budget of œ250- œ400

Dscotland
Dscotland Posts: 34
edited June 2007 in Road beginners
hi , id appreciate any pointers towards a bike in the œ250 -œ400 price range, i don`t want a second hand bike and i don`t want to go above my budget,
i`ve had a look through previous topics and "if you can just find a bit more " keeps croping up, i really do have to stick to this budget,
any advice would be much appreciated

thank you
derek

dlamb
dlamb

Comments

• Dscotland
    It would have helped if id said it was a road bike i was after
    thanks
    derek

dlamb
    dlamb
  • babyjebus
    babyjebus Posts: 93
    cyclestore.co.uk (never used it, have no idea if it's any good) has a new Spesh Allez (triple and double) at under œ400 for an 07, which is certainly a decent price for a popular bike. And lots of Giants right across your price range. Whatever weird bargain Decathlon have this month will also be mentioned soon- after the œ134 7.1 there's something at œ279 or so that's been spoken well of on this forum. I don't know if you're near a store- their website is pretty unclear about offers.
    wiggle.co.uk must have something, and check Edinburgh Bicycle Co-op too.
  • hayesdj
    hayesdj Posts: 28
    carrera valour from halfords.
  • Mister Paul
    Mister Paul Posts: 719
    Nothing like a bit of free advertising, eh?

• Dscotland
    i stay near wick in the highlands so getting to a decathlon store isn`t really an option so im probably going to have to buy on line anyway,
    i did see that Ribble were offering a ribble 7005 for œ399 (2006 model)

dlamb
    dlamb
  • Mister Paul
    Mister Paul Posts: 719
    Ooh! Lamborghini man has had his posts removed!

• DavidTQ
    DavidTQ Posts: 943
    Id recommend the giant SCR range www.winstanleysbikes.com have some really good offers on those, the scr 2 is a nice step up equipment wise from the scr 3 but comes in œ25 over budget, evil huh [:D]

I found the Giant SCR range to be a very comfortable position, and ride.
  • dinneenp
    dinneenp Posts: 5
    Have a look at http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/ebwPNLq ... ad%20bikes

They sell their own brand at very good prices
  • Dscotland
    thanks for your reply`s, im pretty keen to find a bike without a sloping frame saving a couple of grams wont help with my 18 stone frame lol

dlamb
    dlamb
  • Rich Hcp
    Rich Hcp Posts: 1,355
    That cylcle store is a great offer, I was going to buy mine from my LBS, but that is a massive saving on a great bike...

Richard

Best thing I ever bought for a bike?
    Padded shorts![:D]
    Richard

Giving it Large
  • pw1brown
    pw1brown Posts: 243
    If you can't try the bike out first, make sure your e-supplier has a good returns policy in case it doesn't fit.
  • andrewc3142
    andrewc3142 Posts: 906
    If you're in PAYE and your employer either does, or can be persuaded to do the Cycle Scheme, your budget goes up by quite a lot. A œ1,000 bike is then in reach, given you can also spread the cost, which provides many more options, and a very decent bike.
  • Have a look at Tredz. Currently doing great deals on 2006 model Giant SCR range

does anyone have an opinion
    on the ribble 7005 for œ399 (2006 model)

i`ve had a wee windfall and could now push to œ500,
    but only if it was black and didn`t have a sloping frame

dlamb
    dlamb
  • inchcape
    inchcape Posts: 38
    i purchased the giant scr3.0 last month from www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk and would recommend both the bike and store, they still have it on offer for œ350 but only in certain frame sizes.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    The Edinburgh bike coop do their own brand bike for œ400 which looks good

Mind you, I know absolutely FA so check out others' opinions [:D][:D]

My bike's knackered, but compared to its owner it's in good nick...

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • mh130
    mh130 Posts: 19
    I'm in a similar situation as Dscotland - looking for a first road bike on a limited budget. Is there a 'best' time of the year to buy? I don't know if the bike industry has a traditional sale season, but I'd be happy to wait a couple of months to buy if I thought I was going to get more bang for my limited buck

cheers

matt h
  • I think the sale season for bikes is September-October but my LBS seems to have previous years' bikes in most of the time and they always have a SALE sign in the window!
  • RufusA
    RufusA Posts: 500
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by mh130</i>

Is there a 'best' time of the year to buy? I don't know if the bike industry has a traditional sale season...<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

From what I gather, most of the big names announce new models in the late summer, with them being available in shops from late Autumn (going on January due to manufacturing/supply issues). As the new models come in, the old models get discounted to clear space.

As with most things, the popular sizes sell the quickest so the ones that will be reduced tend to be what's left behind i.e. XXL or SML!

For example when looking at Specialized Sirrus, the medium frame size is already sold out in most models, and there are only a few models available in Large!

So if you are an average size, buy now or wait for the new models, if you aren't then you might find some '06 models heavily reduced even now, or wait a couple of months for the '07 to come down in price.

YMMV - Rufus.
  • pw1brown
    pw1brown Posts: 243
    Trek 1000: horizontal top tube, black(ish) and œ500 RRP (you could hopefully get it for less or get some extras thrown in).
  • monkniccp
    monkniccp Posts: 1
    I've found my self in the same situation, a budget of œ400 and too many places to look. www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk have some offers on but you have to phone them in order to find out that the offers are no longer running despite them still advertising. I'm sure there are legal ramifications to that?! I ummed and arred over a discounted Scott 2006 model and that went when i decided to get it.

Does anyone have any experience with BH bikes? They are well known on the continent but seem to be an unknown entirety on these shores. Failing that i'll hold out for Discounted bikes at the end of the year. I'm 6' 1.5" so should be able to hold out longer than normal sized folk for the super bargain, that seems to be the best value for money at any rate.
  • Rich Hcp
    Rich Hcp Posts: 1,355
    I'm told the new models come out in July.

If you don't know what you want you are better going to your LBS for the service, if you know, then on line can save œœœ

Richard

Best thing I ever bought for a bike?
    Padded shorts![:D]
    Richard

Giving it Large
  • Dscotland
    Lots of info to follow up on maybe i should wait for the sale and just pinch my dads mercian until then

dlamb
    dlamb
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    If you want new I would go for ribble œ399 but personally I would go second hand as you get much more for your money, I bought both mine in pics below, from ebay and classifieds and just bought two for two of my mates.
    One was 753 custom frame with dura ace/105, œ350 the other œ250 105 g/s with ally frame, both immaculate.

Feel free to browse and donate:
    http://www.justgiving.com/davidbethanmills
    My winter and summer bike pics

http://oldwelshman.myphotoalbum.com
  • Dscotland
    im no expert but for some reason i liked the ribble, i do a fair bit of trading on ebay but i wouldn`t know what good deal would be because i don`t really have much idea about quality of components etc

dlamb
    dlamb
  • Dscotland
    Maybe there is someone out there in cycling land thats selling off a good bike with little use, or has one on offer on the Ebay ?
    im 6ft tall and my dads old mercian fits me and im sure its 58cm, i`ll double check

dlamb
    dlamb
  • Flycatcher
    Flycatcher Posts: 185
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by pw1brown</i>

Trek 1000: horizontal top tube, black(ish) and œ500 RRP (you could hopefully get it for less or get some extras thrown in).
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

œ425 at pedalon.co.uk. Free del. Just bought one to use in winter, takes full guards - bargain.

(\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(") If I could do a baby elephant I'd use that instead.