Advice please on fixed build

Tail end Charlie
Tail end Charlie Posts: 352
edited June 2007 in Road general
The answer to this would probably be in the 'sticky' which seems to have been removed.
I have bought a frame to convert into a fixed to see if I like it, rather than buying off the peg.
It is a old Dawes frame, 6 speed cassette, twin chainwheel and the gap at the rear is around 130mm.
I'll need new handlebars and brakes (calipers) and a set of wheels.
What should I be looking for. I won't be building the wheels myself but will be getting my LBS to do it. Will I be able to use one of the existing chainwheel cogs? (48 and 36)
Any advice on good hubs or brakes would be more than welcome.

Comments

• "It is a old Dawes frame, 6 speed cassette, twin chainwheel and the gap at the rear is around 130mm.
    I'll need new handlebars and brakes (calipers) and a set of wheels."

Are you sure it's a cassette and not a screw on block? If it IS the latter then if cheap is the aim, you won't need new wheels. Screw off the block, screw on a fixed sprocket VERY tightly, re-space the axle/redish the wheel as necessary: rear end sorted! With a 48 up front (see below), a 19 or 20 will give you a standard "beginner's" gear.

If separate chain rings, then probably best to remove and refit the 48t on the innner mountings (easier to get a better chainline). Ideally you'll want single ring chain bolts, but some time with a file and/or a few washers will suffice.

That'd do as a taster before you throw big money at the fixed experience!

Opinion only, you understand.

d.j.
    "The Angels have my 'phone box."
  • monty_dogcp
    monty_dogcp Posts: 382
    Front wheel will be OK, but whilst Dave's suggestions will get you started, it won't be very strong and you may suffer from premature hub failure - you'll need a solid rear axle too - best bet will be to look at a something like Goldtec rear hub if the bug bites you. You can also use an old BB lockring on your rear hub as an impromptu lockring. Your standard 3/32" chainrings will be fine for fixed use - just make sure you get a 3/32 sprocket. Brakes will depend on the depth of drop, but even the basic Tektro deep drop calipers should be OK with decent cartridge pads. Check is you wheels are 27" or 700c BTW
  • I have just done this for the same reasons!

I used an old Raleigh touring bike. I simply removed the gear block, screwed on a 16 tooth sprocket (St Johns St Cycles, Bridgwater) œ3.99. I have not used a lockring btw. I have removed all extraneous bits, gear changer, deraillieur, back brake, tarted it up with some new bar-tape (œ4.50, lbs) and I am having great fun with it. No doubt at some point, either the bug will bite and I'll be into something purpose built or the wheelset will give out then ditto above. For the moment though I am having great fun on it. The best bit though, is that the bike cost œ4 from the tip, I have spent œ8.49 on it =œ12.50. I sold the original pedals and gear changers etc on e-bay for a total of œ23[:D] Re-cycled, now a free-cycle.

Good Luck.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/26011722@N00/
  • Thanks for your replies, they have given me some ideas I hadn't thought of or known. Yes, it is a screw on block so I can get cracking now !!