There are too many cyclists!

domtyler
domtyler Posts: 2,648
edited June 2007 in Commuting chat
I have been trying to make my commutes easy rides this week. Have I managed it? Have I f**k! I have only managed to get to the bottom of my road so far when in the distance I see another roadie and that ridiculous urge to chase them down is just too damn strong to fight.

Oh why am I so weak? [:D][:D]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Porridge not Petrol
________
Zoroastrianism Advice
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Porridge not Petrol

Comments

• Cab
    Cab Posts: 770
    I don't get the whole chasing thing. If someone goes past me, and they're faster than me, then I might keep up for a while 'cos its convenient, but I don't feel an urge to chase.

I want to go my speed, which is fast-ish but not lightning quick. I rather dislike it when someone starts racing me; whats the point?

<i>Free baby elephants for every citizen</i>
    Vote Arch for Prime Minister
  • domtyler
    edited March 2011
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Cab</i>
    I don't get the whole chasing thing. If someone goes past me, and they're faster than me, then I might keep up for a while 'cos its convenient, but I don't feel an urge to chase.

I want to go my speed, which is fast-ish but not lightning quick. I rather dislike it when someone starts racing me; <b>whats the point?</b>

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Exactly, there IS no point. As you have noted it is simply an urge to race, I am helpless to fight it even though every morning I leave the house thinking "Right, today I am going to have a nice gentle relaxing ride to work". I then see another roadie and something clicks inside and I am off and get to work 20 minutes later panting like a beast and drenched with sweat!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Porridge not Petrol
    ________
    FREE XXX MOVIE
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Porridge not Petrol
  • cupofteacp
    cupofteacp Posts: 578
    Oh and the satisfation when you drop a roadie is just sooooo good

Naughty but nice

15 * 2 * 5
    * 46 = Happiness
    15 * 2 * 5
    * 46 = Happiness
  • Cab
    Cab Posts: 770
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by domtyler</i>
    Exactly, there IS no point.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Oh, fair enough. Maybe its why I never wanted to get in to racing.

• mazcp
    mazcp Posts: 953
    Thankfully, all the roadies I meet are going in the opposite direction.
    Huh! Wusses...;)
  • ChrisLS
    ChrisLS Posts: 2,749
    ...dom, I know exactly what you mean, I also suffer from your problem...mostly in the morning, as I take a much queiter off road route home...
    ...all the way...'til the wheels fall off and burn...
  • lateralus
    lateralus Posts: 309
    me too. getting over a cold, decided on a few easy days. It lasted about a mile on Monday morning before I gave in to the inevitable...
  • Roastie
    Roastie Posts: 1,968
    If ever I see another cyclist I too cannot resist the urge to chase - but then I'm pretty much that way all the time - in a car, on running, walking along the corridors in the office behind to catch up with a leggy blonde in heels, ...
  • Vikcp
    Vikcp Posts: 10
    I think going to a road race cures this. You get so thoroughly smashed trying to hang on, the urge to race commuters simply goes away, ie. you come to the conclusion there's a time and a place for racing.
  • domtyler
    edited February 2011
    Hasn't worked for me Vik. If anything it's made it worse.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Porridge not Petrol
    ________
    CRIME INSURANCE ADVICE
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Porridge not Petrol
  • DavidTQ
    DavidTQ Posts: 943
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Vik</i>

I think going to a road race cures this. You get so thoroughly smashed trying to hang on, the urge to race commuters simply goes away, ie. you come to the conclusion there's a time and a place for racing.

I could well imagine this, certainly with cars I lost all my youthfull boy racer tendancies on the road as soon as I got into real motorsport.

However Im wayyy to lazy to get into a proper cycle race with all the serious fitness types. Happy enough with the boost of speed given to my commute with a live hare to chase.
  • palinurus
    palinurus Posts: 836
    Luckily I hardly ever see another cyclist on my route, so if I want a nice gentle ride then four times out of five I'll be OK.
  • dsoutar
    dsoutar Posts: 1,746
    As someone on this forum so pointedly observed:

One cyclist = commuter
    Two cyclists = race

"Get a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live." ~ Mark Twain, "Taming the Bicycle"
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by dsoutar</i>

One cyclist = commuter
    Two cyclists = race

How true! There's nothing wrong with a friendly morning TdC.
  • Chirg
    Chirg Posts: 141
    Had an accident on the way to work yesterday and hurt both my pride (it was my fault) and my frame. Needed to get the bike home last night as I can not leave it at work and it was just about rideable but frame felt/sounded like it was going to split. Still found it really difficult to cycle slowly and kept on finding myself speeding up every time I could see another bike until common sense prevailed. Domtyler, there is no hope for some of us.
  • el_presidente
    el_presidente Posts: 1,963
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Roastie</i>

If ever I see another cyclist I too cannot resist the urge to chase - but then I'm pretty much that way all the time - in a car, on running, walking along the corridors in the office behind to catch up with a leggy blonde in heels, ...

yes sadly I can't do that any more since the injunction
    <a>road</a>
  • Asterixcp
    Asterixcp Posts: 6,251
    There are loads of cyclists in York but I don't believe any of 'em race or at least, no-one has overtaken me recently anyway.. I don't race - I only have tourers and audax bikes, so I can't.

Pour vivre heureux, vivons le v‚lo..
    Pour vivre heureux, vivons le v‚lo..
  • lateralus
    lateralus Posts: 309
    Asterix, it's not about the bike. I commute on a mtb with slicks but it doesn't stop me trying (and often failing) to race roadies, recumbents, mopeds, buses....
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by domtyler</i>

I have been trying to make my commutes easy rides this week. Have I managed it? Have I f**k! I have only managed to get to the bottom of my road so far when in the distance I see another roadie and that ridiculous urge to chase them down is just too damn strong to fight.

Oh why am I so weak? [:D][:D]
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Porridge not Petrol

You are not alone. It's either that or before you know it the ride in has become a time trial and you are out to beat your pb. Got my 2nd best ever time in yesterday !

My e bay bargain œ 31.05
    http://tinyurl.com/366awv

My commuting bike
    http://tinyurl.com/366awv
  • Go as fast as you want to on every occassion, be it a merry stroll or be it a pursuit of an unsuspecting fellow commuter. Do not feel anguish either way.

My justification system - if I catch anyone then I am a supreme athlete who sadly fell foul of circumstance and mitigating factors and hence didn't make it as a pro. If I am overtaken then my overtakers have a much shorter and easier distance to travel and have much much better equipment and probably none of the concerns / responsibilities I have.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    O Lord it's hard to be humble, when you're perfect in every way.
    I can't wait to look in the mirror, I get better looking each day.
    To know me is to love me, I must be a hell of a man.
    O Lord it's hard to be humble, but I'm doing the best that I can.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Will it be treats with Pocket and Sweets? Is that where we should go?
  • Archcp
    Archcp Posts: 8,987
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by dsoutar</i>

One cyclist = commuter
    Two cyclists = race

"Get a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live." ~ Mark Twain, "Taming the Bicycle"

And three or more ducks = pages and pages of discussion over in Cakestop...

If I had a baby elephant, it could help me clean the car. If I had a car.
    If I had a baby elephant, it could help me clean the car. If I had a car.
  • The only time I've been passed (since last September, when I got my first bike) was the other weekend when I was within the last mile of home after a blast uphill. Guy went past me and all I could do was say "nice bike" (because it was a nice bike) and let him go. I had the legs left to catch him, but not catch him <i>and</i> get home comfortably.

Hmm?
  • peejay78
    peejay78 Posts: 3,378
    the hot weather has made me ride much slower so as not to end up sweating like a dyslexic on blockbusters.

until this morning, when a chap on a brompton and wearing funny odd orange lycra pedalling furiously, being a bit of a flat-track bully with the regular joe cyclists on their barracudas, needed to be shown that people can go faster than 16mph with comparative ease.

winter: http://tinyurl.com/2xkbbs
    summer: http://tinyurl.com/2hsagv
  • sylvanus
    sylvanus Posts: 1,125
    I find this a real problem too and I race fairly regularly. The solution I've found is that on real recovery rides I'm often so pooped after the night before that a natural bell goes off telling me to slow down. I've found it all to easy to overtrain as I get older and family / work intrude.

The discipline to go slow, relax and really enjoy the ride is a vital state of mind. I find that if I'm enjoying and appreciating the pretty girls that are out then I'm going slow enough / enjoying things.
  • domtyler
    edited February 2011
    I did much better last night ans this morning. But then again no-one tried to overtake me. Unfortunately my new GP4000S tyres have just arrived so tomorrow may see a return of the beast!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Porridge not Petrol
    ________
    The Big Bang Theory Dicussion
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Porridge not Petrol
  • Origamist
    Origamist Posts: 807
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by peejay78</i>

the hot weather has made me ride much slower so as not to end up sweating like a dyslexic on blockbusters.

until this morning, when a chap on a brompton and wearing funny odd orange lycra pedalling furiously, being a bit of a flat-track bully with the regular joe cyclists on their barracudas, needed to be shown that people can go faster than 16mph with comparative ease.

winter: http://tinyurl.com/2xkbbs
    summer: http://tinyurl.com/2hsagv

Whenever a Brompton rider needs slapping down (particularly one who has the chutzpah to don garish lycra), Peejay's your man.

I daren't imagine how you'd respond if a Strida stick folder took you at the lights.

Folders
  • I, too, suffer from Domtyler Syndrome....love it.
  • pauluscp
    pauluscp Posts: 2,530
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by cupoftea</i>

Oh and the satisfation when you drop a roadie is just sooooo good

Naughty but nice

15 * 2 * 5
    * 46 = Happiness

I can take it that you have never met a real roadie then?

So many roads, so little time!!!
    So many roads, so little time!!!
  • domtyler
    edited February 2011
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Nigel Bennett</i>
    I, too, suffer from Domtyler Syndrome....love it.

Excellent, I now have my own syndrome named after me that people can look up on Wikipedia [:D][:D][:D]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Porridge not Petrol
    ________
    Breakup advice forums
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Porridge not Petrol
  • DavidTQ
    DavidTQ Posts: 943
    I will also admit to suffering from Domtyler syndrome and love it [:D] great way to quicken the commute.