Shiny chain n cogs !

wherryman
wherryman Posts: 77
edited June 2007 in Road beginners
My lovely Bottecchia is looking a bit mucky around the chains and gears and I keep seeing these shiny fair weather weekend riders out and about.:-)
What is the best thing to clean it in situ with a dependable old toothbrush ? Does a bit of petrol do the trick or cause untold damage to other sensitive bits ?

Comments

• dakidcp
    dakidcp Posts: 744
    The guys at Downland Cycles who were running the course I went on actually said that in the absence of a sonic cleaner (who the hell has one of them anyway outside of a workshop??), that putting it in the dishwasher worked remarkably well (although obviously you'd need to make sure it was properly lubricated after). Of course, this would still mean taking it off, but it's certainly something to consider that doesn't necessitate expensive cleaning liquids [:)]

<hr noshade size="1">"Get a bicycle. You will not regret it, if you live."
    <i>Mark Twain</i>
    <hr noshade size="1">"Get a bicycle. You will not regret it, if you live."
    <i>Mark Twain</i>
  • gavintc
    gavintc Posts: 3,009
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by wherryman</i>

My lovely Bottecchia is looking a bit mucky around the chains and gears and I keep seeing these shiny fair weather weekend riders out and about.:-)
    What is the best thing to clean it in situ with a dependable old toothbrush ? Does a bit of petrol do the trick or cause untold damage to other sensitive bits ?
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

A once a week clean is all it takes to keep your oily bits in good order. I use one of these chain cleaner machines that I put Muc Off into. It cleans the chain in minutes. The cassette, I clean with a rag with an edge of the rag put in between each ring. About once a month, I remove the cassette and clean each piece. It need not take long and you have nice shiny chain n cogs. It will also last much longer if you clean it regularly.
  • father_jack
    father_jack Posts: 3,509
    Just use a rag, and a tootshbrush/gun barrel cleaner thing and wipe off the dirty oil/mud. No need for anything else really.

<font size="1">
    Giant OCR-1 2005 | 2 x Cateye HL EL-500 | Cateye HL-EL400 | 2x Cateye TL-1000 | Lizard Skin chainstay protector | Cateye micro wireless computer | Laseredge Bikelights | Electron 5W+10W </font id="size1">
    Say... That's a nice bike..
    Trax T700 with Lew Racing Pro VT-1 ;-)
  • Battery powered toothbrush's are really great I have found
  • domtyler
    domtyler Posts: 2,648
    edited February 2011
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by PINGPONG</i>
    Battery powered toothbrush's are really great I have found

Seconded, just keep your old brushes. They are also unbeatable 'round the taps!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Porridge not Petrol
    ________
    GIFT CARDS
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Porridge not Petrol
  • sloxam
    sloxam Posts: 861
    my missus would kill me if i put bike bits in the dishwasher

winning is everything
    the reason i breathe
    a mans best friend
    legend
    roubaix

couldn't think of a stupid elephant gag
    i hate hills (cos i'm fat)

www.justgiving.com/steven-loxam/
  • stevec205gti
    stevec205gti Posts: 366
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by sloxam</i>

Only if she caught you [;)]

Burning brake blocks - the smell of fear
    Has the head wind picked up or the tail wind dropped off???
  • 2191flint
    2191flint Posts: 803
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by stevec205gti</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by sloxam</i>

Only if she caught you [;)]

Burning brake blocks - the smell of fear

Which she would, cos she would have to show him how to operate the dishwasher tee hee[:D]

A turkey is just for Christmas, not for life.

Me and my bike- http://aolpictures.aol.co.uk/galleries/flintosaur9/
    Signature free - with immediate effect.

Me and my bike- http://aolpictures.aol.co.uk/galleries/flintosaur9/