Sora - sloppy left lever

Steve I
Steve I Posts: 428
edited June 2007 in Workshop
Any Sora users know if it's normal for the left lever to develop some freeplay before it starts to pull the brake cable because mine has after 1500 miles use. On bumpy descents it rattles annoyingly when I'm covering the brakes but not actually pulling them. I had a look at some Sora levers in Halfords today and they had a little bit of play, but nowhere near as much as mine, then again they were all new. The right lever on mine is fine with no slack at all.

Comments

• Old Nick
    Old Nick Posts: 77
    Sounds like a loose cable to me. Try undoing retaining cable bolt on brake caliper, pulling a bit of cable through with a brake partially 'on' and re-tightening. The spring in the brake caliper should keep everything nice and taut.
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    Mine rattled in the way you describe...because the cables were slack, as Old Nick suggests.

1500 miles should be enough for the cables to stretch slightly, which the shop would have adjusted for if you took it back for a service a month or so after you bought it.

The back brake cable runs along under your top tube ? Is it slack enough to pull it away from the tube ?
    You might need to tighten it as Old Nick suggests (look on Park Tools website for pictures if you're not sure), or you may be able to tighten it up using the adjuster barrel on the brake cable
    (- the locknut's not come undone and it's loosened itself, has it ?)

why is it sunny all week yet rains at weekends ?
  • Steve I
    Steve I Posts: 428
    Thanks for the suggestions chaps but it's not a loose cable or needing adjustment. The free play is in the lever itself.
  • gkerr4
    gkerr4 Posts: 3,408
    Hmm - I think you need to re-check.

the sora levers have no spring return in them and rely on the brake caliper to pull the lever back tight. I would suggest you see if the brake caliper is sticking and or one of the cable inners is either bent too tightly and / or corroded inside. Try lubing the cables etc - the caliper needs to return fully to it's original position or there will be a wobble in the lever.