Bar Tape

Tetedelacourse
Tetedelacourse Posts: 945
edited June 2007 in Workshop
Is there a right way or wrong way to apply this?

Do I need to remove the brakes or can I just tape around them?

Does it matter which way I spiral it?

The bike already has tape on it and it's solid, but old and uncomfortable. Do I really need to remove it or can I just tape over it?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hey little thing let me light ya candle cos a momma I'm sure hard to hannana, yesaran
Will it be treats with Pocket and Sweets? Is that where we should go?

Comments

• giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    Try this Tete:

http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=71

SIZE IS EVERYTHING! or at least that's what my LBS tells me.
  • cheers big yin

O Lord it's hard to be humble, when you're perfect in every way.
    I can't wait to look in the mirror, I get better looking each day.
    To know me is to love me, I must be a hell of a man.
    O Lord it's hard to be humble, but I'm doing the best that I can.
  • Ste_S
    Ste_S Posts: 1,173
    Don't expect to get it right on your first go. My first couple of attempts were "functional", quite happy with my third go.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I did mine a couple of weeks ago for the first time, I bought two rolls just is case it went all wrong, but didn't need too it went on fine, now if I can do it so can you

Non Omnis Moriar
  • winkywonky
    winkywonky Posts: 228
    I always find the hardest bit the 'tucking in' of the tape and the ends, haven't got the knack of that yet.
    But the last one I did the tape was a lot shorter than my last one, which has worked out better for getting lights, etc on.
  • Aidocp
    Aidocp Posts: 868
    I'm new to bar tape with all my previous/ other bikes having had flat bars. The lbs only put it on the drops and about quarter of the way past the STI's on the flat, to keep the logos on the bar showing, is that right?

If I had a baby elephant, who would take it for walks?
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    I've never done it must admit, one of those tasks i keep putting off or asking my LBS to do. Sad I know.

SIZE IS EVERYTHING! or at least that's what my LBS tells me.
  • rrsodl
    rrsodl Posts: 486
  • Norvcp
    Norvcp Posts: 1,485
    That vid is spot on.

"Prejudice burns brighter when it's all we have to burn"

"Prejudice burns brighter when it\'s all we have to burn"
  • McBain_v1
    McBain_v1 Posts: 5,237
    That is a quality video <b>RR</b> - nice find [:D]

I wouldn't have got that bit about slicing off a section at an oblique angle to avoid the need to tuck bits in the bar end etc. Mind you, it did look as though he was well practiced at bar wrapping. I knew the bit about cutting a section to go around the brake mounts to avoid having to do a figure-of-eight to get sufficient coverage.

Can anyone do the advanced bar tape wrap where you have two contrasting colours interwoven so you end up with a checkerboard pattern [?]

<font size="1">
    What do I ride? Now that's an <b><font color="black">Enigma</b></font id="black"> </font id="size1">

What do I ride? Now that's an Enigma!
  • Quite neat in the lesson - but once in practice a lot smarter if start in the middle! Avoids nasty sticky tape and makes it easier just to undo part if swopping/moving levers!

d.j.
    "The Angels have my 'phone box."
    "Better than The Angels have got your Harley."
  • Cyclo2000
    Cyclo2000 Posts: 1,923
    I just fitted mine with Deda tape last night. This has Deda embossed in it. Although the tapes perfectly fitted, well sort of, the word "Deda" is in different places one side of the bars to the other and I just know this is gonna drive me wild. I will end up trying to redo it and in the process ruin the new tape.

I refer you gentlemen back several monthys to my positted "Wilson's Law"
    viz : any job involving a bicycle, no matter how small or easily accomplished, will expand to fill all available time for the forseeable future.

Usquequaque in Ventus
    Just once I would like to be called "Sir", without someone adding "You're making a scene".
    Usquequaque in Ventus
    Just once I would like to be called "Sir", without someone adding "You\'re making a scene".
  • Keith Rapley
    Keith Rapley Posts: 150
    For what it's worth I wouldnt't cut the end as you start as shown on video. The plugs will keep falling out !! Leave a small amount overhanging, push it in with your finger and put end cap in.
  • winkywonky
    winkywonky Posts: 228
    I find the worst bit removing the old tape, anybody got any cleaning tips to get those stubborn bits off?
  • rustychisel
    rustychisel Posts: 3,444
    Don't worry about too much winky, but if you must then methylated spirit does a good job.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    I'm only escaping to here because the office is having a conniption
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    I\'m only escaping to here because the office is having a conniption
  • Cyclo2000
    Cyclo2000 Posts: 1,923
    you can buy acetone at the chemists. Does a great job an' gee's ye a wee dunt too!

Usquequaque in Ventus
    Just once I would like to be called "Sir", without someone adding "You're making a scene".
    Usquequaque in Ventus
    Just once I would like to be called "Sir", without someone adding "You\'re making a scene".
  • rrsodl
    Does it work taping over the old tape?

Rick
  • roshi chris
    roshi chris Posts: 455
    Putting on bar tape is probably my favorite bike-maintenance related task! Sad arn't I..

I want to get some of that Brooks leather bar tape, it really is the shiznit.

"Not everyone understands house music. Its a spiritual thing; a body thing; a soul thing." Eddie Amador

"Not everyone understands house music. Its a spiritual thing; a body thing; a soul thing." Eddie Amador
  • Well I followed Giant Man's step by step instructions last night - for the first 2 steps and then thought to hang wi this I'll wap it on as I think it should go on. It's fine but agree tucking the bar ends and stops in is the hardest bit. In the end I took a hammer to them. Not totally straightforward but not THAT tricky either. I suppose time will tell as to whether I've done any good or not.

Rick my plan was to apply over the old tape, which was solid but just old and thin. But then that tape had stoppers in it too and taking them out to put the new ones in means the old stuff begins to unravel anyway, so i took it off.

• rrsodl
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Tetedelacourse</i>

Well I followed Giant Man's step by step instructions last night - for the first 2 steps and then thought to hang wi this I'll wap it on as I think it should go on. It's fine but agree tucking the bar ends and stops in is the hardest bit. In the end I took a hammer to them. Not totally straightforward but not THAT tricky either. I suppose time will tell as to whether I've done any good or not.

Rick my plan was to apply over the old tape, which was solid but just old and thin. But then that tape had stoppers in it too and taking them out to put the new ones in means the old stuff begins to unravel anyway, so i took it off.

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Thanks for the comment.

I'll get round to do this job soon and I will see if I can get away with leaving the old one there. It's not had much use but it's the kind of tape that was used in the early 90's [:D]

Rick