Duffers is rubbish

2»

Comments

• <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"> I still maintain I'd do a better job because a) I would commentate on what is happening in the race<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

What's the point of that? If I'm watching, I can SEE what's going on in the race.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"> and b) I wouldn't obsess over patronising casual viewers. No other commentator I've heard spends as much time repeatedly explaining basic stuff as dear old Duffers.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Which is why no-one has brought cycling to more people than Duffers in this country - maybe the world. Not even close. See that Shanaze Reade? Duffers did that.

Now turn your granny to the wall and bow before him like the ungrateful cyclo-peasants you are! [:)]
  • graham56
    graham56 Posts: 634
    All very good posts, but i find Duffers entertaining, he`s really harmless, although there are times you could throttle him. I`m eagerly awaiting Ventoux and "the man with the hammer"[:D]

It`s a state of mind.
  • vermootencp
    vermootencp Posts: 1,298
    Much as I feel it's time for him to step aside for younger talent to come through... he was right about the fantastic camerawork in today's stage. Being such a lazy fck I probably wouldn't have noticed had he not mentioned it.

Amusing that he'd not heard of the btwin bikes that AG2R have been riding for > 1 year, made by / for Decathlon.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    <font size="1">"I'll do what I can to help y'all. But the game's out there, and it's play or get played. That simple."
    </font id="size1">
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    <font>"I\'ll do what I can to help y\'all. But the game\'s out there, and it\'s play or get played. That simple."
    </font>
  • pumpkincp
    pumpkincp Posts: 51
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Maggot</i>

He can be a bit bonkers, but tomorrow, turn the sound off and commentate for yourself, non-stop, all the way through the stage, and allow yourself only 1 or 2 mistakes. You can download race numbers I'm sure. Remember he gets the same pictures to work from as us. I think we can be too quick to criticise, he does an ok job. Think TMS and their obsession with fruit cake and Henrys obsession with red buses at Lords!

Also, if he is correct in his assertions today about all the new viewers, then thats good isn't it? Having stuff explained, like the commisaires car being red, may seem obvious and therefore annoying to us, but if this is your first time watching, well I think it's valid info.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/26011722@N00/

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Hate to be pedantic, but I think you'll find Henry's obsession really kicks in at the Oval, with the buses coming down the Harleyford Road. Apart from that, your comments are spot on.

There never has been - and probably never will be - a perfect commentator. Bill McLaren was head and shoulders above the rest at rugby, but far too often toppled over into self parody; Richie Benaud was the best cricket commentator of his generation, but many's the time I've been reduced to shouting at the screen when his analysis of a spinner's armoury leads him once again to praise the 'one that goes straight on'. Gads, Richie, I could bowl those all day, and, sadly, frequently have. Every commentator has the potential to irritate - the best are those who also have the capacity to entertain, and for me Duffield still falls into this camp.

I'd also say this: most F1 fans I know couldn't wait to see the back of Murray Walker; all RL fans I know considered Eddie Waring to be an out and out joke. Nevertheless I'd suggest that those two guys did more to attract people to their respective sports than anyone else, before or since.

Bumbling enthusiasm beats bland competence any day of the week.

Oh, and David S - Dougie is a god.
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by vermooten</i>

I tried watching it on cycling.tv but <b>the picture quality sucked balls</b>, even though the commentary's good. And if I could inflict a painful wound on DD every time he said "hold the bus", "taps the side of his nose" or "in English money" then the universe would be in a state of grace and balance.

But think of it positively - Duffield doing Dauphine Libere means that it's David Harmon and Sean Kelly doing the TdF.

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

If you are a premium subscriber then you would have the chance to watch at 1200 bps which is TV quality. On the free channel it was shown at 100 bps. You pay sky for Europort coverage on top of your TV licence....œ24.99 is peanuts for about 150 days of live racing. If your broadband can handle 800+ bps then you should not have any problems with picture quality. I have personally watched cycling.tv on a plazma tv and was impressed with the picture quality. Just a pity the commentary doesn't live up to this! [8D]

www.braveheartfund.com
  • jimmoffatt
    jimmoffatt Posts: 57
    <font face="Arial"></font id="Arial"><font size="3"></font id="size3"><font color="blue"></font id="blue">Sorry Duffers but it is time for the Werthers and Slippers and let somebody else have a go.
    Jim
  • david_scp
    david_scp Posts: 55
    Pumpkin,

I think we'll have to agree to disagree on Dougelly :-)

I can think of no-one else (apart from mentalist Duffers) whom I'd happily never listen to again, as the saying goes 'he rips ma knittin'.
    His strap-on helmet hairdo that he knicks from Colin Montgomerie, the complete lack of insight or humour and molecular thin knowledge of anything that he's commentating on just makes me want to slap him. Sorry but I'm right.

Anyway didn't see the coverage today so I can sleep easily without shouting 'shut up!' in the middle of the night again ;-)
  • pumpkincp
    pumpkincp Posts: 51
    David S - the more I think about it the more I think you just might have a point.

It still feels a bit like kicking your grand-dad's arse because he's a bit slow pushing your trolley round Tesco, though.
  • david_scp
    david_scp Posts: 55
    Pumpkin, true there is that slight bit of 'kicking a cripple' feeling to it, but I still can't get past it.

Anyway, its good fun bitching about it later.
  • chickenlegs
    chickenlegs Posts: 246
    Putting sentiment to one side I am genuinely concerned at the image that that this level of commentary portrays to the non cycling viewers. Ask yourself if you had just switched on the TV & had little or no knowledge of the sport would you in all honesty sit listening to that level of commentary no matter how good the racing??

Whilst there is no doubting his depth of knowledge, his inability to articulate clearly and succinctly spoils the experience for many viewers. On occasions some of the commentary becomes almost toe curling to listen to.

In his defence however it must be very difficult to speak almost continually for several hours. Some element of humour & general interest is essential & welcome, it is however the way it is conveyed. The commentary verges on an ongoing monologue in a rest home.
  • narbs
    narbs Posts: 593
    Watched stage 2 on tape last night and marvelled at his inability to pronounce the name of the race. A new team called Cassey Deppanney appeared at one stage and the final few k's (miles in English money as Duffers would no doubt add) of the race were ridden with Moreau at the front along with 'the Spanish chap'.

Fair play, it's great.
  • pauluscp
    pauluscp Posts: 2,530
    My favourite Dufferism is, Eyeballs out. He always comes out with that one on a fast decent.

So many roads, so little time!!!
    So many roads, so little time!!!
  • Duffers has hinted it may be his last season. I'll miss the daft old bugger, but will be glad not to see him trashed on the internet anymore.

(amazing, if you look past page one, you find a topic is already being discussed - who'd've thought it? [8D] )
  • Fat Head
    Fat Head Posts: 765
    Did you hear him attempting Szmid today? [kriss akabussi laugh]
  • they went up Montoux today

Too many threads about duffers

he aint worth it

george

2 Bikes
    http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/imjibi/Bikes