move to compact chainset? and crank length??

lexcp
lexcp Posts: 51
edited June 2007 in Workshop
Hi

I'm currently running a standard campag centaur chainset on my bike, but dont get the chance to ride that much at the moment so am considering whether it's a good idea to swap the double for a compact chainset (live in sheffield so a few gradients in the peak district)...

I've got a square taper bb so looking for the older (up to 2006?) chainsets, a few turn up second hand. Would I notice the difference between 170mm cranks (on current bike) to 172.mm??? Might make it easier to find a new chainset!

Also am I likely to need new mechs - either front or rear or should the existing ones cope ok?

Thanks

Alex

FGG: 3773

Comments

• Uzbek
    Uzbek Posts: 486
    Alex,

There a vast numbers of threads about changing from standard to compacts if you use the search. The gist is, no new rear mech, front mech will work OK although CT mechs are a bit sweeter changing. Shorten chain by 1-2 links probably.

I'd be suprised if you'd notice that crank length change.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    If North Yorks Council spent as much on the roads each year as I do on my bike then I could spend less on my bike...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    If North Yorks Council spent as much on the roads each year as I do on my bike then I could spend less on my bike...
  • maddog_2cp
    maddog_2cp Posts: 73
    depends how you sensitive are to bike setup

<font size="1"><font color="purple">
    Drop bars are a historical accident...... discuss</font id="purple"></font id="size1">
    Drop bars are a historical accident...... discuss
  • monty_dogcp
    monty_dogcp Posts: 382
    A 2.5mm crank length change is probably imperceptable to most. Provided you stick to your existing cassette, then apart from shortening your chain by the requisite 3 links - 53 teeth down to 50, then you should be OK. Having done a similar change recently on one of my bikes, I find that it's the front mech up-shift that's affected most - you need to keep the chainring turning reasonably fast otherwise it can 'drop' the chain - I'll probably upgrade to a CT front mech at some stage in the future