Fitting drops to a pinch clamp stem...

richteacp
richteacp Posts: 1,137
edited June 2007 in Workshop
Am probably being a complete muppet, but I'm stuck.

Have fitted a Nitto pinch clamp stem to my fixed, with the intention of putting some old track bars back on - but how do I get the bars through the stem, there's not enough room! Have never had to do this before, am baffled... (yes, the bars are the right diameter etc ie not oversized).

Someone put me out of my misery, please. [xx(]

<font size="1">--
esta elefante del beb‚ me molesta</font id="size1">
<font size="1">--

Comments

• Cyclistm
    Cyclistm Posts: 758
    Care and patience and lots of swearing.
  • gkerr4
    gkerr4 Posts: 3,408
    if they are the right diameter bar then they should just thread through from one end of the drop bars until they are in the middle. Obviously you can't do this with bar tape / levers etc fitted, but they should just thread through.
  • Pirahna
    Pirahna Posts: 1,315
    What's the bet you'll put them on back to front the first time?
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Pirahna</i>

What's the bet you'll put them on back to front the first time?
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
    What sort of idiot would do that? [:I]

Nobody ever got laid because they were using Shimano
  • richteacp
    But, but, but... levers are off (obviously), tape is off... but the bars won't fit through from the point the drops begin to curve - do I need to force the clamp open somehow? Argh.

<font size="1">--
    <font size="1">--
  • You need to rotate them as you push the curve through. Sometimes a gentle prising of the clamp with a driver helps.

Nobody ever got laid because they were using Shimano
  • "do I need to force the clamp open somehow? Argh."

Cheating! But that is what I do if necessary. Any wedge-shaped implement - I use an engineering drift. Don't need to open the clamp up very much to make a big difference. And it saves scratching/scoring the bars. And swearing.

d.j.
    "The Angels have my 'phone box."
  • richteacp
    Hmm, OK, thanks chaps.

Maybe a bit of grease would work as well. I'll get my strength up over a few pints of Stella and try again later.

<font size="1">--
    <font size="1">--
  • monty_dogcp
    monty_dogcp Posts: 382
    Aah, the joys of fitting quill stems and scratching your precious new bars! As said, you may need to use a screwdriver blade wedged in the stem clamp to open it out slightly - but be careful that the end of blade doesn't scratch your bars. Some later designs of stem like 3TTT have a little grub screw to wedge open the clamp entirely for this purpose! Worth checking that the edge of stem clamp is free of burrs too - I file off the corner where the clamp eye and slot meet if not done so already as this is the bit that scratches the bars
  • Two sheds
    Two sheds Posts: 446
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Monty Dog Posted - 12/06/2007 : 13:00:32
    ... Some later designs of stem like 3TTT have a little grub screw to wedge open the clamp entirely for this purpose! ... <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

So that's what that grub screw is for! (Except that the screw is missing from my stem ... ah well[:(])

You learn something every day[:I]

Put a hump in your back
    Shake your sacroiliac
    And ride on
    Put a hump in your back
    Shake your sacroiliac
    And ride on
  • pbiggs
    pbiggs Posts: 9,232
    As well as prising the clamp open wider if you can (safely), put a dag of grease on the difficult parts of the bars.

<i>~Pete</i>
    <i>~Pete</i>