Glue on tyres

belgiangoth
belgiangoth Posts: 2,849
edited June 2007 in Road general
... the ones with a built-in tube and whatever. What the heck do you do if you get a puncture?

<font size="1">Birmingham Pushbikes;West Midlands yahooGroup;Birmingham CTC;Tuppin' fool rides a pushbike ; baby elephant
Chris Juden or Sheldon Brown? - there's only one way to find out, FIGHT!
</font id="size1">

Comments

• Take it off and put a new one on.
  • belgiangoth
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by andyp</i>

Take it off and put a new one on.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
    Glue requires at least 8 hours to set ... not one for the roads then!

<font size="1">Birmingham Pushbikes;West Midlands yahooGroup;Birmingham CTC;Tuppin' fool rides a pushbike ; baby elephant
    </font id="size1">
  • monty_dogcp
    monty_dogcp Posts: 382
    Tub glue is a contact adhesive - you put a coat on both the rim and the tub, let it dry before fitting the tyre in position. You can unpeel a flat tyre and replace it quite successfully with a pre-glued replacement and it should be good enough to get you home. Tufo tyre sealant is pretty effective against small punctures and Vittoria Pit Stop is a sealant/inflator all-in-one for emergencies - so no need to remove the tyre. You could also use double-sided tub tape, which is a lot, lot less messy, but some purists will argue it doesn't stick quite as well and you lose efficiency. It might be the case for trackies, but I've never had any problems with Tufo Extreme tape
  • jakob_s
    jakob_s Posts: 477
    I use Tufo Extreme tape and just carry an extra tubular tyre with me.

FGG #2384
  • pete.whelan
    pete.whelan Posts: 788
    Tape is fine for use on road going tubs. Track tends not to use it as the cornering forces are a little higher and can cause a tub to roll off.

Whatever, just make sure they are pumped up well to avoid any chance of a roll-off

Recipe: shave legs sparingly, rub in embrocation and drizzle with freshly squeezed baby oil.
    Recipe: shave legs sparingly, rub in embrocation and drizzle with freshly squeezed baby oil.
  • hubgearfreak
    hubgearfreak Posts: 480
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by belgiangoth</i>
    What the heck do you do if you get a puncture?
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

when i got a puncture on mine, i swapped to different wheels & tyres[:D]

after i phoned the mrs. for a lift home[:p]

it was a really bad sunday afternoon, beautiful weather, great pub with great beer, and an hour before she turned up[:D]
  • boly
    boly Posts: 71
    I'm with Jakob on this. With some tredidation, I used a tubular with double sided rim tape for the first time a couple of weeks ago. Mainly because I had a nice Mavic GP4 wheel and I wanted to try it. It was simple to fit the tyre and after a week, as an experiment I removed it and refitted it using the same rim tape and rode 10 miles. I found it easier than changing a tube/repairing a puncture. NB I've changed the rim tape since - just in case ..
  • Pete Beer
    Pete Beer Posts: 604
    How practical ate tubs for everyday use? I've been offerred free tub wheels in the past but have always run away screaming. Although I bumped into someone who has used them for years and wouldn't use anything else.
    Confused from Bristol
  • jakob_s
    jakob_s Posts: 477
    I started when I picked up a set of cheap trackwheels from ebay with GP4 rims.
    I think as long as you use quality tubs, the amount of trouble should be minimal, as they offer good puncture protection.

FGG #2384
  • mr_tricolore
    mr_tricolore Posts: 255
    Same as Jacob, got some lovely GP4s for my fixed Harry Quinn and would really hate going back to tyres. I commute on tubs and feel that the daily trip would feel a lot more like a drag on clinchers. Why? tubs roll better and seem to puncture less... which mean I go faster and save time so I can get more done. I did puncture twice on a commute some months ago, but that a freak occurance and I only had to walk a mile to get a new tub from the nearest bike shop.
    I normally repair my punctured tubs, unless they are really split, and that's strangly therapeutic too!

You only need one!
    FGG #2909
    You only need one!
    FGG #2909
  • Pete Beer
    Pete Beer Posts: 604
    Do you use glue or tape? It's the glueing and stitching that puts me off
  • bagpusscp
    bagpusscp Posts: 2,907
    I find tape cleaner to use . One problem I found with the glue was the false high it gave you .

bagpuss
    bagpuss
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Waay back in the day I used to use tubs all the time, but now clinchers are much better and cheaper. Never learnt how to repair tubs. I save them for racing now.
  • belgiangoth
    Tufo tyre sealant? Sounds similar to slime - does it work weel, does it fix your puncture but sceal your valve? How practical/easy is it to use?

</font id="size1">
  • southlaker
    southlaker Posts: 1,199
    It's dead easy to use, if you have removeable valve cores. I've used it for a few years now, never had a puncture stop since though I have noticed where the sealant has worked.
  • ashbyalien
    ashbyalien Posts: 609
    i also prefer the way tubs feel compared to tyres, they smooth out the road wonderfuly.

<font size="1"><font color="red">www.myspace.com/sfcv2</font id="red"></font id="size1">