Canti brakes with Sti levers

Carpe Diem
Carpe Diem Posts: 238
edited December 1969 in Workshop
I love my Ultra Galaxy but the canti brakes have always been poor.

I replaced the squealing Avids with XTR canti's, these were a slight improvement, but not great.

I was about to have the Canti mounts surgically removed and deep deep drop calipers fitted, but Hewitts advised me to fit Campag Veloce Vee brakes.

These work without needing a travel agent thing.

They took 30 mins to fit and I didn't even have to change any cables, they were easy to setup and the braking performance is amazing.

They have really transformed the bike and now inspire confidence on a descent.

Well worth the œ40 quid if you are sick of your canti's

Comments

• pieinthesky
    pieinthesky Posts: 417
    Its a constant battle to stop my Avid Canti's squeeling. I would love to change them if something else was available.

What tyre clearence do you have? (how far from the canti pivot bolt to the straddle wire) I can then see if they fit my frame.

Thanks for your help, am off on holiday this afternoon so probably will not here from me again in this thread.
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Carpe Diem</i>

...Hewitts advised me to fit Campag Veloce Vee brakes.

These work without needing a travel agent thing.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">With drop bar STI levers? And mudguards?

Without needing the brake blocks excessively close to the rim, and without feeling squidgy?

If so, sounds like the answer to a longstanding need...
  • Agree that it's impossible to stop Avid cantis squealing. Where can you get Veloce 'V' brakes from ?

Regards
  • itchycp
    itchycp Posts: 12
    I've been thinking of doing this with my Audax bike. It's currently fitted with Tektro Oryx Cantis which need advance warning of several days if i want to stop.

The only place I've found them so far is here:-

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290127498729&indexURL=0&photoDisplayType=2#ebayphotohosting

They sell Mirage and Veloce mini-v brakes which they state work well with 'normal' levers. It's a german site with prices in US dollars. By the time you convert to stirling and change the postage region to Europe the prices seem reasonable.

Itchy
  • david2
    david2 Posts: 5,200
    I've got Suntour cantis with Shimano xtr cassette blocks, the levers at the other end are Ultegra. They never make a noise and I can stop quickly enough with them to go flying over the handlebars.
  • peterbr
    peterbr Posts: 2,076
    Shimano BR550 cantis are absolutely superb. I had the XTRs too before these - they were frankly ****e, I can't imagine how bad your avids must have been if these were an improvement! The difference is almost unbelievable - very nearly like a standard v-brake in overall power.

Travel agents are an option but don't seem to have too many fans around the WWW - you also can use any v-brake with them not just Veloce. Deore would work as well at half the price and have a better system for setting up the brake pads. I'm not confident Campag mini-v's will be any better than the tektro ones. The whole concept doesn't really seem to work and you don't get enough mudguard clearance either.

The real solution is for Shimano (probably) to make STIs for drops that pull the same cable as MTB brakes. There would certianly be a market for touring and cyclocross. You can buy such a lever from Tektro and it works well, sadly no STI.

<hr noshade size="1">
    Elephants and Ivory go together in perfect harmony. Oh Lord, why can't we?
    <hr noshade size="1">
    "Europe\'s nations should be guided towards a superstate without their people understanding what is happening. This can be accomplished by successive steps, each disguised as having an economic purpose, but which will eventually and irreversibly lead to federation"
    Jean Monnet, founding father of the EU.
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by peterbr</i>

...[levers] for drops that pull the same cable as MTB brakes. There would certianly be a market for touring and cyclocross. You can buy such a lever from Tektro and it works well...<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">You can?

You don't mean the Dia-Compe 287-V? (which works, but not <i>well</i>)
  • MartinCcp
    MartinCcp Posts: 100
    Carpe Diem I think several of us are really interested in this. Which brake levers do you use the Veloce Mini V's with? How do you adjust the brakes? Is the shoe adjustment critical and how often do they need adjusting?
  • Carpe Diem
    The levers I am using are 9 speed 105 (its a 2004 spec bike)

Fitting them was a doddle, I didn't need to change any cables or outers for that matter.

I am still using the existing mudguards and 32mm Shwalby Marathon tyres, so clearance is not an issue.

The pads have to be close to the rim for maximum bite, so your wheels need to be reasonably true.

Only had them on a week, so I dont know how often they will need adjusting? setting the pads initially though was very simple, they are sat on those ovalised type washers, so its easy to toe-in etc.

As I said earlier, they are far better than any canti's I have ever tried.

Other than an american site on e-bay, the only place I know of that stocks them is Hewitts in Leyland.
  • I have Tektro Oryx canti's on my Dawes and they certainly are pretty crap. I'll change over at some point, but in the short term I am using Kool Stop Salmon (I think this is for all-weather) pads rather than the Tektro ones, and they seem a lot better. I have also given them exaggerated toe-in, I don't know if it helps but overall this set up is giving pretty good braking on some pretty steep hills.

That's Mr. Universe to you
    Universe
  • peterbr
    peterbr Posts: 2,076
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by NickM</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by peterbr</i>

...[levers] for drops that pull the same cable as MTB brakes. There would certianly be a market for touring and cyclocross. You can buy such a lever from Tektro and it works well...<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">You can?

You don't mean the Dia-Compe 287-V? (which works, but not <i>well</i>)
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

That's what I was thinking about. Works fine with Deore v's and koolstops. They do have a bit of a "dead" feel though compared to a normal mtb set-up.

<hr noshade size="1">
    Elephants and Ivory go together in perfect harmony. Oh Lord, why can't we?
    <hr noshade size="1">
    "Europe\'s nations should be guided towards a superstate without their people understanding what is happening. This can be accomplished by successive steps, each disguised as having an economic purpose, but which will eventually and irreversibly lead to federation"
    Jean Monnet, founding father of the EU.
  • cannonfodder
    cannonfodder Posts: 183
    I've got a set of Tektro mini-Vs (running with Ergolevers) but I'm constantly having to adjust the spring tension to keep them level and off the rims. Does anyone know if this is a known issue and whether the Campag ones might be better?
  • MartinCcp
    MartinCcp Posts: 100
    Carpe Diem. Thanks for this. It seems like the basic problem that STI's/Ergos don't pull enough cable is still there - pads need to be very close to rims. Good to know that they work OK when set close though.
  • <font color="red">I like the Suntour XC cantilevers - much better than the old Deore DX ones that they replaced. I tried some mini-V's but found that they wouldn't work with 32c and guards - so maybe Campag is the answer!</font id="red">
  • Carpe Diem, what is the feel like on the levers ? Because the STIs don't really pull enough cable I have found the STI/vee brake combination to give a very spongy feel. Is this the case with your setup?

And another plea to Shimano...please can you make an STI that is compatible with vee brakes !

Regards
  • Carpe Diem
    The feel is good, no spongy feeling at all.

I usually brake from the hoods and its fine.

If you love your bike like I do, œ40 is not much of a gamble to pay out to get it right.

If you think there is not much improvement, I,m sure you can e-bay them?
  • Bagonabike
    Bagonabike Posts: 2,239
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Tony Universe</i>

I have Tektro Oryx canti's on my Dawes and they certainly are pretty crap. I'll change over at some point, but in the short term I am using Kool Stop Salmon (I think this is for all-weather) pads rather than the Tektro ones, and they seem a lot better.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
    Snap!

I am still thinking seriously about changing the brakes over after a few hairy moments this winter so might give the v brakes a go....
  • nmcgann
    nmcgann Posts: 1,780
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by cannonfodder</i>

I've got a set of Tektro mini-Vs (running with Ergolevers) but I'm constantly having to adjust the spring tension to keep them level and off the rims. Does anyone know if this is a known issue and whether the Campag ones might be better?
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Mini-V's suck. I have exactly the same problem - they won't stay centred for any length of time. The braking is rubbish too and the pad clearance has to be set very close.

Neil
    --
    "Because the cycling is pain. The cycling is soul crushing pain."
  • papercorn2000
    papercorn2000 Posts: 4,517
    Cane Creek make V-brake specific drop-bar levers , sadly they aren't STI compatible.

God told me to skin you alive.
    http://www.ekroadclub.co.uk/
    God told me to skin you alive.
    http://www.ekroadclub.co.uk/
  • RimTape
    RimTape Posts: 243
    There seems to be some confusion between Vs and Mini-Vs here.

The Campag ones and the Tektro ones are Mini-Vs and will work with STI levers (Shimano or Campag Ergo).

Normal Vs will require a travel agent unless you have the Dia Compe levers mentioned.

Mini Vs work better than Cantis as far as I am concerned without endless toeing in and squeal / judder issues.

The main disadvantage is clearance and adjustment. The clearance is not as great as cantis so presumably that is why cyclocrossers use cantis.

I dont find adjustment a big issue but releasing the brakes to remove the wheel can be tricky with Shimano levers. Campag levers have the quick release at the lever so it is not an issue.

If adjustment is a big issue you can put barrel adjusters inline in the cable. Personally I haven't bothered as they don't need much adjusting.

Cheers
    Velox
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by papercorn2000</i>

Cane Creek make V-brake specific drop-bar levers...<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">They do? A determined search of the Cane Creek web site has failed to find them. Are you sure you don't mean the Dia-Compe 287-V (which works OK if its cables are carefully routed, but not brilliantly)?

Strange Brakes are reported to work very well with STI levers [:)]

...but you try getting a set [V]