Me, my bike, south west France, July!

Hello everyone. I'm going to be in south western France for three weeks this July and I'd like some advice about rides. I will have my car so can get around. I'd like to take on a large climb or two in the Pyrenees. I've got the lonely planet guide for cycling in France, but it's a bit 'tour'-oriented for me. I prefer 3-5 hour rides which start and end in the same place because my wife doesn't drive so can't collect me. Any advice would be welcome. Naturally, I'm going to watch the Tour stages in the region.
Many thanks in adavance,

Dave

Comments

• sancho_panza
    sancho_panza Posts: 183
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by overweightandunderpaid</i>

Hello everyone. I'm going to be in south western France for three weeks this July and I'd like some advice about rides. I will have my car so can get around. I'd like to take on a large climb or two in the Pyrenees.

Dave
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Me too. Any knowledgeable people out there? My idea was to base myself in Bareges and take in some climbing and road cycling.

Any hints, tip, comments?

Weather has been bloody awful in Edinburgh for about five weeks now. I am fed up with it.
  • tombt
    tombt Posts: 121
    where exactly are u going to be?. SW France a bit vague

Ironic isn't it, that God gave the tortoise a drag factor of 0.03.
    Ironic isn\'t it, that God gave the tortoise a drag factor of 0.03.
  • We've got the car and tent, so anywhere really. We have to drop in and see my Wife's parents near Angouleme at some point though.
  • tombt
    Depends whether you want to drive south to the pyrenees or not, you could just head east into the massif central, there is lots of quiet roads to explore, plenty of medieval villages if sightseeing is important and if you want to bag a few big climbs you can do that too.

Puy de Dome, just south of Clermont Ferrand is a great if lumpy area for cyclists, an hour or so south and into the Cantal and climb plomb du Cantal.

You could decide where you are going and get in touch with local clubs, they are generally happy to have guests along on club runs, obviously local knowledge is best.

The worlds your oyster.

• tombt
    Sancho Panza

Bareges, let me think, hmmmm you could try the Tourmalet

• Jonathan Mcp
    Jonathan Mcp Posts: 2,472
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by overweightandunderpaid</i>

We've got the car and tent, so anywhere really. We have to drop in and see my Wife's parents near Angouleme at some point though.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Nice part of the world, not too busy, good quiet rolling countryside.

Buy the IGn 1:25000 map of the area and work out what sort of distance you want to do. A little bit further south and you get into the Dordogne region, gets busier, but still some nice rolling countryside. think Le Tour in the first week before the mountains.....

<font size="1">It isn't growing up that stops us playing, it is stopping playing that makes us grow up.

Go and see my bikes</font id="size1">
  • philip99a
    philip99a Posts: 2,272
    http://www.bikely.com/listpaths/country/82/region/1807

http://www.bikely.com/listpaths/country/82/region/1793

http://www.bikely.com/listpaths/country/82/region/1805

Any use? Site gives distance, elevation profile. Area round Angouleme itself seems less than interesting if you want more than rolling/flat.

Campag Super Nova; faster than a cannon ball
    Cycling - the most fun you can have sitting down.
  • peter_andrew
    peter_andrew Posts: 373
    Pau.....From there you can do the Aubisque and Soulour.
    Lourdes..Tourmalet and Aspin
    Also the etape started from Pau a couple of years ago you could get that route and follow it for as long as you like.
    Or a little more radical a wife that can drive>>>>>>>>>>

Peter
  • Try the ariege department in the Pyrenees.
    Loads of great routes and climbs for most abilities.
    Look around the St Girons region. This area is pretty quiet but very popular with French (and other) cyclists so you will see plenty of other folk out on the roads. It's perfect for the sort of ride you are looking for.

[url][/url]www.ariege.com/aubergedelarac/info.html