Tour de France...in UK?

mazcp
mazcp Posts: 953
edited June 2007 in Commuting chat
How come it's coming to England? I don't get it, it's too complicated. Are they cycling down the channel tunnel? How's it work?

wrong forum room....oops too late.

Comments

• ChrisKH
    ChrisKH Posts: 1,717
    The same reason it sometimes goes to Belgium. And I have no idea why that is either.[:D]

Baby elephants are so last year, darling.
  • Roastie
    Roastie Posts: 1,968
    The Tour regularly starts off in (and goes into) countries other than France. I'm hardly an expert, but I think the host cities pay long tom to be involved.

ps. Any of the London commuters planning to watch the prologue and/or the first stage?
  • Greenbank
    Greenbank Posts: 731
    Going to a friends wedding that weekend so I'll be missing both the Prologue and the first stage.

I'm also at a party to celebrate another recent wedding the week before which put an end to me entering the British Cyclosportive Etape.

--
    If I had a baby elephant signature, I'd use that.
    --
    If I had a baby elephant signature, I\'d use that.
  • mazcp
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by ChrisKH</i>

The same reason it sometimes goes to Belgium. And I have no idea why that is either.[:D]

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
    Aye, but there's a bit of water between us and France!
  • Greenbank
    Greenbank Posts: 731
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by maz</i>

How come it's coming to England? I don't get it, it's too complicated. Are they cycling down the channel tunnel? How's it work?

Look at the map of any recent Tour. It's not always completely within France (they often go into Belgium, Germany, etc) and they sometimes get aeroplanes or trains between sets of stages.

And it's not continuous. They don't always start a stage exactly where the last one finished.

On the 2005 tour they took an aeroplane between Mulhouse and Grenoble, and a train between St Etienne and Corbeil Essonnes.

The real answer, of course, is that various palms are greased with vast sums of cash and the tour will go wherever there is money to be collected.

--
    If I had a baby elephant signature, I'd use that.
    --
    If I had a baby elephant signature, I\'d use that.
  • Archcp
    Archcp Posts: 8,987
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by maz</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by ChrisKH</i>

Aye, but there's a bit of water between us and France!

Aye, but, have you never seen a Campag-equipped carbon race pedallo?[;)]

(It's ok, like Greenbank says, they don't have to ride the whole way...)

If I had a baby elephant, it could help me clean the car. If I had a car.
    If I had a baby elephant, it could help me clean the car. If I had a car.
  • mazcp
    Thanks for the explanation.
    Taking a train and a plane?!...and I thought Lance Armstrong was a cheat! ;)
  • Hackbike 6
    Hackbike 6 Posts: 3,116
    <font color="red">ps. Any of the London commuters planning to watch the prologue and/or the first stage?</font id="red">

No im planning on trying to get to work.[:(!]

<font color="green"><font size="1">Hackbike 8 Commuting Debut 09/09/2006</font id="green"></font id="size1"><font size="1"><font color="blue">Dawes Audax 2006</font id="blue"></font id="size1"><font size="1"><font color="green"> New 20/09/2006</font id="green"><font color="red"> </font id="red"></font id="size1">
    <font color="blue">
    <font size="1"><font color="red"> Cycle Commuting since 1981 </font id="red"></font id="blue"></font id="size1">
    <font color="blue">
    <font size="1">Cycling Proficiency Test 24 May 1977</font id="blue"><font color="red"><font size="1"> (30 years ago)</font id="size1"></font id="red"></font id="size1">

<font size="1"><font color="red"> Ride to work part 1 of 8 http://tinyurl.com/ypjapc</font id="size1"></font id="red">
    <font color="red"><font size="1">Ride to work part 2 of 8 </font id="size1"></font id="red"><font size="1">http://tinyurl.com/2jfagu</font id="size1">
    <font color="red"><font size="1">Ride to work part 3 of 8</font id="red"></font id="size1"><font size="1"> http://tinyurl.com/2jcldv </font id="size1">

How not to lock a bike. http://i14.tinypic.com/52355zr.jpg
  • Roastie
    Roastie Posts: 1,968
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Hackbike 6</i>

<font color="red">ps. Any of the London commuters planning to watch the prologue and/or the first stage?</font id="red">

No im planning on trying to get to work.[:(!]
    Working through the weekend?
  • Hackbike 6
    Yes as per usual.

<font color="green"><font size="1">Hackbike 8 Commuting Debut 09/09/2006</font id="green"></font id="size1"><font size="1"><font color="blue">Dawes Audax 2006</font id="blue"></font id="size1"><font size="1"><font color="green"> New 20/09/2006</font id="green"><font color="red"> </font id="red"></font id="size1">
    <font color="blue">
    <font size="1"><font color="red"> Cycle Commuting since 1981 </font id="red"></font id="blue"></font id="size1">
    <font color="blue">
    <font size="1">Cycling Proficiency Test 24 May 1977</font id="blue"><font color="red"><font size="1"> (30 years ago)</font id="size1"></font id="red"></font id="size1">

<font size="1"><font color="red"> Ride to work part 1 of 8 http://tinyurl.com/ypjapc</font id="size1"></font id="red">
    <font color="red"><font size="1">Ride to work part 2 of 8 </font id="size1"></font id="red"><font size="1">http://tinyurl.com/2jfagu</font id="size1">
    <font color="red"><font size="1">Ride to work part 3 of 8</font id="red"></font id="size1"><font size="1"> http://tinyurl.com/2jcldv </font id="size1">

• thedoctor
    thedoctor Posts: 529
    I believe the Tour has been to Ireland, but it was a bit of a logistical nightmare involving chartering a whole load of ferries. There's also been proposals to start it in Quebec, New York, French Guyana (sp?). As other posters have said, it often goes to Belgium, Germany, Italy, Switzerland, Spain ie anywhere that borders France.

OK - I'll just have one more baby elephant...
  • el_presidente
    el_presidente Posts: 1,963
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by TheDoctor</i>

I believe the Tour has been to Ireland...

It's even been to the UK before, I have fond memories of drinking beer in the sun on Ditchling Beacon and next day watching the finish at Portsmouth
    <a>road</a>
  • Hackbike 6
    The ditching Beacon to them must be what the bow flyover is to me.

A mountain.[:P]

<font color="blue">
    <font color="blue">

• I was going to be watching the prologue with a friend but as we're driving round France following the Tour between the 14th and 29th it looks like he can't afford it. Maybe not be such bad news as I think it will be a bit of a nightmare getting the train to London on the 7th.
  • marinated
    marinated Posts: 20
    Every other year it starts in a country other than France.

• rgisme
    rgisme Posts: 1,598
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Ashaman</i>

I was going to be watching the prologue with a friend but as we're driving round France following the Tour between the 14th and 29th it looks like he can't afford it. Maybe not be such bad news as I think it will be a bit of a nightmare getting the train to London on the 7th.
    Not if you're already here it wont [^] Got to be some advantage to living here [8D]
  • el_presidente
    exactly, I am going to stroll down to HP with a cool box full of beers and mark my spot out early
    <a>road</a>
  • bobbyp
    bobbyp Posts: 275
    I was going to go to the prologue but I've got a wedding to go to that day. Not sure its a good start to a marriage if I'm watching the cycling when I should be taking my vows.

One of the best mans duties will be keeping an eye on the results for me.
  • thedoctor
    thedoctor Posts: 529
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by bobbyp</i>

I was going to go to the prologue but I've got a wedding to go to that day. Not sure its a good start to a marriage if I'm watching the cycling when I should be taking my vows.

Poor planning that![:D]
  • Ghost Donkey
    Ghost Donkey Posts: 914

wrong forum room....oops too late.

According to Ken Livingstone it cost œ1.5m to have the tour here this year. I'm not sure if that includes all the cost of organisation, extra police etc or if that's just the payment made to whoever organises the race. As a comparison he said it would have cost at least œ20m for a grand prix. I'd rather have the tour than the cars, and at a fraction of the price.

The race did come through the channel tunnel one year didn't it? THat must've been a riot for the riders.
  • el_presidente
    Maybe so GD, but I don't think they actually rode the bikes through the tunnel ;)
    <a>road</a>
  • Uncle Mort
    Uncle Mort Posts: 1,124
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by el_presidente</i>

Maybe so GD, but I don't think they actually rode the bikes through the tunnel ;)

Well there is a service tunnel that runs all the way up the middle between the train tunnels - but it wouldn't be very scenic and the helicopters would have all sorts of problems [;)]