Screw on hubs

GaryGkn
GaryGkn Posts: 1,199
edited June 2007 in Road general
Can Ssrew on hubs be machined to take a lock ring?

Comments

• drossall
    drossall Posts: 21
    I think most people use a bottom-bracket lock ring instead. I wouldn't try anything that might damage the thread.

Not sure how good BB rings are for that purpose - never tried it.
  • rustychisel
    rustychisel Posts: 3,444
    No, if you refer to road hubs for freewheel. One thread, continuous.

If you're asking WRT using it as fixed, then the answer is a qualified 'it works fine'.

Use a quality cog with good threads. Use a good hub with good intact threads (some brands of cog and hub don't go together too well and there have been thread stripping issues, but maybe I've been lucky). Source an old BB lockring and make sure you clean it up before using. I face both sides of it to smooth, removing any old burrs from the application of a screwdriver and hammer.

Lots of hubs don't give you much thread to work with after the cog is installed, I commonly find three or four only, so I have no idea how effective it really is, but I've never backed off a cog. Then again, I don't lock up the back wheel, skid or do anything stupidly aggressive like that (although I did try to the other day and it was dead easy, so there, you learn something every day).

Install on clean threads with grease (no need for fancy pants threadlocker IMO) and snug down. Go for a ride; ride some more. Install lockring, snug down. Go for a ride. Snug down lockring again. You're done.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    I'm only escaping to here because the office is having a conniption
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    I\'m only escaping to here because the office is having a conniption
  • Tom753
    Tom753 Posts: 737
    To answer the orig question, I doubt it but it would depend on the hub, assuming you're talking about a left handed lockring. I suppose in theory you could machine off part of the threads and recut a new thread to take the lockring if there was enough metal under the original threads.

<font color="black"><div align="right"><i><font size="1"><font face="Comic Sans MS"> My fixed bike </font id="Comic Sans MS"></font id="size1"></i></div id="right"></font id="black">
  • AndyGates
    AndyGates Posts: 8,467
    ...doable but I don't see why. You'd probably need to unbuild the wheel in order to machine it, and you may as well spend twenty-five quid on a new System EX hub with new bearings instead of the 20-year-old ones in the old hub.

Suggestion: blue threadlock and a bottom-bracket lockring tapped on nice and tight. Threadlock alone is good enough for light duty.

<font size="1">
    <b>No longer looking for a pennyfarthing as I've got some powerbocks instead. Casualty here I come!</b>
    It is by will alone I set my ride in motion.</font id="size1">
    Wanted: Penny farthing. Please PM me!
    Advice for kilted riders: top-tubes are cold.
  • GaryGkn
    Andy or anyone where can you buy single rear fixed hubs like the System Ex mentioned?

Thanks for all your answers it has clarified the issue for me.
  • Pete Beer
    Pete Beer Posts: 604
    Try http://www.hubjub.co.uk/index.htm He's very helpful. What width hub do you need?
  • GaryGkn
    William ay HubJub is very helpful i will drop him a line!

Cheers Pete.

Pete do you still have that bicycle program on DVD? Are you back from holiday?