when does a new bike need its first service

grazer
grazer Posts: 131
edited June 2007 in Road beginners
Hi

Got a new bike. Done about 200k's on her so far. Was wondering how long people wait til they take a new bike in for a service?? I would normally wait til the gear changing seems a bit loose. I was wondering if i should go sooner ...??

Cheers
Grazer

Comments

• monty_dogcp
    monty_dogcp Posts: 382
    It's not just about tweaking the gears, but also to retorque a few bolts, adjust and headsets, bearing and spokes etc - best done before things start to shake themselves loose. Many good LBS give bikes a good going-over as they don't trust factory assembly - but do you know that it wasn't the Saturday lads that checked your bike over?
  • DavidTQ
    DavidTQ Posts: 943
    I think the shops I hang around suggest 6 weeks, mine had probably done 350-400 miles when I took it in, seemed well overdue a good service, unfortunately I had to give it that after it came back from the lbs...
  • pbiggs
    pbiggs Posts: 9,232
    Apart from any alterations to the riding position, no adjustments should be needed at all if the bike was built properly. However, you might want to get it checked now if you're not confident or bothered to do that yourself. 200km is more than long enough for things to work loose if they were not properly fitted in the first place.

<i>~Pete</i>
    <i>~Pete</i>