Switching to Compact Chainset

Anonymous
Anonymous Posts: 79,667
edited June 2007 in Road beginners
I have a Campagnolo Xenon 39/52 chainset but am considering switching this this to a compact chainset (36/50 maybe) to make hills easier for my weedy legs. In order to make this swap do I also need a new front mechanism (or any other parts) or can I get away with the Xenon front mechanism I already have?

Also, I don't particularly want to upgrade at all so does anyone know where I can get a Xenon Compact chainset for a good price?

Any advice will be appreciated.

Cheers,

Gav.

Comments

• Gav - Campagnolo do a compact specific front mech but in my experience you'll be fine with your existing one. You'll probably need to lower it slightly and you should shorten the chain by a link or two but that should be it.
  • whiskywheels
    whiskywheels Posts: 628
    edited February 2012
    Don't do it! Get a triple!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    But wouldn't going to a triple be the most expensive solution as wouldn't I need a new brake/shifter?

Gav.
  • gavintc
    gavintc Posts: 3,009
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Gav_2000</i>

But wouldn't going to a triple be the most expensive solution as wouldn't I need a new brake/shifter?

Gav.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

...and front and rear derailleur.

Before you make the jump to compact, have a look at your cassette, you may be able to get the lower ratio by using a wider range cassette.
  • Gazza 2905
    Gazza 2905 Posts: 39
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by whiskywheels</i>

Don't do it! Get a triple!

www.whiskywheels.co.uk

He may be pulling your leg Gav! [;)]

Some people frown on triples. I don't - I ride one with pride.....but then I'm old, fat, useless & lazy! [:D]
  • fuzzy29
    fuzzy29 Posts: 320
    <font face="Tahoma"></font id="Tahoma">Have a look at the online shops for cheap Campag stuff. If you intent to keep your existing bottom bracket, then you will probably need a square taper chainset from last year. This should also make it a lot cheaper as they try to sell off old stock. This years models have the Ultra Torque setup with the hollow axel and external bearings. For this you will need to replace the bottom bracket as well and you will pay nearer the RRP.

<hr noshade size="1">If I had a baby elephant, I'd ask Banksy to paint it....
    <hr noshade size="1">If I had a baby elephant, I\'d ask Banksy to paint it....
  • cq20
    cq20 Posts: 207
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by gavintc</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Gav_2000</i>

Gav.

...and front and rear derailleur.

Not necessarily![:)]

I have just (today) replaced my compact double with a Campag triple. All I needed was a new bottom bracket (this depends on the seat tube diameter - see Campag site) and, of course, the new cranks. The front (Xenon) mech works perfectly (I had to move it up a bit to accommodate the 52 vs 50 tooth big chain ring), the Xenon lever works fine, the chain is unaltered and the short cage rear mech is fine (but I don't use small-small or big-big cog combinations). The changing is great (that drop from 50 to 34 on the compact took a long time to get adjusted) and the gear ratios are just what I wanted. I'll probably spend most of my time in the middle, 42, chain ring but I've already tried the granny gearing on the local 12% hill and it was very welcome.

I just wish I had changed to the triple sooner.
  • JWSurrey
    JWSurrey Posts: 1,173
    If you stick to finding a Xenon compact, then it still uses a solid axle (non ultra-torque) so should be an easier change.
    You'll probably need a bottom-bracket extractor tool too, though I've not looked at how the cranks are held on.

Of course, you could try other brands of chainsets.
    The standard chainrings are 50/34. 34 is the minimum you can use.
    I'm running a 29t rear cassette, however this requires the larger "medium" rear mech. on paper, and your fastest will be 13t if using the standard Campag (13-29).

Upshifting 34->50is a little slower than you may be used to, but I don't find it a problem. (It's actually much slicker on my Shimano compact (R-700) compared to my Veloce compact).

Give Condor a ring - I occasionally pop by the shop and they've had a few specials on older chainsets recently.