Park and Ride - London?

RufusA
RufusA Posts: 500
edited June 2007 in Commuting chat
Living a little too far out from the city for a comfortable commute (considering my current level of fitness), I was thinking about ways of part biking in to the city.

One thought was to fit a bike rack, and drive half the distance (from J11 M25), park up, and then cycle the interesting bit to my offices - North bank near Waterloo Bridge.

Does anyone else do this - is there a good place to park that's not going to cost the earth (and the car will be safeish) and a matched decent cycling route to the Embankment? Was thinking Richmond, Putney or similar!

Rufus.

Comments

• walkercp
    walkercp Posts: 1,012
    where do you live and how far is it from London?

Rhino's are the new Elephant
    Baby Elephants - free from artificial flavourings, colourings and preservatives
  • RufusA
    RufusA Posts: 500
    I live in Chertsey, just off J11 M25, a couple of miles SW of Weybridge.

Cycle maps suggests a journey of between 20 - 25 miles each way which is a bit much IMHO to launch myself in to.

Rufus.
  • akcp
    akcp Posts: 73
    Don't know the answer to be honest - but thinking of potential places to move, we quite like the Weybridge area and I got to thinking with the missus how I can commute as Weybridge -> City is a bit much and as I have started commuting on the bike for the past 9 months I really do not like the thought of British Rail. We have friends around Tolworth and Worcester Park and jokingly thought of parking the bike at a friends and driving the initial commute, parking up and hopping on to the bike! Your idea has great merit and it would be interesting if there is a decent solution.