Sore feet

johncp
johncp Posts: 302
edited June 2007 in Workshop
I've just finished an 80 miler and, as usual, my feet have been killing me. There's a very sore spot under each foot, seems to be the joint about 2cm behind fourth toe. It's bad enough when I'm riding that I have to stop pedalling and pull the foot up to reduce pressure - don't get to go very fast like that! I get pins and needles in about the same place on shorter rides but that's bearable. Have changed shoes - now in Spesh BG - and pedals - from SPD to Look - didn't help.

Any other suggestions?

If you haven't got a headwind you're not trying hard enough
If you haven't got a headwind you're not trying hard enough

Comments

• nhdb13
    nhdb13 Posts: 133
    Fiddle with cleat position? Maybe you're doing the shoes up too tight/not tight enough? If that fails you could try getting an insole molded to the shape of your feet - I went to cylefit in Covent Garden for this and it made my foot pain a lot more bearable.
  • road-runner
    road-runner Posts: 8,630
    Could it be that your hot feel swell to wider than is comfortable in your shoes and their being compressed causes the numb, sore spot? I have one pair of shoes that do that and have solved it by not doing up the bottom of its three velcro straps. If you have laces, try starting lacing 3 or 4 holes up the shoe just to see if it solves it.
  • hevipedal
    hevipedal Posts: 2,475
    I had a thread about this last week, with me the pain was right in my toes like they were being cut off. This pain vanished as soon as I stopped. This indicates a nerve pain - ie caused by pressure on a nerve. Yours would also indicate nerve pressure - especially as you get pins and needles, this is not good. I tried to loosen my shoes a bit and part way round the ride yesterday loosened them off again. This helped but I also changed to the new Ultegra pedals; these cleats give a very broad coverage on the bottom of your foot.
    Also try to position the cleat as far back as possible so it's behind the ball of the foot rather than on it.
    It all helped for me.

<b><font color="red"> Hevipedal </font id="red"></b>
    Phrase of the week - <font color="red"><font size="3"><b> I've got a bike. You can ride it if you like.
    It's got a basket, a bell that rings and
    Things to make it look good.
    I'd give it to you if I could, but I borrowed it.
    </font id="red"> </font id="size3"> </b>

51yrs old and Proud of it - Made it to 87kg 2 more to go for the target.
    Pedal to Paris Sept 2007
    Hevipedal
    It's not only people that are irrational; 1.4142135623730950488016887242096980785696718753769480731766797379907324784621
  • rich g
    rich g Posts: 124
    Hi John I have been suffering the same problem yesterday i rode an audax
    so i
    Loosened the front of my shoes
    Wore very thin socks
    Rode up hills seated

It seemed to work best of luck
  • Surprised you are having trouble with Spec BG. I put off changing shoes for far too long because i had my Sidis setup with spd-r to transfer load away from big toe joint (where I had pain).

Finally had to switch (Sidis gave up ghost) and went for Spec Carbon Comp. Never had any problems with big toe. I did get severe toe cramps with Sidis on 120 mile hard rides. These have now finally gone after about 3000 miles in new shoes.

How long have u given BG's? Are they big enough? Are your feet particularly wide? A lot of my probs with foot cramp (I now know) were caused by the narrow Sidis. May be a case of waiting for your crushed feet to recover? Nerve damage will probably take while to repair.

I still get toe cramps when walking (as in hill walking). In fact they spoil my walking. So if anyone has any ideas for walking....