Help - Bent hanger on MTB

Unknown
edited December 1969 in Workshop
Hi

With only 10 days to go until mountain mayhem at Eastnor castle I seem to have broken my Merlin Malt 1 MTB. Must have been a stick as I've not fallen off, but half way around my training route on the Malverns, the derailler started bashing against the spokes in the lowest 2 sprockets.

The cage definitely seems angled into the wheel. But the question is is it the derailler or the hanger?

Looking at the hanger it seems to also be slightly angled, but I had never looked at it before so don't know if it would have been dead straight before?

If it's the hanger, can I have a go at bending it back or is my best bet the lbs?

Any advice greatly received,cheers

Comments

• fuzzy29
    fuzzy29 Posts: 320
    <font face="Tahoma"></font id="Tahoma">My guess is it's the hanger as it should be vertical. If the mech was damaged, then all your gears would be out of line. As for bending the hanger back, it depends on what it is made of. If it's steel, then it shouldn't be a problem. If it's aluminium, I would check for cracks and perhaps take it to your LBS. Also, is it a replaceable hanger? If so, can you just get a new one if it badly damaged?

If you want to have a go, it's fairly easy to do yourself. Take the mech off and use a large adjustable spanner to grip the hanger and <u>carefully</u> bend it back. I would go to the LBS if you are not totally confident in what you are doing, it shouldn't cost too much.

<hr noshade size="1">If I had a baby elephant, I'd ask Banksy to paint it....
    <hr noshade size="1">If I had a baby elephant, I\'d ask Banksy to paint it....
  • Thanks v much - managed to bend it back and gears seem to be ok.
  • Pedlad, first thing tomorrow, give the folks at Merlin cycles a ring and buy a new hanger. You know it'll break halfway through your first lap.
    its an aluminium hanger so its not taken well to having been bent back, even if it looks alright. I know this from experience having broke a hanger about 6 miles away from home, that i had bent back.

I'll see you at Mayhem [:D]

Mleh Mleh Mleh
  • Good advice Steve, thanks. I've just ordered one along with some lighter fire xc pro tyres. I need all the help I can get! are you soloing or part of a team?