shoulder pain

pader
pader Posts: 152
edited June 2007 in Workshop
after riding 50+ miles, i get significant pain in my upper back, between my shoulder blades. I'm sure its due to the set up of the bike, but any suggestions where to tweak first ?

Comments

• onbike 1939
    onbike 1939 Posts: 708
    This may be due to you having to raise your head as a consequence of having too long a distance between the saddle and the bars. Do a rough check with your arm bent at right angles, by placing your elbow against the nose of the saddle. In this position, your outstretched fingers should be able to touch the bars.
    If this is the case then try moving the saddle forward and if this is not enough, buy a shorter bar stem.
  • nashcom
    nashcom Posts: 255
    I'd read that if you place your elbow against the nose of the saddle, the tips of your fingers should be the distance of one width of your fist away from the bars. I'm getting a bit of shoulder pain too, but I don't feel uncomfortable on the bike. If I place my left elbow against the saddle, the tips of my fingers reach to the handlebar stem. If I then place my right first at right-angles so that it's touching the fingers of my outstretched left hand, then the far side of my right fist touches the exact centre of my handlebars. Is that too much of a stretch, or is it about right?
  • ASC1951
    ASC1951 Posts: 992
    Saddles are different lengths and hands different widths, so I would go for something a bit more specific
    - but on my BikeFit-configured bike, my saddle nose is exactly elbow to fingertips plus four fingers' width away from the centre of the bars.

There are all sorts of other factors, like relative heights of saddle and bars, saddle tilt, fitness....
  • ut_o_cykla
    ut_o_cykla Posts: 58
    I would guess its your head/neck position (unless you are hunching your shoulders.) If you can try raising the stem so that you sit up more. Ride like this for a while and then if you want to get lower start lowering in small increments over a period of weeks/months. Also check that you're not straining to lift your head more than necessary to see under a helmet edge/sunglass frame.
    Hope it gets better soon.

pousse moi s'il vous plait
    pousse moi s\'il vous plait
  • pader
    pader Posts: 152
    thanks all, i'll try that out