Starting TT's, Aero bars?

Shavedlegs
Shavedlegs Posts: 310
edited June 2007 in Workshop
Hi All,
I'm going to start doing some TT's this year. I can get round 3laps of Richmond Park in 49 mins that is 20 miles at approx 24mph.

My current set up is a standard road bike, Zonda wheels. I was thinking of getting a pair of Vuelta Carbon 50mm wheels but that is breaking the bank. Would a pair of budget clip on aero bars (œ30-œ50)make much difference to my time?

Cheers all.

www.blog.shavedlegs.co.uk

Comments

• jsmithfym
    jsmithfym Posts: 296
    Yes should do
  • andyBcp
    andyBcp Posts: 1,726
    Get the aero bars, and do a few TT's on yoour bike as it is, before comitting to d/s wheels etc.
    If you catch the bug, the 2 most important things to consider will be a TT specific frameset and wheels, so choose carefully.

http://www.teamvelosportif.co.uk
  • hot rod
    hot rod Posts: 412
    aero bars/position
    aero helmet
    then when you get into it go for a tt specific bike.but i wouldn't worry too much about aero wheels unless your average is over 27mph,unless you like the bling factor [:D]
  • alan_sherman
    alan_sherman Posts: 1,157
    3 laps of RP at that speed - you should just enter a TT now as you should do pretty well!

Cyclist, public transport passenger, pedestrian, driver, motorcyclist.
    I get on OK with myself, so why can't we all get on with each other?
  • I started on a bike I used for both road racing and time-trialling. Did a few events and found I was enjoying the TT's more. Got a clip on bar first - your position makes more difference than all the aero gear. Then gradually got equipment and clothing etc as I acheived targets - found it was fun that way. Then after two years of that I decided to buy a second hand tt bike. So I would recommend aero bar first and then other stuff if you get into it.

keep it rubber side down.....
    www.nottinghamclarion.co.uk
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • peteracp
    peteracp Posts: 110
    I've done a hilly 10 mile in 24 minutes on my winter bike with no aero bars, aero helmet or special gubbins - make sure the engine fits the chassis.

Peter
    Peter
  • Shavedlegs
    Shavedlegs Posts: 310
    Thanks for the useful advice. Shame as I really liked the look of those wheels.

I'll get the œ30 clip on bars and give the Kingston Wheelers club 10 mile TT ago.

It sounds like a nice club as well, hopefully I could make some friends too.

www.blog.shavedlegs.co.uk