Threadlock

pjiracek
pjiracek Posts: 13
edited December 1969 in Workshop
I was wondering if somebody gave advice on on which bike bolts to use thredlock and on which ones grease. Stupid question?

Comments

• my guess would be to put threadlock on bolts you really don't want to come loose and will rarely need to take apart? E.G> I put threadlock on my BB but grease on my pedals (I'm always changing pedals around)

On the 8th day God made a bicycle, and he saw that it was good. (actually personally he thought it was his best invention yet)
  • monty_dogcp
    monty_dogcp Posts: 382
    If it doesn't move, use threadlock, if it moves- grease it! You should use threadlock where there is no secondary mechanism for holding a fastener in place and prone to loosening under vibration e.g. bolts/ screws into blind holes e.g. stem bolts, bottle cage, cranks, brakes, chainring bolts, BB cups. You should use grease where parts are moving, over mating surfaces or to prevent creaking due to minor movement or where you need to prevent corrosion / seizing e.g. seatpost (not carbon), any bearings etc. Fortunately, many threadlocks are also very effective anti-seize compounds. Be careful on your selection of threadlocks, some are permanent and others are designed for removal and re-assembly. - check Loctite site for details
  • pbiggs
    pbiggs Posts: 9,232
    Threadlock is normally not required if the bolt or part is done up very tightly. I only use threadlock on things I can't or don't want to tighten very much. This can include alloy bolts/threads, or bolts with heads or nuts that round or strip easily.

<i>~Pete</i>
    <i>~Pete</i>
  • I've been using Shimano anti-sieze compound on a lot of bolts recently and it seems to work pretty well. Has anyone else got experience with this stuff?
  • The only place I use threadlock is on the L/H crank/BB bolt on my FSA chainset. Never thought it necessary anywhere else.

I am though a great believer in Copaslip (or equivalents). Use it just about everywhere, and most definitely on pedal/crank threads.

I've been Thamed !!