Bigtallfatbloke
Bigtallfatbloke Posts: 232
edited June 2007 in Road beginners
...too dangerous?
Gravity sucks

Comments

• DavidTQ
    DavidTQ Posts: 943
    Ive never before thought it was safe to cycle with an ipod, but since I got a mirror on my bike I find im barely using my ears at all to sense traffic the mirrors far more reliable and accurate. I can see stuff from the rear long before I hear it. Im not confused by distances, volumes and tones. Im not currently using an ipod, but I would now consider it.
  • Jim50
    Jim50 Posts: 45
    I would suggest to use one ear and not to put it too loud so as to prevent you hearing noises around you if you are going to use it
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    I wouldn't do it under any circumstances. I like to hear what's around me personally.

SIZE IS EVERYTHING! or at least that's what my LBS tells me.
  • I wouldn't, but then again i can hardly hear anything when i'm riding anyway

Mleh Mleh Mleh
  • DLB
    DLB Posts: 631
    When i first started cycling (as an adult) i listen to an mp3 player.

Then having read some posts on here i thought it was better not to.

However recently having read another thread on here somebody wrote that "if i am going to get hit from behind, whether i have an ipod on or not won't make a difference". I realise that listening to music does make riding slightly more dangerous, but if you are aware of the road and watch for traffic behind when necessary, i think it is safe enough.

*** Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're probably right ***
    *** Whether you think you can or think you can\'t, you\'re probably right ***
  • Dave Gcp
    Dave Gcp Posts: 731
    I do on most training rides (solo efforts anyway) and I don't find it too disadvantageous. 95% of my riding is on open country roads A, B and unclassified. I accept the extra risk, but consider it small.

It's personal choice I suppose.

Deaf people ride bikes and live to tell the tale!

Dave G
    Dave G
  • penugent
    penugent Posts: 913
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by giant man</i>

I wouldn't do it under any circumstances. I like to hear what's around me personally.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I agree

Pete
    (Not reckless, just fast)
  • 2191flint
    2191flint Posts: 803
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by penugent</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by giant man</i>

I wouldn't do it under any circumstances. I like to hear what's around me personally.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I agree

Pete
    (Not reckless, just fast)
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Seconded, or should that be thirded? Anyway I get loads of wind noise in my lugs when I cycle, so I don't think I'd be able to hear my MP3 because of the whistling wind. My opinion is that's not really a good idea to be distracted like this, but why would you want to listen to music whilst cycling anyway? Just enjoy the cycling experience, it doesn't need to be accompanied by music.

A turkey is just for Christmas, not for life.

Me and my bike- http://aolpictures.aol.co.uk/galleries/flintosaur9/
    Signature free - with immediate effect.

Me and my bike- http://aolpictures.aol.co.uk/galleries/flintosaur9/
  • nathanb74
    nathanb74 Posts: 270
    There was an Australian girl kiled last year whilst using one in west london and she became a sped bump for a lorry. I train on A, B & unclassified roads also but still would not wear one. It's just thinks it's not worth chancing it. If you want to wear one when riding do it on the turbo trainer.

Previously Brisbane, Australia now East Sussex UK
  • i'm sure this has been done before [V]

Mleh Mleh Mleh
  • gkerr4
    gkerr4 Posts: 3,408
    yep - done to death before.

personal choice - it isn't outlawed yet, although I am sure it won't be long before there is come nanny-state legislation put in place.

I do on every solo ride - it helps keep me going and ultimately no louder than the wind noise in yer ears.
  • Krypton
    Krypton Posts: 466
    The one thing to note about iPod earphones is they are "open" not "closed", i.e.; they don't block out external noise, so you can "hear" with them on.

I use an iPod Shuffle on most all my rides, and don't feel it puts me in any danger, and am still very aware of the traffic noises around me.

My main tip would be to keep the volume down. Make the music a part of the noises/sounds you can hear, rather than <i>all</i> you can hear!

--
    Stopped smoking, saved a fortune. Started cycling, spent it all! - PS, don't <b>CLICK THIS LINK!!</b>
    --
    Stopped smoking, saved a fortune. Started cycling, spent it all!