Aero-Bars on a spec sirrus?

zummerzet_lou
zummerzet_lou Posts: 232
edited June 2007 in Road beginners
I may just be in La-la land, was was thinking about buying a cheapish pair of Aero-bars for my specialized Sirrus.

Firstly, not sure if I have enough handlebar space for them as gear indicators take up a lot of free space.

Secondly .. my reasoning is I'm during quite a lot more miles, and was thinking this will give me another position to ride in and hopefully ease some aches as well as being a little faster on the downhills/flat??

Anyone done this? Or am I bonkers? Don't want to spend out (œ35 from Wiggle) if it ain't gonna be suitable.

Cheers,

Lou

Zummerzet Lou

Cycle shorts have magic powers that make a big bum look HUGE!!
Zummerzet Lou

Cycle shorts have magic powers that make a big bum look HUGE!!

Comments

• tiny_pens
    tiny_pens Posts: 293
    I have tried this (with cheap bars like the ones you are looking at although not on a sirrus) and found it to be a little lacking. I found that due to the geometry of a hybrid bike, I needed to alter the adjustable stem to bring the bars close enough so that I could ride using aero bars (try sitting on your bike in its normal position and then try and balance your elbows on the handlebars if you don't believe me) which meant a slightly odd regular riding position.

That said on nice long flat roads where I didn't have to change gear much it was a nice comfortable position to ride in but its no good for traffic or frequent gear changes / braking zones.

My preferred compromise was bar ends inboard of the brakes to give an aero position and change of hand position.

I don't know what they are called but I've seen a couple of guys with some bar ends that drop downwards (like racing handlebars). I would guess they might be a good compromise, but I have never seen them sold in the shops anywhere.

HTH

Tiny Pens
  • domtyler
    domtyler Posts: 2,648
    Just sell the Sirrus and buy a road bike Lou, you will save yourself a lot of heart ache. I know the signs, you don't want to be on a hybrid any more than Paris Hilton wants to be in jail.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Porridge not Petrol
    ________
    California Dispensaries
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Porridge not Petrol