Tapping noise from bottom bracket

toontra
toontra Posts: 1,160
edited December 1969 in Workshop
On my new (1000 miles) Dawes Audax 2006 there is a tapping noise coming from the bottom bracket. It started as a single tap once each rotation, but not in exactly the same place each time (if that makes sense). As I've done more miles it has become three or four taps each rotation, depending on pressure.

These noises aren't loud, but rather irritating, and I'm concerned that they could be an indication of a developing problem. Any ideas?

there's no such thing as steep hills - just the wrong gear

a serious case of small cogs

Comments

• Tony666
    Tony666 Posts: 274
    You don't have rear wheel reflectors fitted by any chance as that sounds very similar to this: http://www.cyclingplus.co.uk/forum/topi ... _ID=132564
  • toontra
    toontra Posts: 1,160
    No - I always take wheel reflectors off. But thanks for the suggestion.

BTW the bottom bracket is a Shimano sealed Octalink. Would it be easy to check the fitting of one of these?

there's no such thing as steep hills - just the wrong gear

a serious case of small cogs
  • gkerr4
    gkerr4 Posts: 3,408
    what type of bottom bracket is it do you know?

My ISIS bb on my trek pilot 1.2 went after around 800 miles - water ingres, corrosion, goosed - in that order..
  • gkerr4
    gkerr4 Posts: 3,408
    ah you see - you answered my question as I was writing it!

octalink aren't renowned for weakness (unlike my isis) should be easy to replace. cranks off with puller and octalink BB tool to remove.
  • palinurus
    palinurus Posts: 836
    Stuff that might make a noise while pedalling: Chainring bolts (any loose?) Saddle clamp? (slowly working loose?) Seatpost? BB-crank interface (loose or a bit of dirt in the interface?- although last time mine made a noise it was more a creak than a tick), pedals?
  • gbyers
    gbyers Posts: 164
    Try the chainring bolts - do them all and see if there is any slack. I had what sounds like a similar problem - rhythmic creak then clicking. Was sure it was BB but tightened chain ring bolts and problem disappeared.

________________________________________________________________________________
    Anyone expecting to see a witty and imaginitive signature here obviously hasn't seen my username.
    ________________________________________________________________________________
  • Lardyboycp
    Lardyboycp Posts: 104
    I thought a clicking noise was coming from the B.B. The clicking was driving me mad because it would come and go. Turned out to be right pedal! [:(!]

__________________________________________________________________________________________

I'm big boned OK!
    __________________________________________________________________________________________

I'm big boned OK!
  • Try the easy options first: grease the pedal threads and tighten the bolts on the chain rings.