What is a respectable time for a 10 mile TT?

Adeyman
Adeyman Posts: 9
edited June 2007 in Road beginners
I've never done any competitve cycling before but wondered about having a go at a 10 mile TT.

What is a respectable time that won't have the marshalls rolling about laughing?

Comments

• paul.dee
    paul.dee Posts: 156
    Just having the balls to ride it is enough, no one will laugh you will find people very supportive. The way to get better a TT is to ride them.
  • Garybee
    Garybee Posts: 815
    As above, just go down and ride it. You'll go a couple of minutes faster than if you did it on your own anyway so trying to get a certain time before you go along isn't really representative of what you're capable of.

Hypocrisy is only a bad thing in other people.

Hypocrisy is only a bad thing in other people.
  • Cunobelin
    Cunobelin Posts: 11,792
    20 seconds faster that your own Personal Best!

<b><i>He that buys land buys many stones.
    He that buys flesh buys many bones.
    He that buys eggs buys many shells,
    But he that buys good beer buys nothing else.</b></i>
    (Unattributed Trad.)
    <b><i>He that buys land buys many stones.
    He that buys flesh buys many bones.
    He that buys eggs buys many shells,
    But he that buys good beer buys nothing else.</b></i>
    (Unattributed Trad.)
  • tabs
    tabs Posts: 145
    How long is a ball of string? If you state your age, experience and level of fitness, a general answer can be given. As a rough guide, if you're between 20 and 30 years of age, riding 100-150 miles per week, 25 minutes is respectable after 4 or 5 attempts. If you're over 40, 27 to 28 minutes. Having said that, many veterans of 60+ with years of experience can do 22-23's.
    Just do your first one, make yourself sick at 9 miles, and hang on for the last mile, and fall off at the end. Then you'll have done your best!
  • ForumNewbie
    ForumNewbie Posts: 1,664
    This reminds of a recent article in Cycling Plus magazine about trying Time Trials. As a leisure cyclist I decided to read it out of interest. It started off saying anyone can enter and it doesn't matter about fitness levels or age. It then said it doesn't matter if your first time is 31 mins or 25 mins - as if 31 minutes is slow!! That put me off right away as I think I would struggle to get round a flattish 10 mile circuit in under 45 minutes. I am not a complete beginner, and now have a light tourer which I can go quite fast on - however there is no way yet I could get anywhere near to 30 minutes for 10 miles. Maybe if it was a really flat circuit with no uphill bits, but I still doubt it.
  • Adeyman
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by tabs</i>

How long is a ball of string? If you state your age, experience and level of fitness, a general answer can be given. As a rough guide, if you're between 20 and 30 years of age, riding 100-150 miles per week, 25 minutes is respectable after 4 or 5 attempts. If you're over 40, 27 to 28 minutes. Having said that, many veterans of 60+ with years of experience can do 22-23's.
    Just do your first one, make yourself sick at 9 miles, and hang on for the last mile, and fall off at the end. Then you'll have done your best!
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I'm over 40, fit and normally do 120+ miles per week.

Had a go very early this morning over a distance I'd previously measure at 10 miles between two roundabouts (5 miles each way).

Did it in just under 28 minutes but had loads left in the tank.
  • Positron
    Positron Posts: 191
    When I did my first I thought 30min (=20mph) was a nice figure to aim at and not unrealistic. As long as you start early and don't leave the timekeeper waiting for too long nobody will mind (and never commit the terrible crime of crossing the white lines in the middle of the road swinging out to a corner - although I think being shouted at by a marshall for doing this is a right of passage!).

p.
    Never order anti-pasta to arrive at the same time as pasta.
  • BeaconRuth
    BeaconRuth Posts: 2,086
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Adeyman</i>

Had a go very early this morning over a distance I'd previously measure at 10 miles between two roundabouts (5 miles each way).

Did it in just under 28 minutes but had loads left in the tank.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Perfectly respectable. Now go and find your local cycling club, find out when they hold evening 10's, go along, say you're new but would like to have a go and see what you can do under proper TT conditions. You'll receive a warm welcome, I've no doubt.
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    and there was me happy with my 31 mins personal attempt yesterday, although I did have to deal with pesky traffic and then swinging round when I realised the road in front of me had been closed!!

Guess I need to work a bit harder. That said it was only my second attempt of going for it balls out, and I had a bit left afterwards.
  • ClaireV
    ClaireV Posts: 967
    hammerite, just do a proper 10. You won't believe how much faster you'll go. I decided I had to go under 30 minutes for a self-timed 10 before even thinking about joining a club, and I only made it by about 4 seconds on the first go (on a route which I suspect had more downhill than up, but that was probably made up for by the traffic calming measures on the second half!). In my first proper time trial on a very windy day I did 29 minutes, and in the next one I did 27:30. It definitely takes some getting used to that level of effort, but once you've done a few they're not as horrible as the first one or two - and you'll recover much faster as well.
  • Dug
    Dug Posts: 153
    I think my first 10 time was around 25.30. Did my first 25 at the start of this season, since then I've ridden four 25s the fastest being 57.19 last weekend.
  • PostieJohn
    PostieJohn Posts: 1,105
    Mrs Postie would like to know what is acceptable for 'the ladies'.
    She's mid thirties, the height of Ronnie Corbett & has curves where they are needed.
    (Yes she is looking over my shoulder)

Hot dang, it's the soggy bottom boys
  • ClaireV
    I'd be interested to hear about that too. Just don't ask BeaconRuth though - her times are enough to sentence the mere mortals amongst us to a lifetime of feeling rather inadequate [:I].
  • J2R2
    J2R2 Posts: 850
    A 'respectable time' is the fastest time that YOU can do. If you've ridden your guts out then you've nothing to be ashamed of whatever time you do.

What sort of time you're likely to do depends on all kinds of factors, not least current level of fitness, previous cycling experience, etc. What time you do for your first event is not necessarily a guide to what level you will eventually be able to reach.

Just get on with it and ride one.

• CupraT
    CupraT Posts: 22
    Inspired by this thread I thought I would have my first go tonight.

Age 36
    Been riding 8 weeks though not ridden the road bike for 3 weeks (been on the hybrid) so a little wobbly to start with :)
    4th Day of exercise on the trot so a little tired to start with
    Done without warm up and a hill to start

Actually rode 11.3 miles from house to house (to make sure the overall route was balanced up and down hill) along a route with several stop starts due to traffic lights & turns into traffic etc. Also there was traffic calming humps over a mile of the 'course'

Time 33.01

To be honest this was pretty easy and I could have knocked a minute off if I had not got cramp in my calf with 2 miles to go.

Would love a go over a better route when I was a little fresher to see what I could do.
  • blackhands
    blackhands Posts: 950
    I've found that most riders are not particularly interested in what others do they are only interested in their own times and those of their mates. They are probably thankful that there are people slower than themselves. I speak from the experience of writing up the result board at loads of TT's - especially after having gone off number 1 and posting the slowest time.

As Mark Twain once said 'never worry what the man on the other side of the street thinks of you - he is only worried what you think of him'.
  • whiskywheels
    whiskywheels Posts: 628
    I think a respectable time is anything around 30 mins or average speed of at least 20mph. Below that, you're unrespectable (?grammar).
    I recommend, like other posters, doing a real TT; it really focuses you and gives you a kick!
    Adeyman, the marshalls won't be rolling about laughing. There probably won't be any. On tonights club 10 TT we didn't even have any numbers; shout at the timekeeper as you finish. I did 26.42 (age 53) but there were faster old 'uns and of course, faster young 'uns. It's great fun, and you race against yourself, but also against that old codger who beat you by 10 seconds last week.
    [;)]

www.whiskywheels.co.uk
  • Izembard
    Izembard Posts: 42
    I did my first and only 10 mile TT recently at Bickerstaff (site of last weekends national 25 mile TT). My motivation was the article and my methodology was to provide a guage to my summer training plans. I'm 43 and probably a stone overweight. I'm hoping to lose the stone by increasing mileage and some long runs and then try again towards the end of the summer. In the meantime I will do some measured balls out efforts on my own.
    For the record I did it in 30 mins 50 secs but much to everyones amusement I did go the wrong way at the turnaround roundabout. Nobody laughed (at my time) and in general apart from not breaking my personal target of under 30 mins it was a positive experience. It certainly focused my mind but I fully endorse the statement about vomiting at 9 and hanging on for the last mile, I can honestly say that for shear effort I put in 100% and almost fell off the bike at the end. I do think I went off too fast at the start and dropped off rapidly after about 5 miles, so tactics are a definate consideration. It doesn't help moral when your passed by someone who makes you feel your going backwards...but that's life and I have to accept that I'm not nearly fit enough...yet!!
  • ClaireV
    Don't worry Izembard, it happens even if you're going a little faster. When some of the super-speedy guys from my club go past I sometimes have to look down to see if I'm still pedalling...
  • Gary D
    Gary D Posts: 431
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Dug</i>

I think my first 10 time was around 25.30. Did my first 25 at the start of this season, since then I've ridden four 25s the fastest being 57.19 last weekend.

Having just read this whole thread, I think there is some very sound advice - but also some VERY unhelpful advice and comments such as the one above. [:(] Sorry Dug!

As a beginner, like Adeyman, if I had read comments like this and similar, it would have put me off completely. See post by ForumNewbie for a good example. However, I decided to give it a go in May.

I have managed only two TT's so far. First time I did 34' 30" and the second 32' 29" on different courses. Suffice to say, I was in the bottom 2 of over 20 riders. I make no apologies if that is "unrespectable" Whiskeywheels [:(!]

Was I unhappy? No. Absolutely NOT.
    Actually, I was as pleased as Pig in S*?t on both occasions.

On the first one I did, I'd said to myself that anything under 36 minutes would be OK. So, Job Done. On the second time, I hadn't ridden the course, so had no idea of a target time. As it happens, I did it 2 minutes faster, on what was I think, a harder course (1.8 miles of uphill at the end!). Therefore, an improvement, so I was happy [:)].
    My target is to go under 30 minutes before the end of the season - I can then hold my head up and be "respectable" [;)][;)]

I think the best and most sensible advice so far has come from J2R2. End of!!

To anyone contemplating their first 10 - just go ahead and give it a go. It is great fun. Remember, you are only racing against yourself.
    If any of my comments ring true and you have concerns, just make sure you don't do it with a Club where over 30 minutes is "unrespectable"!!

Sorry for the rant but this is posted in the Beginners section - not Race.

Gary.

Must try harder....
    Oh and I feel like I've been raped by an Orangutan :shock: And I've got legs like Girders :lol:
  • I couldn't agree more Gary D - I too found Dug's comments quite bewildering! As it happens I'm doing my first 25 tonight and have absolutely no idea how I'll go/pacing etc. If I'm being realistic anything around 1.20 and I'll be delighted.

http://www.eppinghardcru.co.uk
  • ClaireV
    I agree too. I know people who've trained really hard for years and years and still wouldn't be doing Dug's times for a 25. One of them has even represented Great Britain at Olympic Distance triathlon!
  • Adeyman
    Having done it in just under 28 on my first go on my own route, I'm going to try and do it between 26 and 27 over the weekend. And thanks to the encouragement here, I've now got a proper TT in mind a couple of weeks hence.
  • PhilofCas
    PhilofCas Posts: 1,153
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Gary D</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Dug</i>

Having just read this whole thread, I think there is some very sound advice - but also some VERY unhelpful advice and comments such as the one above. [:(] Sorry Dug!

As a beginner, like Adeyman, if I had read comments like this and similar, it would have put me off completely. See post by ForumNewbie for a good example. However, I decided to give it a go in May.

I have managed only two TT's so far. First time I did 34' 30" and the second 32' 29" on different courses. Suffice to say, I was in the bottom 2 of over 20 riders. I make no apologies if that is "unrespectable" Whiskeywheels [:(!]

Was I unhappy? No. Absolutely NOT.
    Actually, I was as pleased as Pig in S*?t on both occasions.

On the first one I did, I'd said to myself that anything under 36 minutes would be OK. So, Job Done. On the second time, I hadn't ridden the course, so had no idea of a target time. As it happens, I did it 2 minutes faster, on what was I think, a harder course (1.8 miles of uphill at the end!). Therefore, an improvement, so I was happy [:)].
    My target is to go under 30 minutes before the end of the season - I can then hold my head up and be "respectable" [;)][;)]

I think the best and most sensible advice so far has come from J2R2. End of!!

To anyone contemplating their first 10 - just go ahead and give it a go. It is great fun. Remember, you are only racing against yourself.
    If any of my comments ring true and you have concerns, just make sure you don't do it with a Club where over 30 minutes is "unrespectable"!!

Sorry for the rant but this is posted in the Beginners section - not Race.

Gary.

Must try harder....

Absolutely Gary, it's the taking part and your own personal enjoyment that counts, how someone can 'critisise' someone else's effort is being a little bit sad, anyone who takes part in them should only be encouraged/congratulated.
  • 2muchCake
    2muchCake Posts: 539
    As long as I've given my all then I'm happy. I've done four TTs so far ranging from 10 to 18 miles.

Tonight I'm doing a hilly (or as someone who has ridden the route before said to me: 'mountainous') 19 on fixed and I'm shi**ing myself. I'm not really bothered about time on this one, I just want to get round.

I'm a rubbish climber, but then TTs are all about the fun of pushing yourself outside your comfort zone.

Just get out and enjoy the burn!

• ForumNewbie
    ForumNewbie Posts: 1,664
    Good post Gary D.

I must admit in a Beginners Forum, I am amazed at the amount of people that are aiming and achieving 30 minutes or under first time.

I'm now determined to find a flattish course (on my own - not nearly ready to compete) just to see what time I could achieve. There is a quiet stretch nearby about 4 miles long which I regularly cycle down at the end of a ride on the way home. It is flattish but slightly downhill most of the way. If I don't have wind against and really get the head down I can get up to about 25 mph. If I was to make this road part of a 10 mile circuit, I would have to average 15 mph on the long straight slight uphill section, to average 20 mph overall and achieve 30 minutes. These figures aren't even allowing for slowing down for corners, roundabouts etc. No way have I the strength and stamina to achieve 30 minutes.

Interested to know what speeds people average on the uphill sections of their routes, assuming routes are not totally flat? Do you manage all 10 miles (including uphill sections) on the big gear cog? Any advice appreciated.
  • Izembard
    Izembard Posts: 42
    The course I did my one and only 10 mile TT on is one of the nationaly numbered official courses and as such I assume that it has been chosen because it is flat. Having said that it does involve negotiating three roundabouts, two of which are u turns and one of which is the entrance/exit on to motorway!!! I actually found it to be very scary. By the time i'd arrived at the second roundabout (the one with the motorway)i'd been going flat out for about 4 miles and to be honest was absolutely knackered. I had cars coming at me from all angles and I think its reasonable to say they did not have my total attention. So unless you are on a track their will be indiosyncracies on most circuits, flat or not so flat. However I think to be fair to yourself you need to find a pretty much flat course and guage your performance only on that. The national 25 championships were held at my course last weekend so I think that provides an indication of the terrain required. Wind... well that's another story.
  • Dug
    Dug Posts: 153
    eer, I'll get my coat and leave then. Seriously, sorry it wasn't meant to offend or try to put anyone off. In a way, it shows that you can progress quickly to decent times, and I was trying to demonstrate this.
  • Jonathan Mcp
    Jonathan Mcp Posts: 2,472
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Izembard</i>

The course I did my one and only 10 mile TT on is one of the nationaly numbered official courses and as such I assume that it has been chosen because it is flat. Having said that it does involve negotiating three roundabouts, two of which are u turns and one of which is the entrance/exit on to motorway!!! I actually found it to be very scary. By the time i'd arrived at the second roundabout (the one with the motorway)i'd been going flat out for about 4 miles and to be honest was absolutely knackered. I had cars coming at me from all angles and I think its reasonable to say they did not have my total attention. So unless you are on a track their will be indiosyncracies on most circuits, flat or not so flat. However I think to be fair to yourself you need to find a pretty much flat course and guage your performance only on that. The national 25 championships were held at my course last weekend so I think that provides an indication of the terrain required. Wind... well that's another story.

Teehee, my one & only TT was on this Rainford route, and personally speaking I didn't enjoy it, not because of physical effort, but becuase of the traffic! I don't usually ride the road on the bypass, but use the cycle path, so found being surrounded by cars doing 70+ a bit, well, dumb.

I'm not doing TT's down, but from reading the comic co many routes are based on flat dual carriageways, as a form of riding/competition, it just doesn;t grip me. good measure of fitness though.

<font size="1">It isn't growing up that stops us playing, it is stopping playing that makes us grow up.

Go and see my bikes</font id="size1">
  • PhilofCas
    PhilofCas Posts: 1,153
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Jonathan M</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Izembard</i>

Teehee, my one & only TT was on this Rainford route, and personally speaking I didn't enjoy it, not because of physical effort, but becuase of the traffic! I don't usually ride the road on the bypass, but use the cycle path, so found being <b><font color="red">surrounded by cars doing 70</font id="red"></b>+ a bit, well, dumb.

I'm not doing TT's down, but from reading the comic co <b><font color="red">many routes are based on flat dual carriageways</font id="red"></b>, as a form of riding/competition, it just doesn;t grip me. good measure of fitness though.

<font size="1">It isn't growing up that stops us playing, it is stopping playing that makes us grow up.

Go and see my bikes</font id="size1">

I've wondered about this for a long time, i take it these are the "fast" courses that are mentioned. Is it me, or are these TT'ers using the fast traffic as a tow if you see what i mean, surely they want there to be loads of cars/trucks going by as fast as poss, to literally blow them along. Please someone confirm my suspicion/thoughts or explain why they're held on busy carriageways ?