Cracked Madone 6.5 carbon frame!!!!

phildorman
phildorman Posts: 26
edited June 2007 in Workshop
I could do with some serious advice,
I was out on a cycle today and when I got back, I noticed that the top tube on either side has small cracks, the lacquer seems to be chipping away and the cracks run for 6-7cm (both sides). I havent got house insurance that would cover a cracked bike frame of this value.

Should I return it to the dealer, I purchased it from, Problem is, I live in N Ireland and the dealer is in England....and I'm really worried that it looks like I have damaged the bike myself because of the paint chipping off, and Trek not replacing the frame.

Any advice would be really welcome right now
cheers

Comments

• Trek should replace the frame under warranty contact the dealer immediately, failing that contact Trek Uk for advice. The contact details are here ://www.trekbike.co.uk/contact.php
  • phildorman
    Thanks v much, do you know if Trek are sticky about replacing frames?
  • Markta
    Markta Posts: 767
    Yeah, I fully agree; a phone call first thing tomorrow to Trek UK 01908 282626 for the procedure for warranties etc.

Mmmmm...I was only discussing this frame on our Sunday club run today. Interested to know whether it's cracked at the part where the carbon is very thin, at the head tube end of the top tube.

http://mrkta.myphotoalbum.com/albums.php
  • phildorman
    No its near the saddle end about 6 inches from the seat post, can't believe it, such a brilliant frame as well.

Cheers for the phone number
  • lifetime warranty on trek carbon frames iirc

Mleh Mleh Mleh
  • phildorman
    iirc? Dont get it
  • Markta
    Markta Posts: 767
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by phildorman</i>

iirc? Dont get it

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

iirc = If I recall correctly...

Re Trek replacing frames, my LBS who sold me my Madone said that they are very efficient with warranty claims and are generally fair with replacements

• phildorman
    Ah.....cheers.
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Markta</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by phildorman</i>

iirc? Dont get it

iirc = If I recall correctly...

Re Trek replacing frames, my LBS who sold me my Madone said that they are very efficient with warranty claims and are generally fair with replacements

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote"><i></i><s></s>
    Bleedin' have to be if they keep cracking! [:D]

SIZE IS EVERYTHING! or at least that's what my LBS tells me.
  • Adam Tranter
    Adam Tranter Posts: 621
    Trek are normally pretty good with frame replacements, they do various tests and from experience will be able to tell if you've done it yourself. If you haven't, you have nothing to worry about.
  • "such a brilliant frame as well."

Does such a frame simply "crack"?

d.j.
    "The Angels have my 'phone box."
  • phildorman
    Yeah, problem is the way the lacquer is chipping off it, it looks as if I have banged it, which I haven't, seriously worried about that.
  • Trek are pretty good at warranty replacements, my mate has had about 3 frame replacements for his carbon time trial bike. It seems to be a recurring problem, hairline cracks and lifting lacquer.

If you like a lot of chocolate on your biscuits.....you'll get fat!
  • phildorman
    Legend, I needed a bit of encouragement.

Cheers
  • top_bhoy
    top_bhoy Posts: 1,424
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Munster</i>

Trek are pretty good at warranty replacements, my mate has had about 3 frame replacements for his carbon time trial bike. It seems to be a recurring problem, hairline cracks and lifting lacquer.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Note to self: Keep away from Trek carbon time trial bikes!!

This is my bike:
    http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p66/ ... ure001.jpg
    http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p66/ ... ure002.jpg
    http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p66/ ... ure003.jpg
  • monty_dogcp
    monty_dogcp Posts: 382
    As long as the crack hasn't been due to a crash or abuse, I'd be confident of getting a replacement, but don't assume that you can hide crash damage as a warranty claim - crash damage looks very different from typical stress or defective manufacture problems.
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by davej</i>

"such a brilliant frame as well."

Does such a frame simply "crack"?

d.j.
    "The Angels have my 'phone box."

This will most likely be the filler that is used when the joint is made moving. Frame has more thsn likely not failed. Trek are very good at replacing frames with this problem.

Take the frame to your nearest Trk Dealer and they can ship it back FOC.

Not common but does happen on lugged frames.

Monocoque Frames - Don't get me started.
    Racing is life - everything else is just waiting
  • gralegav
    gralegav Posts: 94
    [/quote]

Monocoque Frames - Don't get me started.
    [/quote]

DTR,

Do tell, I'm intrigued!
  • phildorman
    its just such a hassle, having to send the frame back, totally wrecked my racing season.
  • FrankM
    FrankM Posts: 129
    Agree - Trek are good at replacing frames. I have a Trek MTB frame (not carbon but their own brand of lightweight aluminium) which cracked in the bottom bracket area and they replaced it after a few weeks (they were having problems getting hold of one the same size and had to ship it over from the US).
  • Wonder if they'll send you one of the new Madones as the replacement?
  • Adam Tranter
    Adam Tranter Posts: 621
    <b>Wonder if they'll send you one of the new Madones as the replacement?</b>

Probably not. We had a customer with a 5.5 and they shipped it from States where there is still stock. If you send one back next year though, you'll probably get the newer frames.
  • phildorman
    That would be nice, the guy at Trek told me that if they would replace it, it was going to be coming from the US