Garmin Edge 305 - advice

2»

Comments

• Simon Notley
    Simon Notley Posts: 1,263
    The cadence sensor seems to add about œ30 whether you buy it separately or as a bundle, so I'll probably leave it now. Was going to go for the œ165 deal for the heart rate only version on amazon, seems like a good deal, and from the UK so no hassle with importing etc.

---

If I had a baby elephant, I'd fit right in here.
  • MarkMcp
    MarkMcp Posts: 426
    Am I right in assuming bikeroutetoaster.com doesn't work with Macs ???
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Speck</i>

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... WLIST#LIST

œ195, ordered it Sunday, arrived Tuesday

I'll be 60 on July 4th, must be mad!
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Ordered mine off the same ebay store, glad to hear it's a good service.

My Best Bike
  • JWSurrey
    JWSurrey Posts: 1,173
    I find the cadence sensor very useful, especially on long rides / when I'm tired since you can set it to moan at you in the form of low/high audible threshold "bleeping".

I also lost my GPS signal on a wooded road on an overcast (8 oktas) day in the Surrey hills - I suspect this may have been interference from my Cateye flashing front LED. Fortunately I still had speed/cadence data, and only lost about 5 miles of route/track.

They can be a bit difficult to mount - I had problems with my carbon chainstay roadbike due to the narrow shape of the stay.
  • Mister Paul
    Mister Paul Posts: 719
    James Daley seems to be struggling to get to grips with his-

http://classified.independent.co.uk/car ... 643946.ece

• il_principe
    I've read elsewhere on this forum about people using memorymap and multimap software on their Edge's. Both websites are really hard to navigate, has anyone here bought this software and if so does it work properly?

My Best Bike
  • squiredcp
    squiredcp Posts: 964
    I build all my routes in memory map, then transfer them across to my Edge. Obviously there is the limitation of 100 waypoints, so I often have to cut a few out before sending across to the unit. I've also used some of the apps that build courses, but much prefer the waypoint option.

I use my Edge for navigation quite frequently. Its definitely not perfect, and I sometimes miss little turns when offroad, but at the same time it allows me to navigate routes that I'd struggle to do anywhere near as easily with a map.

Going forwards I am planning to buy a mapping GPS unit (current favourite is Satmap), but my Edge will still provide a useful role.

Regarding the question of speed I saw earlier, I believe that my 205 understates both speed and distance slightly.
  • mdg1157
    mdg1157 Posts: 222
    been using this site a lot recently,
    http://www.mapmyride.com/
    it has a new autorouting featurewhich makes crating routes much quicker, and you don't need to change the file like marengo does. import the course into training centre and edit in coursepoints and it will navigate your way on the road (you can work out junctions etc from the basemap)
  • bobbyp
    bobbyp Posts: 275
    How much recording time do you get on a 305? I cycle about 2 1/2 hours a day and don't fancy having to download every evening, would it do a week for me?
  • gkerr4
    gkerr4 Posts: 3,408
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by bobbyp</i>

How much recording time do you get on a 305? I cycle about 2 1/2 hours a day and don't fancy having to download every evening, would it do a week for me?

it'll easy last a week - I got min in feb and it hasn't started to overwrite anything yet - thats after 60hr riding and 780miles!
  • bobbyp
    bobbyp Posts: 275
    Excellent! Next pay packet buys me a present then. And all because I can't be bothered to fit the speed sensor for my S720.
  • il_principe
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by mdg1157</i>

been using this site a lot recently,
    http://www.mapmyride.com/
    it has a new autorouting featurewhich makes crating routes much quicker, and you don't need to change the file like marengo does. import the course into training centre and edit in coursepoints and it will navigate your way on the road (you can work out junctions etc from the basemap)

Just tried using this and find it a bit confusing... Whenever i draw a point it seems to follow the road and then draw a straight line back to my start point, does this everytime I add a new point - any ideas how to stop it doing this? I just want to draw a route that allows me to go out to Box Hill from Richmond park doing a loop at the bottom and then retracing my steps for the return leg.

My Best Bike
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    You could have mine for œ15 I have never used the cadence.
    Mail me if interested.
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Simon Notley</i>

The cadence sensor seems to add about œ30 whether you buy it separately or as a bundle, so I'll probably leave it now. Was going to go for the œ165 deal for the heart rate only version on amazon, seems like a good deal, and from the UK so no hassle with importing etc.

---

If I had a baby elephant, I'd fit right in here.

Feel free to browse and donate:
    http://www.justgiving.com/davidbethanmills
    My winter and summer bike pics

http://oldwelshman.myphotoalbum.com
  • If you like BikeRouteToaster, you should check out MapMyRide.com (http://www.mapmyride.com) -- not only does it offer Garmin integration with it's own import utilities (ie, no annoying gpx saves although the system supports gpx for non-garmin devices), but you can actually export planned routes back to devices the like Forerunner to get turn-by-turn directions! ie, plan your route on MapMyRide, then follow it using the Forerunner...

Some also cool things is the 'Auto Follow Road' feature, extensive elevation profiles (ascent, descent, max, min) and the topo maps.

Take a look and drop me a note using the Feedback link - I'd be curious to see what you all think!

-Kevin
    CoFounder, MapMyRide.com
    MapMyRide.com is a community web site for road cyclists and mountain bikers who want to stay healthy, lose weight or train more effectively. MapMyRide.com provides easy-to-use, comprehensive web-based cycling tools to measure distance and count calories from cycling. With road cycling and mountain biking forums, training logs and tips from cycling experts, MapMyRide.com is the site where cyclists are
  • mdg1157
    mdg1157 Posts: 222
    jashburnham
    you havent pushed the out and back button by mistake have you?or maybe the loop button so it keeps returning you to the start point

by the way, very nice looking bike!!
  • il_principe
    Think I've got the hang of mapmyride now, done a route from London down to Sussex where my parents live and planning to ride it in July with a friend - it loosely follows the etape route until Tenterden. My Garmin should be here tomorrow, but I'm worried that this route will be far too long to upload to the unit. I'm assuming I can use Motionbased or Training centre to add waypoints ie: turn right here etc?

My Best Bike
  • Mister Paul
    Mister Paul Posts: 719
    I did a 120 mile route on my 205 over the weekend. Is yours longer than that?

• il_principe
    My route is here it's 83 miles but I'm not sure how to waypoint the route yet...

My Best Bike
  • gkerr4
    don't waypoint it - do it as a course. There is a limit on trackpoints / waypoints, but not (well not really) a limit on course points.

bikeroutetoaster with it's autorouting is by far (imo) the best for creating courses as it puts points in near to the junctions so that the arrow on your screen clearly points to the way you should be going when you reach that actual junction (if you see what I mean)

The route to getting it to the edge is a bit of a fuss mind, you download the course from bikeroutetoaster as a .gpx file and then use a file convertor to change it to .crs and then upload using garmin training centre.

loads of good info on the use of route planners, .crs files and the edge in general from the motionbased forums which are here:
    http://forums.motionbased.com/smf/index.php

also - on the edge 305 section you can download a .gpx - .crs file convertor that one of the forum members has written.

hope this helps.
    graham
  • il_principe
    If only it were possible to upload ready made routes in to bikeroutetoaster though. I have several already created and need to coursepoint them...[:(!]

My Best Bike
  • gkerr4
    I'm sure someone will have done it - they have done allsorts on that forum!
  • MapMyRide.com lets you upload existing routes using either our direct to GPS import utility, or you can import GPX files.

Check it out:
    http://www.mapmyride.com

-Kevin
    MapMyRide.com is a community web site for road cyclists and mountain bikers who want to stay healthy, lose weight or train more effectively. MapMyRide.com provides easy-to-use, comprehensive web-based cycling tools to measure distance and count calories from cycling. With road cycling and mountain biking forums, training logs and tips from cycling experts, MapMyRide.com is the site where cyclists are
  • il_principe
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by MapMyRide.com</i>

MapMyRide.com lets you upload existing routes using either our direct to GPS import utility, or you can import GPX files.

Check it out:
    http://www.mapmyride.com

-Kevin

Kevin - I like map my ride but why do you not have the option to add generic waypoints (right, left etc). I tried putting these in manually but when I upload the route into Garmin Training centre it does not show the waypoints whereas bikeroutetoaster does. Am i doing something wrong? It's just I find mapmyride much easier to use.

Edit: I can't add waypoints in training centre as the supplied map has so little detail!

Thanks.

My Best Bike
  • AcademicX
    AcademicX Posts: 152
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by jashburnham</i>

I'm thinking about getting myself a Garmin Edge 305 with cadence and HR add-ons.....<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

James,

Did your Garmin Edge305 arrive OK and have you managed to fit the GSC10 sensor in a location where you can make use of the cadence ??
  • il_principe
    It did indeed and what a wonderful bit of kit it is. Managed to fit it on the chainstay ok although can't get it fitted as tightly as I'd like so it sometimes jogs out of position. Just wish the motionbased analyser stuff would work in firefox or safari as I can only view it at work at the moment...

My Best Bike
  • schlepcycling
    schlepcycling Posts: 1,614
    Hi,

Does anyone know if you can have average speed shown on the main screen of the Garmin 305?, I've been told you can show up to 8 different values i.e. speed, heart rate etc can one of these be average speed?.

Cheers[:)]

665 The Neighbour of the Beast
    'Hello to Jason Isaacs'
  • GeorgeShaw
    GeorgeShaw Posts: 764
    schlepcycling - Yes. As the eyes are going, I only have two fields on display, HRM and average speed.
  • schlepcycling
    schlepcycling Posts: 1,614
    GeorgeShaw - Thanks for the info, that's me sold I'm def getting one.

665 The Neighbour of the Beast
    'Hello to Jason Isaacs'
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    Just to let you guys know, ensure you backup your history on your pc to file.
    I and many others lost all history on pc!!
    I just connected garmin to upload latest ride and then I lost all history for last 4 months!!!!

Feel free to browse and donate:
    http://www.justgiving.com/davidbethanmills
    My winter and summer bike pics

http://oldwelshman.myphotoalbum.com
  • Latino
    Latino Posts: 52
    About Mac compatibility: Garmin Training Centre for Mac sucks big time. For a while I used Motionbased, but I never swallowed the software rental model they follow, so I stuck with the free version.

A couple of months ago I found Ascent (http://www.montebellosoftware.com/). This software for the Mac is really quite neat. Eventually I bought a license. It has a free trial, so give it a go.

I still use Motionbased when i want to share the ride details with other people, but the free version is good enough for that