Tingling feet and hands, plus sore woman bits

littlered
littlered Posts: 20
edited December 1969 in Road beginners
Hi, I'm new here but not new to cycling.
I got a new bike 2 years ago. I cycle to work and back everyday. Plus I like to go out cycling at night.

My bike is a mountain bike.

The hands get pins and needles and so does my feet. Got gloves witch help, but i dont know how to stop my feet getting the pins and needles feeling.

Also I get sore woman bits, got padded shorts but my bum's not numb it's my bits that get numb.

Can anyone help.
Thanx

Comments

• rick warner
    rick warner Posts: 112
    Given that you've got pins and needles in your hand it may be that you've got to much weight going forwards? Are the handlebars too far away from you? Also, my understanding was that women are often more comfortable with the nose of the saddle pointing very slightly down.

I guess you need to experiment with your set up but no doubt others will be along in a minute with a more scientific explanation.
  • DLB
    DLB Posts: 631
    pins and needles in your feet could be caused by your shoes being too small. I believe your feet expand when exercising and so this could be causing you the problem

*** Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're probably right ***
    *** Whether you think you can or think you can\'t, you\'re probably right ***
  • tabs
    tabs Posts: 145
    Sounds like your position is totally wrong, and normally each problem is going to need dealing with separately, only changing one thing at a time. However drastic measures need taking.
    Raising the bars should take pressure off your hands.
    Lowering the nose of the saddle may help your delicate parts, but so could the bar raising.
    Lowering the saddle may help your feet.
    This is going to take some sorting, and using a marker pen on the metal parts when you're moving things up and down will give a reference point when things begin to improve.
    Failing that, look out for a lycra clad cyclist and ask for advice!
  • jimmib
    jimmib Posts: 1
    I think you get pins & needles in your feet 'cos you do not move them when cycling and the blood flow to them decreases, getting some bigger shoes might help but make sure that they have stiff soles.

A womens specific design saddle is a good idea, they are wider and have a cut out section in the middle so that the soft tissue is not supporting your body weight (well that's what the trek catalog says anyway).
  • littlered
    Hi, thanx for all your reply's.

I went for a wee bike ride, tipped the seat back slightly and it adjusted how I sit on the bike, so not on the lady bits and more on my bum bones. Still not perfect but better.

I also raised the seat pole to see if it helped the feet problem, but didn't.

But I'll pop past the bike shop and see what they recommend about getting a higher stem.
    [:)]
  • If you have no luck at your LBS make an appointment for a fitting with Paul Hewitt in Leyland if that is anywhere near you. I think he charges œ25 for a fitting (free if you buy a bike)
  • You've not fallen for the Gel saddle con have you?
    On a proper saddle you sit high on your sit bones. On a gel saddle your sit bones sink into the gel and your bits come into contact with the saddle.

Check for Wimmins saddles. Terry do some good ones. Womens sit bones are further apart than mens so a proper woman specific saddle is important.

--
    <font color="red"><b>Basil W Brush</b></font id="red">
    --
    <font><b>Basil W Brush</b></font>
  • littlered
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Bloke on a bike</i>

You've not fallen for the Gel saddle con have you?
    On a proper saddle you sit high on your sit bones. On a gel saddle your sit bones sink into the gel and your bits come into contact with the saddle.

Check for Wimmins saddles. Terry do some good ones. Womens sit bones are further apart than mens so a proper woman specific saddle is important.

--
    <font color="red"><b>Basil W Brush</b></font id="red">

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

No it's a proper womans saddle, no gel, but the cut out part is covered???

Just had a look at my bike and yep it will need to go to the shop for a new adjustable stem (hay I'm a woman scared of braking my bike), it is way lower than my seat 3"lower than my seat. So that would sort that hand problem and possibly the lady parts problem.

To fully explain the nose of the seat is actually pressing on my lady bit [:I][:I][:I][:I] This is really [:I][:I][:I]How can I go in to a bike shop full of men and explain that!!!

Thanx for all your help.[:D]
  • BigBren
    BigBren Posts: 145
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">the nose of the seat is actually pressing on my lady bit<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

That being the case, could it be that it's too far back, forcing you to sit on the nose rather the main body of the seat? Adjusting it forward slightly should allow you to sit on the wider part of the seat, thus using your sit-bones rather than your 'lady bit'.

Meanwhile, do/don't ride over any cobbled streets, depending on personal preference! [;)]

Bren
  • This thread is making me wince.

I had a similar problem with my new road bike. I adjusted the tilt of the saddle and found that very helpful. I also find that vaseline is very useful in preventing delicate "bits" becoming mashed and raw on longer rides.
  • I wouldnt be embarrassed asking about this in your local bike shop...I am sure you are not the first lady on a bike to have similar issues. My experience of good bike shops is that they are understanding and decent people. Just look at the answers you have got here...nobody is laughing. I suffered badly from Numb Nutz syndrome, I went in and when asked if I needed help simply announced to the guy there in front of several other customers...
    "Yep, I need you to sort out my numb nutz for me"...that broke the ice allright[:D]
    If it really is that embarrassing for you why not call them first, explain the issue in private and arrange an appointment for you to bring in your bike...that way the discussion wont have to take place in the shop front.
    Or if you know any friends (female?)who cycle ask them to help you set up your bike.
    Gravity sucks
  • Don't be embarrassed about going in to the LBS...they've heard it all before. I'm in the process of recovering from the same problem(it can be quite scary feeling that much pain!!) but I went into my LBS and said I need a decent women's saddle cos I'm in bits.[:o)] The guy didn't even bat an eyelid and was even able to to discuss the merits of the different saddles without any nods or winks.
    And believe me, it's well worth risking the couple of minutes of embarassment...
    ooooh, what beautiful hairy baby elephant legs you have!
  • littlered
    Well I've just fitted a new seat, not had a chance to give it a go yet.

The man at the shop was talking to me like I was a numnut[8)]

YES it's a lady bike I have, yes it's a lady seat I have.[8)][8)][8)]

Any hoo, he told me that maby the seat is too far forward, this might help the hands and the lady bit problem.

Will give it a go, and the feet problem I have to buy proper bike shoes.
    That will be next months buy I think.

Will update you as to how I get on with my new seat and the farting about with the seat.

Thanx again for all your help[:D][:D]
  • Hi

With regard to saddles. I would recommend the Bontrager Race Lite WTB for road biking. It appears very thin but is surprisingly comfortable for the female body even after 100 miles. I had a selle Italia saddle (gel) which I just could not get on with. For Mountain biking I use a different saddle which is a WTB which I know is highly recommended for us females. Also it might be worth reviewing the shorts you wear as the pads can rub and cause discomfort. The Pins and Needles sounds like a circulation problem - as someone has already suggested might be worth having a bike fit done and if that fails pop along to see a chiropatic.

I hope this helps!!![:)]
  • littlered
    Hi thanks for the advice, I got a specialized Dolce seat, still waiting to go out to test it out, why does blooming Tescos have to wait till the last minuet to deliver the shopping[:(!]

I love being out on my bike but these problems just want to make me get off my bike too much[:)]
  • Hi,
    New here today!
    I'm so happy to read this thread, I did my first tri recently and REALLY suffered with the lady part issue after only 10 miles. Going home to adjust my saddle, apply vaseline and order extra padded shorts right now! Does anyone know where to order Campagnolo lady specific 1/2 shorts from?
    Thanks to all of you!!!!!
    :-)
  • littlered
    Hi, the bit dont half go numb[;)]do they
  • Bagonabike
    Bagonabike Posts: 2,239
    Hope you get on with your Dolce - I had one a few years ago, it worked wonders for my front bottom but it killed my bum bones.

Tried a Selle Italia Lady after that which suited me just fine one one bike, but when I bought a new bike with a lower riding position, it was just too painful and personal [:0].

That bike now has a Terry Tri-Gel on, it has a cut out and a bit more gel around the nose, which is great - have since managed 11 hours in the saddle with no problems and have bought another one for my old bike.

Problem is with saddles that no one size fits all, and most of them are damned expensive (thank god for eBay [:D]).

It took me months of tinkering round to finally get a comfy position, but was worth doing.

Do you have bar ends on your bike? Gives you a bigger choice of hand positions - I find flat bars make my hands ache even if the set up is right.
  • littlered
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Bagonabike</i>

Hope you get on with your Dolce - I had one a few years ago, it worked wonders for my front bottom but it killed my bum bones.

Tried a Selle Italia Lady after that which suited me just fine one one bike, but when I bought a new bike with a lower riding position, it was just too painful and personal [:0].

That bike now has a Terry Tri-Gel on, it has a cut out and a bit more gel around the nose, which is great - have since managed 11 hours in the saddle with no problems and have bought another one for my old bike.

Problem is with saddles that no one size fits all, and most of them are damned expensive (thank god for eBay [:D]).

It took me months of tinkering round to finally get a comfy position, but was worth doing.

Do you have bar ends on your bike? Gives you a bigger choice of hand positions - I find flat bars make my hands ache even if the set up is right.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Thanx for the advice, just been out for 1 1/2 hours. My bits are fine and like you said my bum bones are a little achey but not that bad. Had my seat back and that sorted my hands. Feet problem wrong shoes. I wore my really old work hiking shoes and no sore or tingly feet.

I'm one happy camper[:)][:)][:)][:)]

I love being out on my bike, for me it's just about toodling along looking at the scenery and finding new back roads. Loving it[:D][:D][:D]
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    Same problems with men - sore bits, although once that's sorted, men still need to make sure certain things are in the right place as it's very uncomfortable if not...... Trying to adjust things when you have bib shorts and bib tights on, and in public, just doesn't happen [:I]

Next might be worth investing in MTB shoes and possibly clipless at some point !
  • littlered - Put off my ride last night as bits still numb and sore from Sunday!! (swam this morning instead - boring!
    What did you adjust before going out for 1 1/2 hours? did you tip your seat forward?
    Will adjust my seat tonight. Will also have a long hard look at saddle and compare it to some of the models suggested on here.
    Thanks everyone :-)
  • littlered
    I got a new seat a Specialized Dolce Womans seat. I never done much, just had to go out on my bike and get off and adjust it every so offten till it felt comfey. Pain in the neck but worth it.

I once was out on my bike from 10am till 5pm, bits were numb for days[8)][8)]
    The feeling does come back.[:D]

Happy cycling
  • <font size="1"><font size="2">The feeling does come back[:D]</font id="size2"></font id="size1">

That has to be good news!