First 50

Rollin Bone
Rollin Bone Posts: 2
edited December 1969 in Road beginners
Hi Guys

I've been lurking around in the background for a while now, picking up lots of great advice and help. Started cycling for the first time this year at the young age of 43 and I am enjoying it imensley. Its seem the best bit of advice that Ive come across is get the mileage in and eat properly. So i did my first 50 this morning in 3hrs average speed 16mph, first 14 miles all hills. But Im seriously tired now[:0] seems this getting fit is a killer.

Regards RB

Comments

• Good work RB. get some fluids down ya [;)]

Mleh Mleh Mleh
  • Norvcp
    Norvcp Posts: 1,485
    Well done on the milage, sounds like a very good average to me. If you're feeling tired, just take it easy, you don't want to over-do it.

Keep asking questions. [:)]

"Prejudice burns brighter when it's all we have to burn"

"Prejudice burns brighter when it\'s all we have to burn"
  • pw1brown
    pw1brown Posts: 243
    Well done. I've been cycling for years and I'm still slower than you. But you're right - it's all about enjoying it.
  • road-runner
    road-runner Posts: 8,630
    16 mph sounds like a high average for someone who's recently started cycling. I'd not try quite so hard and you'll find that over the next few months your body will adapt to the demands cycling puts on it and your stamina and strength will increase.

Well done on the discipline of diet and exercise.
  • Rhubarb73
    Rhubarb73 Posts: 1
    I'm new to the forum so bear with me if this post is a bit long-winded.

I started cycling on the road in Feb this year to train for a charity ride. Managed my first 50 miler this weekend in 3h25m (ave. 14.7mph) but all hilly and hot & sunny.

I'm doing London to Amsterdam (300k in 3 days) next weekend and although Holland should be fine (no hills!) the UK leg is undulating and at 68 miles, 18 miles further than I've been before.

Anyone have any tips for those last 18 miles.

Thanks!
  • JWSurrey
    JWSurrey Posts: 1,173
    RB/Rhubarb - Welcome - this site's been just the tonic to get me out on sportives etc.

Nutrition hasn't been mentioned much here yet, as an aid to recovery as well as on-the-day performance:

I carb-load for 3 days before anything big, with an alcohol ban.
    i.e. Lots of pasta/potatoes/rice, and drink loads to get hydrated.
    I was lead to believe that any more than 3 days is not worth it.

I use Nuun, which is electrolytes with no carbs. It's the first bottle I drink on any ride, and the second bottle is plain water. Saves hosing off a sticky bike and hands and feeling as if I've spent the day getting fit whilst pouring something nasty down my throat.
    I carry carbs in the form of bananas and Torq/Cliff bars.

The advice I got was to sip fluids every 10 minutes, and aim to sink a 1-2 bottles every hour. Obviously everyone is different, and it depends on weather/power output.

I aim to ensure I never stop for more than 10 minutes, lest I seize up!

I also read in more than 1 place that your "glycogen window" when you finish a ride is 1 hour - so as soon as I finish, I get some carbs, since your body is most receptive to reloading during this window - which should reduce the aches on subsequent days.

A lot of people seem to go for a massage straight after finishing a ride.
    Booking a room with a bath is a good option!

A good way to watch for and avoid over-training is to use a heart rate monitor.

Lots of good advice in this month's C+

RB - That's a fast time.
  • I started a year ago too, I was 44, it takes me the same 3 hours to do 40 miles so you are doing well.

I made a leap from 20 milers to 40's but I don't think a 50 is in reach anytime soon. I am seriously tired when I get home after 40.
  • venster
    venster Posts: 356
    Well done on your first 50. I did mine yesterday so know the satisfaction. I did mine in 3 hrs too, but it seems you have almost 10 years 'experience' on me, so well done.
  • simbil1
    simbil1 Posts: 620
    RB, another thing you can do is sleep. I'm not being funny, if you are really tired when you get in; drink, stretch, eat and then sleep for a couple of hours. Might be worth setting your alarm clock so you don't find yourself waking up in the middle of the night wondering what happened :)

http://picasaweb.google.com/thefirstsimbil/Bikes
  • Blonde
    Blonde Posts: 3,188
    Yes, if tired, don't fight it, after eating some carbs and protein, (make a fruit smoothie with yoghurt in it, plus a bagel with ceam cheese or chicken or scrambled eggs on toast for a quick recovery snack) go to bed for a nap. Growth hormone is made whilst in deep sleep and your body needs this for recovery.
  • Mister Paul
    Mister Paul Posts: 719
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Rhubarb73</i>

I'm new to the forum so bear with me if this post is a bit long-winded.

I started cycling on the road in Feb this year to train for a charity ride. Managed my first 50 miler this weekend in 3h25m (ave. 14.7mph) but all hilly and hot & sunny.

I'm doing London to Amsterdam (300k in 3 days) next weekend and although Holland should be fine (no hills!) the UK leg is undulating and at 68 miles, 18 miles further than I've been before.

Anyone have any tips for those last 18 miles.

Thanks!
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Is that you Richard? Have you sorted my room key out yet?

• snakehips
    snakehips Posts: 2,272
    Hey , what is all this about doing 50 ?
    I did my first 50 miler (well , my first for about 25 years) on Saturday at an average of 16mph. Got home just before the deluge , most pleasing.
    I'm gearing up for the Dunwich , what's driving you lot?

Snake
    'Follow Me' the wise man said, but he walked behind!
  • well done RB , Im pretty new to the 40/50 milers. I get very tired afterwards, after an early morning cycle I like to hold out to Lunchtime (Sunday) and have a blissfull hours kip. Lovely

<font size="1">Work</font id="size1">
    <font size="1">Play</font id="size1">