Have You Seen This!!!

dondare
dondare Posts: 2,113
edited June 2007 in Campaign
You don't have to gloat, but look where we are on the list. Compared to the speed camera petition, for instance.

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/list/open?sort=signers

Gloat gloat gloat gloat ........
This post contains traces of nuts.

Comments

• roshi chris
    roshi chris Posts: 455
    Just behind the petiton which reads -

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">We the Christian population of this great country England would like the proposed plan to build a Mega Mosque in East London Scrapped. This will only cause terrible violence and suffering and more money should go into the NHS.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I'm actually quite glad the Government ignores these petitions if this is the kind of bigoted nonsense people are going to suggest. Shame the sensible ones ie 'ours' is lost amongst this drivel.

"Not everyone understands house music. Its a spiritual thing; a body thing; a soul thing." Eddie Amador

"Not everyone understands house music. Its a spiritual thing; a body thing; a soul thing." Eddie Amador
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    7500+ petitions.

I like the ice cream juggling one - makes more sense than most of them.
  • dondare
    How about this one?

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/cyclelanes/

This sig is under construction.
  • Kourosism
    Kourosism Posts: 63
    I can't help but think what an utter waste of everyones time these petitions are. I'm certain that gov't got a better idea of peoples feelings when those that really cared could get off their backsides and protest outside Westminster, instead of being well outside shouting distance, and well behind a tramp with a megaphone. Now we have folk who never leave their computers signing up for anything and everything just because it seems like a pretty good idea, without putting any real thought into it.

It's worse than apathy. Instead we have people petitioning for ice cream juggling and any half serious statements get jumbled in with it.

If it matters, 'we' (As in the people, not just cyclists) should actually stand up and say so, not sign some poxy online petition which can be rejected even before it gets ignored. Physical presence means one hell of a lot more than electronic names on electronic paper.

Ahem.

Yes, I do get the irony of writing all this on a message board.
  • dondare
    Just sign the bloody thing. What's important is that more cyclists care about what's written in the Highway Code than motorists who care about speed cameras.

• As someone who's recently qualified as an Electrical Engineer I'm all in favour of the professional recognition for engineers one personally, however I'm fairly sure it's not on the list of most people's priorities and therefore probably doesn't deserve to be in the top 10. Things on this petition site are only there because of minority self interest and therefore probably don't deserve the public forum and exposure they get. I'm all in favour of professional recognition for me, but I don't think it's that important to the majority of people, yet it's there for all to see that it's one of the most signed petitions, so "it must be important right?"

The problem with these things, is it's government by mob rule & the lowest common denominator always wins because responding to these things is too quick and easy and people don't take time to inform themselves of all the consequences of the opinions they are voting on before they sign. We don't have a true democracy in this country (only Athens in the time of the ancient greeks have ever implemented that and they managed it by creating a definition of what constituted a citizen who was able to vote that was limited to circa 2000 people). Instead we have what in my opinion is a slightly better system, whereby we vote (theoretically) for people who we think are most likely to represent our views and interests for us and just as importantly make decisions which may be sensible and best for the country, but possibly unpopular at the time. In actual fact true democracy would be almost impossible to implement, absolute chaos in reality and more importantly could be manipulated by overwhelmingly daft public opinion that is later with the benefit of hindsight seen to be a bad idea (I wouldn't like to have had the population as one making decisions on the right of all muslims to worship straight after 7/7 for example).

These petitions give voice to the vocal indignant minority and don't allow us to concentrate on underlying issues that may lead to improvement in society but may not be obvious necessarily to the proverbial man on the street (In theory the whole point of our parlimentary system is to ensure that the man doesn't have to spend all his time worrying about the minute details of governance, he's voted his representative to do that for him so he can in the main get on with his life).

In short I beleive they are detrimental to parliment. Sureley lobbying an MP and subsequently voting them out if they don't come up with the goods is a far better way of getting your point through to the government because it's not kneejerk and you will at least be able to discuss issues with your MP before your possibly daft idea gets out into the public domain.
  • roshi chris
    roshi chris Posts: 455
    Someone's been reading their political theory havn't they..?!

I'd like to know what you consider 'true' democracy Steve, as there are lots of variations on the theme as far as i'm concerned, many quite contradictory.

And its hardly Government by mob rule, or tyranny of the majority or whatever you want to call it, as the Government retain the right to make policy completely contradictory to wishes expressed in these petitions, which is as it should be.

And I have to say that even though it irks me, even a blinkered bigoted idiot who has no idea of the issues in hand is still entitled to voice his opinion, and Parliament should still have to take it into consideration.

• dondare
    Now closed with 29662 sigs.

• Buggi
    Buggi Posts: 674
    i'm quite in favour of making St George's day a bank holiday!

To infinity... and beyond!
    my epic adventure: www.action.org.uk/~Antonia

To infinity... and beyond!
    my epic adventure: www.action.org.uk/~Antonia