Does Finsbury Park cc exist?

Dermotcp
Dermotcp Posts: 43
edited June 2007 in Pro race
I have just returned to North London after several years in France, and wanted to join a club as i do a bit of racing and time trialling...I have tried emailing this club on 5 occasions...when this failed, i thought i got lucky meeting a committe member on a sunday ride...he took my email and number, and assured me someone would get in touch....still nothing......I then tried to join Mosquito bikes cc, but they told me they have frozen membership as the club got too big???....what are these people afraid of?...that a club may actually prosper?....anyways...if anybody knows of any North london teams/clubs that actually are interested in recruiting then please email me....or even better...if anybody from Finsbury park reads this....give me a shout!!!!

dermot
dermot

Comments

• You'd have found a whole bunch of 'em if you'd ridden up the A1 at half-past sparrow's fart yesterday morning [:D]

http://www.cyclingtimetrials.org.uk/eve ... District=F

===========================================================================
    http://www.ccluton.com (It's a lifestyle!!)
  • Ste_S
    Ste_S Posts: 1,173
    I was about to recommend turning up at a club run and introducing yourself.

Strangely though their website doesn't mention anything about club runs, and the only contact listed is an email address, which I guess you've tried.

And the comic was wondering last week why club membership was in decline [;)]
  • Phil Scp
    Phil Scp Posts: 2,525
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Dermot</i>

I then tried to join Mosquito bikes cc, but they told me they have frozen membership as the club got too big???....what are these people afraid of?...that a club may actually prosper?<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I ride for Mosquito - the reason membership is frozen for now is that the shop gives out free kit, Giro Atmos helmets and other bits. Obviously they have to stick to a budget.
    Hope your quest is successful and you find something. Sounds like you're pretty handy.
  • BeaconRuth
    BeaconRuth Posts: 2,086
    The Finsbury Park CC are organising the Women's National 50 mile Championships this Sunday, 17th, on the A10 round Ware. The HQ is at Wodson Park Sports & Recreation Centre if you want to turn up and try to make contact with them. The racing should all be over soon after 9am so if you got there between 9am and 10am I'm sure you'd find most of the club there helping out.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Gavin Gilbert
    Gavin Gilbert Posts: 4,019
    I have mates in the Finsbury - I'll give them a nudgeto try and wake them for you. Alternativly, the Willesden will take anyone.

<hr noshade size="1">
    'Cause I'm a lover not a fighter
    Yes, I'm a lover not a fighter
    Yes, I'm a lover not a fighter
    And I'm really built for speed
    Built for speed
  • Phil Scp
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by KingstonWheeler</i>

Or ask Mosquito again nicely and suggest you're willing to buy some kit instead of expecting it for free?

www.kingstonwheelers.com
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Yes, we're not a bunch of gits but the team/club has really burgeoned this season which is a good thing. The bad thing is that our team kit comes from Portugal and was pre-ordered according to who was on the team and what they needed. I have no idea if we have kit left but it's worth asking as KWheeler suggests?
  • pader
    pader Posts: 152
    try islington cc
    check the guy with the c50 who has never cleaned it
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Ste_S</i>

.......the only contact listed is an email address, which I guess you've tried.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

There is a phone number for the race organiser on that link I posted above.
  • pauluscp
    pauluscp Posts: 2,530
    The Finsbury Park cc is alive and well. They meet at 10.00 each sunday morning at the Potters Bar cross roads, by the traffic lights. They have a club room at Southgate.

http://www.finsburyparkcc.org/home/

So many roads, so little time!!!
    So many roads, so little time!!!
  • Dermotcp
    Dermotcp Posts: 43
    they may be alive and well , but for the last two sundays at 10.00 am they havent been at Potters bar, because I have been there....incidentally, that is where i DID actually meet one of the committe guys several weeks ago who was going to contact me...but didnt......Im going to try flying a bi-plane over Finsbury park with my details on it....i know they are organising the womans 50 soon, but i wont be able to make it up there, so ...again...if any of you guys out there read this, give me a shout.....cheers!

dermot
    dermot
  • Ste_S
    Ste_S Posts: 1,173
    They're not listed on the BC website either !

Maybe try posting on the London Cycle Sport forum ?

http://www.londoncyclesport.com/default ... sp?sp=&v=6

or on Veloriders

http://www.veloriders.co.uk/phpBB2/index.php
  • Stwutter
    Stwutter Posts: 362
    Whilst looking for a club I got in contact with Finsbury Park (eventually - the link on their site isn't checked all that regularly by all accounts).

Never went out with them, but I think their are quite a few riders of decent standard at FP, and most of them will be competing or away at this time of year - that may explain why they're not always about 10am Sundays.

Knackered? Me?

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n11/ ... new005.jpg
    Knackered? Me?
  • herd
    herd Posts: 2
    I am also trying to track down FPCC. Have you had any luck?
  • herd
    herd Posts: 2
    Finsbury Park CC

41 The Sunny Road Enfield Middlesex EN3 5EF

Tel. 020 88054183

Secretary first name: Kevin
    Secretary Surname: Megan

Found this, don't know how recent it is. I will give Kevin a call tomorrow and let you know.
  • drhaddock
    drhaddock Posts: 664
    Bad time of year to join FPCC, most of the regulars will be racing not club running at this time of year, hence why the 10am Sunday run may be thin on the ground or indeed non-existant! Especially if they are organising a race or something.

I've been out with them quite a few times and really enjoyed it. Kevin is a top bloke, really friendly and full of good advice. My problem is Sundays are the only day of the week I get a lie in, so I struggle pathetically with making it to club runs. I would say a group of us just meet there on Sunday but I can't make either of the next two!

In the same sort of area there is Islington CC who (IIRC) ride out from the Halfway House on the A10, Southgate CC who meet in the centre of Enfield Town and Whitewebbs CC. Two Wheels Good in Crouch End do a sunday ride too I think.

Bit slack that they don't respond to email but this seems to be a thing common to a lot of clubs in all sorts of sports, especially those run by volunteers. Prob best to phone. Let me know what you find out, I might be tempted out of bed again!!

Doc
  • Toks
    Toks Posts: 1,143
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Dermot</i>

I have just returned to North London after several years in France, and wanted to join a club as i do a bit of racing and time trialling...I have tried emailing this club on 5 occasions...when this failed, i thought i got lucky meeting a committe member on a sunday ride...he took my email and number, and assured me someone would get in touch....still nothing......I then tried to join Mosquito bikes cc, but they told me they have frozen membership as the club got too big???....what are these people afraid of?...that a club may actually prosper?....anyways...if anybody knows of any North london teams/clubs that actually are interested in recruiting then please email me....or even better...if anybody from Finsbury park reads this....give me a shout!!!!

dermot
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Hey Dermot good to see you at the S.N. last night. Yeah as Phil. S pointed out you just missed out on Mosquito Bike which is a shame. As far as Islington CC is concerned - forget it. I have it on good authority that they're pretty much washed up.They struggle just to get a couple of members on the club run. Willesden CC is a good shout but their club runs a quite far away - Denton a few miles from Uxbridge. Another choice could possibly be Economic Energy...alternatively hang in there and we'll get you on board the Mosquito Team later in the year. There's two clubs that start their runs from Crouch End, Two Wheels Two good and a Triathelete club who meet at the clock tower. Both start their runs at sunday at 9am i think. But i don't know if any of them race though.Take care [:D]

The Merckx Diaries with Slieve Maan's tasty 15% sections and 4km in length they'll be able to hear you breathing in Dublin City centre - believe me!
  • chigrr
    chigrr Posts: 7
    Does mosquito currently run a group ride?
  • Phil Scp
    No, we hook up when we can dependibng on various individuals' racing, work and family commitments. You'll often see one or more of us training in Regents park so feel free to say hi (if it's me you'll have to shout hi as I listen to an ipod when training solo)
  • terongi
    terongi Posts: 318
    what is the club I have seen meeting at 8.30 am Sunday at Tally Ho corner in Finchley?