd head towards Cambridge to start with, as it's really pretty round that part of the world. I'd then go towards Bishop Stortford as the Essex/Herts border is gorgeous and I've had some lovely day trips round there.

I know the next section slightly better. I'd head towards Ware, down to Cheshunt and then to Enfield just inside the M25. From there, I'd cycle down to Muswell Hill in North London (the nicest place after Salzburg) and then into central London.

Ignore what BigTallFatBloke says...London absolutely rocks and cycling in London is amazing. It's a bit scary and it helps if you know where you're going, but I used to cycle in a lot and was fine. You might want to finish your trip somewhere symbolic like Tralfalgar Sqare. If you want help working out a route through London, let me know.

I quite fancy doing this trip, the more I think about it!!
  • Cunobelin
    Cunobelin Posts: 11,792
    I have chosen specific routes that I have travelled and enjoyed, but that can be easily researched and mapped.

My route would be:
    1.National Cycle Network (NCN1 (Hull to Harwich) From Boston to Wisbech
    2. From Wisbech, to March, and Huntingdon,
    3. From Huntingdon pick up NCN51 to Sandy and then NCN12 to Hatfield and Potters Bar
    4. After that it's up to you
    All of this can be traced at http://www.sustrans.org/default.asp?sID=1090921162607

For London there is a journey planner and a series of free cycle maps

<b><i>He that buys land buys many stones.
    He that buys flesh buys many bones.
    He that buys eggs buys many shells,
    But he that buys good beer buys nothing else.</b></i>
    (Unattributed Trad.)
    <b><i>He that buys land buys many stones.
    He that buys flesh buys many bones.
    He that buys eggs buys many shells,
    But he that buys good beer buys nothing else.</b></i>
    (Unattributed Trad.)
  • Smoothie
    Smoothie Posts: 7
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by vernonlevy</i>
    Try using the bike option on viamichelin, www.viamichelin.com - it normally selcts the quieter roads for cycles.

Wow, thanks for that... I'd never come across it before. Showing some interesting alternatives for the routes I usually take...
    elephant...astic?
  • vernonlevy
    vernonlevy Posts: 969
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Smoothie</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by vernonlevy</i>

Wow, thanks for that... I'd never come across it before. Showing some interesting alternatives for the routes I usually take...

I use it all the time for planning DIY Audaxes. It's a great tool and largely undiscovered by cyclists.
  • Katherine
    Katherine Posts: 25
    The first leg of the journey I've decided will be as follows:

Boston - Kirton - Sutterton - Gosberton - Spalding along B1397, A152 and B1356.
    Spalding - Crowland - Newborough - Peterborough via minor road alongside a drain, Crowland town centre, A1073, B1143 and Guntons road.

I'm trying to take a route that will allow plenty of opportunities for a rest, so trying to go through as many small towns and villages as possible. I don't mind busier roads.
  • rocker666
    rocker666 Posts: 221
    Crowland has a fantastic semi ruined abbey, Spalding can be either nice or grotty depending...

One word of advice from a local in this area - carry (and use!) a good bike lock and don't assume panniers etc will be safe either - a large migrant workforce, mixed with a large number of workshy locals results in a higher than normal crime rate with regard to things like theft of untethered articles....don't want to scare you, merely to suggest the lock.

On the other hand I've had no problems whatsoever when out riding. Rode from Wisbech to Crowland on Sunday for a nice 65km round trip, had a great time, past a load of teenagers fishing, no hassle.

To a believer no proof is necessary.
    To an unbeliever no proof is acceptable

http://www.naturalbritain.co.uk
    To a believer no proof is necessary.
    To an unbeliever no proof is acceptable

http://www.naturalbritain.co.uk
  • hey there!

Not to long ago I did Cleethorpes to Colchester, 3 1/2 days it took me, I did about 70mile first day then slowed down to about 30 odd miles a day for the rest, pretty much your best bet would be to follow on from Boston to Holbeach then Wisbech think its Downham Market then, (or whichever is first!) then thru Thetford Forest down toward ..... Stowmarket but theres a bit where you just skip past it,where was it I went then... oh yeah! then sorta past Needham Market way , your probably better with after Thetford Forest going toward Newmarket then Cambridge and then toward Stevenage.

There's plenty of scope for getting down to London - get a downloadable version of the sustrans map , that should help you plan what routes to take which should be more cycle friendly for you.

Have a gud un.
    'since the flaming telly's been taken away, we don't even know if the Queen of Englands gone off with the dustman'.
    Lizzie Birdsworth, Episode 64, Prisoner Cell Block H.